Author Topic: One Jazz Bass to forever pacify the Undecided ...  (Read 6025 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: One Jazz Bass to forever pacify the Undecided ...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 05:59:46 PM »
they should have made it half fretless, half fretted

Likie!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
Musicman should build something like that for the douches on the EBMM forum who are so indecisive that they start polls asking advice about which colour they should buy.

If Sterling made one, bet it would cost a lot less.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:18:00 AM »
I played the patchwork bass too... Of course it's just to get attention and it works!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 03:26:57 AM »
Are they considering a re-write of Dolly Parton's Coat Of Many Colors for the up-coming commercial ?  ;)
Experience is the ultimate teacher

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 04:58:12 AM »
that style of bass wanking is what i hear in my head when i see a bass player magazine in the bookstore. :P
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 09:34:27 AM »
I tried listening to bass soloists like Stu Hamm and others and it's mind numbing (for me) to listen to solo bass playing after 10 minutes.  I just can't get into it and it bores me to tears.  I feel the same about drum solos that last for more than 90 seconds.  Give me a bass that is an integral part of a team of musicians any day!

Ditto. Brings to mind a statement made by Rocco Prestia years ago in an interview (paraphrased):

"I feel like I'm soloing all the time - I never actually step out and take a solo."

Bass as part of the bigger picture is what I strive for. I can still incorporate all sorts of ghost notes, mutes, scales and modes into my playing to keep things interesting for me and add to the layering effect. At the end of the day, listening to someone shredding on a bass leaves me cold. Give me Kenney Gradney of Little Feat anyday.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 12:45:17 PM »
Amen guys!  I admire the soloists and am humbled by their skills, but after awhile (a very short while), I want some music from a band!  That's where the joy is for me!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
Are they considering a re-write of Dolly Parton's Coat Of Many Colors for the up-coming commercial ?  ;)

Even Dolly wouldn't go for something that garish.  :)

Amen guys!  I admire the soloists and am humbled by their skills, but after awhile (a very short while), I want some music from a band!  That's where the joy is for me!

Same here. Bass wankers are free to explore however they wish, but I won't be tuning in. I want to hear bass as part of the song.