Author Topic: Bass Drum Mic?  (Read 6507 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Bass Drum Mic?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »
Yep, the .nl in highlite.nl means it's Dutch.
As in NetherLands

But I bet they don't have a problem with shipping overseas.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »
Yeah, if you solo that channel you get a thumm-thumm  and not much more, that mic has a lot of low end and very little hi end, which is actually OK cuz you don't want a lot the other drum noise bleeding in there.  The impact of the kick turns up in the overheads and any mic used for the snare bottoms.

Ok, you've got my undivided attention with this CAD mic. The kick likely be the only mic'd drum, and I've got a Shure 58 for vocals behind the drums too. I'm just looking to give the kick a little boost and I'm hesitant to spend $200. We stick pretty much to the blues with a little jazzy stuff and straight ahead rock , so I'm thinking good thump with just enough attack to know it's there. Do you think this thing will satisfy my needs?

ThunderBucker

• View Profile
    • ThunderBucker Ranch - quality pickups and homebrew
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
did you check out the sound clips that carlo posted (link just above the picture of the kit). The bassy part of the kick drum is coming from the CAD mic.  the attack is coming from the condensor near the snare bottom.  For what you say you need, It seems this mic could do it, and like I said, it's not too much money to risk.  Buy it, if you don't like, send it back

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:52 PM »
Thanks ;D. Somehow I missed the sound clip and just looked at the picture :-[
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »
Yep, the .nl in highlite.nl means it's Dutch.
As in NetherLands

But I bet they don't have a problem with shipping overseas.

I understood that Highlite was a Dutch site, I meant there didn't seem to be an American distributor.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
D'oh, thanx Dave   :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 04:26:53 AM »
I ordered the CAD. It's on back order and should be here in a couple of weeks. I don't normally take the cheap route but this time I did. This thing will only see limited action outside my basement, and again, it's job is just to provide a little boost. My biggest concern is solid low end and it looks like this thing has got lots of that. My Mackie board has got some features that should help it along too. My speakers are better in the vocal range but should have enough juice on the low end to get the job done. I just need more low end thump than what a Shure 57 can provide, they have a tedency to ring a little rather than thump . Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Rick

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 05:14:04 AM »
My CAD mic showed up on the front porch yesterday via UPS. Plugged it in,gave the EQ a tweek or two and it sounds great ;D. Compared to the Shure 57 there is a world of difference :o. This thing brings in the thunder. I was a little concerned that my 1st series EON monitors would not reproduce the bottom well enough but they sound great. I'm sure there are much better mics out there than my $69 CAD but this thing sounds great and will do everything I'm looking for. My drummer won't get a crack at it till tommorow night but I think he will be very pleased too. My New Mackie VLZ3 16 channel board has got a pretty good mic preamp(better than most) and whatever this mic is supposed to be lacking, it ain't. The PRX mains really do the kick sound nice too.
I was researching a couple of drummer forums and their opinions were all over the place. A $200 mic seemed to be the bare minimum with Shure 52 Beta and Audix leading the way. Others had bottom lines of $500 and some insisted that $2700 was the minimum you could get by with. A couple of people said ,if you can't get a good sound out of a Shure 57 you should buy a new PA ??? There were a few kind words for the cheap CAD but it was mainly a you get what you pay for world.
Anway, I'm happy and I think my drummer will be happy. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction guys ;D.
Rick

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 05:38:36 AM »
OK, I just had to post a follow up on this CAD kick drum mic. My lead guitarist is a real perfectionist and he has been reading all the drum forums and he could settle for nothing less than the "best" in a kick drum mic. So he went out and bought an Audix D6 which he reffered to as "the best kick drum mic in the world, hands down". I kept all the PA settings the same and unplugged the CAD and plugged in the Audix. It had a lot of click(which I don't really like) , it was about the same in volume (maybe a little less) and the bottom end just dissappeared. Even when I boosted the low end on the board the Audix paled by comparison. I'm glad this is not a drummers forum because I don't think anyone would believe a word of what I'm saying :o. This CAD mic is definately not everyones cup of tea, based on what I've read, but in a side by side comparison and in my opinion, this $69 cheapo knocked the snot out of the $200 Audix ???. The Audix won in the click department but that's the only place , and again I don't like click , I like bottom. YMMV.
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »
Got this from ThunderBucker last week.  Cut with that same CAD bass drum mic. One man band including the engineering.  Definitely not a 'click' bass drum.

http://snd.sc/N6bhXo

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Yep, it was ThunderBucker  who sold me, and I'd like to say thanks again ;D. I play mainly blues and I like the bottomy sound. If you want to bring on the thunder, this cheap little CAD mic is it. The complaints people had with them is that they were tough to EQ and they were too muddy. I had none of that with my PA. In fact , quite the opposite.  I could get close to the Audix sound with a Shure 57 and a little tweeking but I didn't like it. If this were a drummers forum I can pretty much assure that I'd be getting called a liar and in general be getting my butt kicked from one end of town to the other.
I know what I like to hear and I got it for $69  ;D. The " best kick drum mic in the world , hands down" is back in the box it came in and on it's way back to where it came from. I'm sure it will make somebody else very happy :P.
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
Modern drummers have been conditioned to want that godawful "click" on a bass drum by badly produced rock music. Most of them also don't know what good drums are supposed to sound like either.

I like a bass drum to sound like it does. My secret weapon for that is to use a small wired lavelier condensor mic. The small diapraghm does't overload from the air pressure and most old ones are omnidirectional, so you have a lot more options in placement and you can pick them up used very cheaply. You can pick up a used Sony ECM35 or 45 for $30, and as a bonus, they can be battery powered so you don't have even have phantom on the board. Their very small size is a liability in a live sitaution because their cord can get yanked and not even noticed, so I wouldn't take one on the road, but try one some time. Also, with some tape on the tie clip teeth to guard the finish, clip one inside the f-hole on an upright and be amazed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:26:06 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 06:22:53 AM »
I thought I was pretty much alone on my lack of love for the click. That click is what the very overwhelming majority looks for. It's something I try to tweek out ???  With the CAD you don't have to.  I dunno, maybe old dogs aren't meant for new tricks :P.
Rick

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »
I know what I like to hear and I got it for $69  ;D. The " best kick drum mic in the world , hands down" is back in the box it came in and on it's way back to where it came from. I'm sure it will make somebody else very

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to add to this for posterity.

The D6 is not universally accepted as the best kick mic ever (though it is in Metal and Hardcore circles; outside of that, it's a game of preference).  It is actually a very coloured mic - your kick won't sound like your kick, but like a D6. The reason for the popularity is it's cutting power; what people above are calling 'click.'  To get a bit of that (I agree the D6 is a bit too overboard with it, but if it's a busy mix, like2 or more guitards with Les Pauls etc) try adding some EQ boost to the kick track somewhere around 7K (give or take depending on drum size and tuning).  Not as drastic as the emphasis in the D6, but just enough to get the kick poking through in case of a low end riot.

As for my recomendations:

Budget:

AKG D112:  steer clear if you don't like the scooped sound (not as bad as some others) but it's a good mic if you're into it. I prefer it to the Shure Beta 52 or any other affordable dedicated kick mic that I have tried (never actually tried the CAD).

Apex 205 or 210 ribbon:  Yes a ribbon.  Seriously.  If you want old school thump (and/or need to beef up a somewhat lean PA) this is a great choice.  The trick to not blowing the mic (ribbons are sensitive) is to point the, in this case, top null (figure 8 pickup patter:; the mic picks up almost nothing from the sides/top/bottom) at the kick beater (I would only use this on a drum with no front/resonant head; also works great in concert toms/timbales and other traditionally single-headed and lower pitched drums).  The 205 is also really good on vox and guitar and drum room or inbetween 2 toms (fig 8 remember  8) ).  The 210 I have not used on anything other than drums (also good for room/toms, but I suspect, from what I know about this mic, that it might not be as good for vox and guitar; little more slurred and muddy; the 205 was the updated improved version, though the yoke mount is more solid on the 210).  The 205 is also sold under other brands (some with better mouints) but the Apex one is usually the cheapest (at least here in the Great White North; usually can be had for 99 and you will find a use for it, even if not on drums).

Best (IMHO):

Beyer M88:  yep, actually a vocal mic (used by Phil Collins), but also renowned for being awesome on kick (also due to Phil Collins).  Bonus: very useful for other tasks as well (including bass and vox)

Elevctrovoice RE20:  this is the hifi kick mic.  Your drum will sound like itself.  Again, very versatile mic (almost no proximity effect) great for bass, guitar and vox as well.

Heil PR30 or 40:  similar to the EV RE 20 in that it is a large diaphram dynamic with little proximity effect and very good off axis rejection (very important if you have a solid front/resonant head) but a little differant.  Kind of a modern reinterpretation.  Also good for vox, bass and guitar.  Heil also makes a dedicated kick mic; same capsule as a PR30/40 but more robust to take a beating on the road or in front of lead-footed drummers.  The trade-off is significant loss of top end (and therefore versatility).  It's called the PR48 but I haven't tried it.  Might also be OK for bass but won't be good for vox (other than in an effecty sort of way); thinking about getting one to try.  These are the most affordable in this category.

Vintage classics:

AKG D12:  expensive and many are now falling apart (replacement diaphrams all but used up last I heard), but if there is a single no-limits (price and availability wise) mic that the clear majority of experienced recording engineers would ask for to put on kick, it's this one. ... OK,  an argument might break out over this vs a Neuman U47 (and those overacheivers who'd say 'both'), but that's to pricey for schmoes like us to use on vox much less kick.

Personally (as a drummer and recording engineer) I have never been a fan of the Shure Beta 52.

Yep, it was ThunderBucker  who sold me, and I'd like to say thanks again ;D. I play mainly blues and I like the bottomy sound. If you want to bring on the thunder, this cheap little CAD mic is it. The complaints people had with them is that they were tough to EQ and they were too muddy. I had none of that with my PA. In fact , quite the opposite.  I could get close to the Audix sound with a Shure 57 and a little tweeking but I didn't like it. If this were a drummers forum I can pretty much assure that I'd be getting called a liar and in general be getting my butt kicked from one end of town to the other.

There is an important lesson here (besides ignoring the online hype machine... or at least taking it with a rather large-sized rock of salt).  Sometimes (i.e. with a PA that is a bit shy with the bass as you mentioned earlier) a muddy mic (i.e. bass heavy) is exactly what you need to get that umph.

It's kinda like how one of the best recording bass sounds I ever stumbled across (I never would have thought; total accident) was my 65 EB3 (full mud) through a crappy solid state Peavey Bandit guitar practice amp (10 inch guitar speaker; open back) which is my bench test amp (because nothing sounds good through it and nobody wants to buy it, but it works fine). Useless live due to low volume and no headroom, but in retrospect totally complimentary and I should have thought of it years ago. .
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:54:49 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 05:54:50 AM »
I really like that CAD mic ;D. If you had a PA that was running a buch of big subs it may be too bottomy and mixing it in could be a challenge , but with my set up it is great. A lot of reviews I read stated that it was tough to mix, but in my case it was simple. I have to keep  it down a bit on the monitors or I start hearing the speakers crack (3 JBL EON 1st series 185 watts w/ 15" and horn) . They are not real strong on the lower end but my mains (2 JBL PRX  1000 watts w/ 15"and horn) bring on plenty of lows. The Audix was the one that was tough to mix. It didn't have the lows and it had slightly less power.  When I used the CAD settings and plugged in the Audix in, there was no comparison . The CAD kicked the Audixs' butt in bottom and volume. I fooled around with the mic position a bit but it still couldn't catch up to the CAD.  When I moved the CAD around in drum , it seemed to work well wherever I put it. Real easy to work with.I really don't know why these things aren't more popular ??? I guess it's just not the sound most drummers are looking for. I like it ;D.
Rick