Author Topic: The US Trade Deficit and what am I doing about it ... (political thread!)  (Read 4340 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Liebe Amerikaner, whether under Republican or Demiquat administrations, your track record for cutting the export deficit ist grosse Scheisse. About as good as your naval and air defense against a few Japanese dive bombers with non-retractable landing gears on an Pacific island years back.

As usual - call it Axis guilt - I have taken the burden on myself to rectify that deplorable situation and am on the verge of importing another item für die Kollektion, courtesy of dear Jon from NY. No details are give away except: triple teflon - happy fried eggs!

Jon will divulge more, stay tuned ...

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: The US Trade Deficit and what am I doing about it ... (political thread!)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »
Congrats!  your triple teflon comment was enough if I'm guessing correctly.  made me laugh, too
 ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »

You know you could repatriate a few of these things to the scenic west coast  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:29 AM »
Well....I have way too much gear from being a musician too long. I've been trying to thin the herd to try and get out of New York and split my time between New Orleans and my place up in Nova Scotia (in case the U.S. economy totally goes off a cliff and the country goes nuts.) The Canadian Government actually wants me to pay duties on all my gear I bring up if I move to my house there, which would be unacceptable with all my stuff.  That's about as "welcoming" as when they used to make us unload our 14-ft box truck at the Niagara Falls crossing and open up the backs of all the speakers bottoms in a blizzard, when we would have gigs in Toronto.

Anyway....I thought Uwe would be the best home for a stamped "Official Gibson Prototype" bass.

...Yes, three pickups.

...yes, it's black....

....What CAN it look like?

OH WAIT!!!......THAT's the WRONG black, three-pickup "Official Gibson Prototype"  :mrgreen:

Let me look for the right pics....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:50:30 AM by mc2NY »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
It dawns on me now that I just overpaid on a sawed off G 3 from Epi ... where is my medicine?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:11:28 AM by uwe »

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »
Actually....I own THREE of those wacky Gibson Epi prototypes (maybe all that were made?) Near consecutive SN#s and all with the "Official Gobson Prototype" stamps on the back of the headstocks. Sure proof of drug use in the Gibson Coorporate Headquarters in the 70s!!

BTW, UWE.....I know you will find it of interest that the model designation on the truss rod covers on these is "E-3" on two and the other has "B-450."

Since I was a longtime Vox Teardrop Bass player, I guess I couldn't resist a "half-teardrop" design.

They are ugly as Rosie O'Donnell but they sure play/sound great!

Found this Epi link that has pics/info of one of mine.
http://www.epiphonewiki.com/index.php?title=B-450

Anyway.......Also in "Official Gibson Prototype" pile.....

Yes, the triple-PUP TBird stamped prototype to the run of six Gibson did 1990-91 in (I think) Polaris White and Cardinal Red. I recall a red one being on the Gibson calendar back then. The production run had gold plated PUPs. This is the only black one.

What is sort of cool is that they put a Firebird hot stamp on the pickguard of this prototype....maybe to get it done and out to a NAMM Show in time? Weird, no? Also has a matching pearl electronics cavity cover.

What UWE doesn't know is that it also has an official Gibson ankle bracelot on the neck that goes off if the bass wanders more than 1,500 miles from home :)  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:20:05 PM by mc2NY »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:27:12 AM »
A Wunderwaffe, nothing less!!!!

Das ist ein Bingo!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duP4d9ZziY&feature=related

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:52:23 PM »
Damn, I'm still having trouble managing 1 pickup!  Very cool thought nonetheless.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Jon, it has arrived. And what a lovely bass it is. All those among us who believe sixties and Bicentennial TBirds to be the be and end all of all things Donnervogel should spend a couple of hours with this bass and be converted. It is beautifully responsive, great timbre, lovely growl and plays like buddah - after getting the action to a more manly height that is as good Jon obviously prefers a girlie/JAE action that gives new meaning to the word Buzz-ard!   8)

The three pups are set up unexpectedly: You can either hear neck alone, neck and middle together or bridge alone - not exactly the most sensible choice IMHO but easily rectified should I ever want to change it. But I probably won't as the front/middle combo gives the bass a slightly phased out, gnarly, yet subbassy sound which for lack of anything closer reminds me of a WAL and sounds like no other Bird I've heard. Hurray, the Fusionbird!!! Neck alone is beautifully throaty and bridge alone piano stringy without being too brittle.

What a wonderful Bird, je suis deeply satisfied, danke for selling it to me!

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:28:32 AM by uwe »

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Very cool deal. Jon has a rather HUGE collection of cool unusual instruments as well as amps. Many used by "Famous "Dudes. Hey Uwe...have you ever dealt with these guys????:

http://stores.ebay.de/musicoutletshop/pages/shopbedingungen

I was interested in a Guild bass they've had for some time. Didn't know if these guys were ok or not. Thoughts???

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »
Nice!!! I love ebony Birds  8)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »
interesting control layout- i reckon 3 volumes in a row with tone and pickup switch below might make more sense.
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:19 AM »
Those Music Outlet guys from Cologne are legit, they've been at it for along time. My Lee Sklar and my Epi Newport are from them. Some stuff they offer would be more, other stuff - such as the 1967 Ric 4005 they have on offer - less expensive than from a US based vintage dealer.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:34 AM »
Ok cool. Thanks for the info!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
Those Music Outlet guys from Cologne are legit, they've been at it for along time. My Lee Sklar and my Epi Newport are from them. Some stuff they offer would be more, other stuff - such as the 1967 Ric 4005 they have on offer - less expensive than from a US based vintage dealer.

Interesting difference in perspective there. On Basschat in the UK they're generally referred to as "Our German Friends" and are revered for offering hacked up basses at ridiculous prices. Their response to negative feedback was quite entertaining too. However, it does look like they've cleaned up their act in the last 12 months (only 2 valid remaining negs and only one response in capitals calling the buyer a liar). This is sad, we'll miss them.  :mrgreen: