Author Topic: NAD sort of  (Read 2468 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
NAD sort of
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
thanks to a few of you I have been returning to my tube roots,  more on a collection versus gigging basis but....

over the last year or so i have "found" 2 ampeg  B 15S's,  a early 70's B15N and am awaiting repair and delivery of a mid 60's b15.  Most recently i have been on a musicman search and have found a few  HD 130 heads and received a 2 12 cab on sunday.  

required pix.

with flash

Cabinet on the right is the 15 JBL ,  on the left 2 12's 4 ohms. Head on the left has still strong EL 34's Sylvania IIRC and the other I just had my tech put in some JJ 6ca7's.  So far i like the JJ's.  seem beefier all around.  better lows and stronger mid, less bright.  

While on my tube kick i finally got around to having an old friend fixed.

sitting on top of a 4 12 cab with 4 deltas in it,  2 LF .  the univox had  some issues but is now working great.  only 50 watts but wonderfully warm and dirty in a delicious way.   According to my tech a very good japanese clone of a marshall.  gig this weekend in a small pup will be seeing a tube amp of some kind.

PS another interesting fact.  the MM heads are wired in series for speakers.  so 2 4 ohm cabs are 8 ohms if thru head but 2 ohm if thru daisy chained....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NAD sort of
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
Very nice!  Those tube amps are fun and come in handy, even if I'd much rather lug my Genz Shuttle to gigs.

I notice that those MM heads have multiple instrument inputs, which can be really handy.

I use my old '67 blackface Bassman most of the time for practice.  I have the audio output from my computer plugged into the Normal input and my bass plugged into the Bass Instrument input.  That makes it easy to control the volume of each input separately when I'm playing YouTube cuts to practice with.  Most amps today don't have as many inputs...so this is really handy.  In the past I have used such inputs as the headphone jack output from a boom box to feed the Normal input - works great as long as I keep the volume low on the boom box so that I'm not re-amplifying an already excessively amplified signal.

(Generic photo - mine isn't quite this clean, but close...)

I had the caps replaced a few years back and a grounded AC cord put on it, but I do still get a fair amount of hum when it's idling.  But it pushes my Genz-Benz speakers just fine for practice.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:56:24 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 05:58:01 AM »
a friend of mine has a MM130HD from the 80's.  curious as to what you paid?

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »

Without that last period nothing made sense to me. I'm glad you caught it ;D ;)
That is a fine collection of tubies you've got there.
Rick

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
no idea how i doubled up on my posting.  anyway paid

599  plus tax and shipping for dirtier  head and the ripped cab.  cloth  ripped in transit so got another $50 off from GC

$425 for the cleaner head (needed tubes so there goes cleaner theory) off ebay and 300 for 212RH  cab from TB
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
How much do those MM heads weigh?  Curious....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:51 AM »
37 lbs
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »
Not as much as I expected.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:31:59 PM »
 What a cool crazy collection ! JPJ thought these amps sounded great..............................just not very reliable.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird