Author Topic: Short Scale basses  (Read 16144 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Short Scale basses
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:09:22 AM »
what would the bass world be like if jack bruce had never played his eb3, longhorn or fender baritone. while short scales have a small but dedicated following, i frankly can't think of a compelling enough reason to own one. i've owned an eb3 and some others but not for long. aamof, in a lifetime of concert going i have ony seen one short scale being played; jack bruce in cream. feel free to talk among or amongst yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkvANt-la0&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:14:51 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Short Scale basses
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »
They're easier to play and they have this certain sound....

Shortscale players. If I only think of some brands:

Danelectro Longhorn: Jack Bruce, Rinus Gerritsen, Frank Kraaijeveld, Tom Petty (Travelling Wilburys), guy from E Street Band, Entwistle.
Gibson EB3: Rinus again, Jack Bruce again, Mike Watt.
Fender Mustang Bass: An awful lot of chick bassists, guy from Status Quo, Bill Wymann.
Hofner violin: Paul McCartney.
Ronnie Lane: EB2/Rivoli and Harmonies.
Mani (Primal Scream/Stone Roses): Rickenbacker 3000.
Jack Casady: Guild Starfire

All the British Invasion Bands were using EB2s and Rivolis.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »
The bass world would be pretty much the same as now. Short scales have been almost a non-factor in the market for over 40 years. I credit short scale fans on bass forums for keeping interest in them alive. OTOH that hasn't made them sell well and I don't think it ever will.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:12 AM »
Dont't forget Jim Lea of Slade and his EB3. Possibly the best use ever of a EB3  ever ;) Lets face it Jack Bruce's tone was crap.................... imho of course
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:52:02 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:48:52 AM »
I happen to be a fan of short-scale basses, despite having big hands and easily playing long-scales.

I've owned/own Voxes, Hagstroms, a Fender Musicmaster and Bass VI, EBOs, numerous Hamer short-scale 4-, 8- and 12-strings.

Off topic a bit....my true preference is for medium-scale 32-inch basses.

My thoughts on scale length is largely from a different direction. Most guys who claim a long-scale is "better" do so from a player/audiophile prespective....and they are correct. But I see it from a "fan/music buyer" perspective....where 99 percent of fans at a concert cannot tell the difference in sound between bass scales live or on recordings.  So, the point is moot.

There are certainly hundreds of great hit songs that were played on short-scale basses. I cannot recall EVER hearing one listener saying "this song would have been better if the bass player played it on a long-scale."

No one except a bass player really cares.

And if a producer thinks the bass sounds weak/lack bottom on a session and he can't EQ in what he wants to hear....he calls in a keyboard guy to layer it with synth bass :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:54:00 AM by mc2NY »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:13:09 AM »
My first was a short scale (EB2 copy) but I haven't played one since '77
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
Don't forget the Dan Armstrong Lucite basses Jack, Geezer, Wyman... and the guy from the Georgia Satellites.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:40:52 AM »
(I think I just had an accident in my trousers)

I kept missing one of those back in '77 before I bought the PC
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
Dont't forget Jim Lea of Slade and his EB3. Possibly the best use ever of a EB3  ever ;)

Best use of the EB-3 prize goes to Andy Fraser in my universe ......  ;) And while we're at it: best use of the EB-2 to Tony Reeves / best use of the EB-1 to Felix Pappalardi .....  ;D

I've been switching my collection to mostly short scales over the last few years because my fingers aren't quite as dextrous as they once were. Sonically it felt like coming home after a long journey.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
Some of my favorite players used short scales:

Stanley Clarke - his Alembics have always been short scale.
Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead - used EB-3 & Guild Starfires early on, then early Alembics
+1 on Andy Fraser - he got such a great sound, presumably with an EB-3

I have definitely developed a liking for short scales - two of my current favorites:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
Much of the great classic rock of the 60's was played on short scale basses.  I agree with Dave that they have not been a dominant factor in the market, but there have been short scale basses on the market from Gibson, Epi, Gretsch, Univox, Dano, Fender and many other manufacturers.

So even if they are 10 or 20% of the market, they have a place and a following.   

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »
Much of the great classic rock of the 60's was played on short scale basses.  I agree with Dave that they have not been a dominant factor in the market, but there have been short scale basses on the market from Gibson, Epi, Gretsch, Univox, Dano, Fender and many other manufacturers.

So even if they are 10 or 20% of the market, they have a place and a following.  

They do have a place and a following. I would be astounded if they even have 5% of the market, though.

Like 5-string basses and flatwound strings, there's always a lot more talk about them on bass forums than sales in the real world. All the talk is fine with me, just don't let it blind you to market reality.

Also, keep in mind that many players who were once associated with them have long since moved to long scale. Casady, Lesh, Bruce (except for the one-time Cream reunion), etc.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »
a final remark on frasier. interesting blues box meanderings but with a very 'burpy tone'. not a good sound imo. i will take the jack bruce "crappy" tone anytime.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
I'm selling my only short scale 4 four string due to a lack of use.  :-\ Love it, recorded a couple of songs that I'm very proud of with it, but.... Bye bye Guild JS II! Keeping the Hamer 12 though.  ;D

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »
I like the tone of short scales better, as it ends to lack the harmonic content of 34" basses. I don't like bright, which might sound odd for a fellow who owns a Marcus Miller Jazz, a Stingray with a maple fretboard, and a 12 string. I just can't get past the feel. I do, however, LOVE my SX shorty Jazz.