Author Topic: NAD - ampeg portoflex 500  (Read 1057 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
NAD - ampeg portoflex 500
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:21:22 AM »
So on a gig friday the 3rd song of the night my 4 month old Eden amp craps out.  volume starts to drop and then nothing except occassional extremely loud booming notes.  luckily after many a tube amp folly i always bring a second head.  quick change over to my standby GK head - backline 600.  really crappy but got it really cheap $140 and light and small so fits in a case that i leave next to my amp.  First break able to hook up my sans amp to get a better sound so disaster avoided.   
So here is/was my dilema.  I bought the eden online and i know it will be a while to get it fixed.  Didn't really want to fork over much money but upcoming gigs and trying to not haul bigger stuff for smaller venues......
Solution - i had some old cabs that were not ever going to  be used again.  2 - trace elliot - 1 - 15 and 1-18 and a no name 4 10 that actually sounds pretty good.  Trip to GC and of course get totally ripped off on the trade in but cleared out some space and i have over 25 cabs so what the heck....Tried to get a markbass head that they had on closeout but only 3 left in chain and all in for repairs.  then i tried the new portoflex ampeg heads.  - very typical ampeg sound but in a nice small package.  available with a replica of the old 60's b15 cabs but backordered of course.  Both heads sounded pretty good.  went with the PF500 fversus the 350 or the extra head room and other items like hi and low boost,  controllable 0-10 ( not 11)  compressor,  less important di pre and post eq... 

Got it home and tried it out with various cabs.  sounds great with all my older style cabs especially a sealed 4 12 cab.  Not great with a few modern sounding 3 way cabs i have.  On the honking side.   great with all of my 15 speaker cabs (will try out a  6-10 cab tonight)    more to follow and picture too
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

eb2

• View Profile
Re: NAD - ampeg portoflex 500
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
Any update?  I think these things are pretty cool.  My back would love it, and they look right.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.