Author Topic: Same old song and dance. SOAKED again.  (Read 3052 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Same old song and dance. SOAKED again.
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:16:05 AM »
 The band was on the road all weekend, slogged through two gigs Friday and Saturday I didn't want to do for reasons I won't go into here. The cherry  was the Sunday gig on the waterfront  in Buffalo NY  on the very same stage Alice Cooper will be on next week!  The Saturday gig ended about 1:30 AM Sun. and I was back to our guitar players at 2:30 AM. The drummer and guitar player crashed at the house while I take up residence at the studio next door.  Cats in the house I can't spend more than a hour in there even on meds. I like the studio :) there is a big unused room that I can roll out my sleeping bag and a bathroom all to myself !  So by the time I bed down it's like 3 AM, didn't really sleep well but it's & 7 AM time to get moving. Wash up, pack up and meet the guys next door for coffee. Watching the weather and it doesn't look good, phone calls back and forth to the promoter, we are still on. On the road at 9AM due to arrive at the venue 10 AM, start time 12 PM. Driving there is is pouring buckets, when we arrive it clears :) They sound company is busy drying off the stage and that stalls our load in and sound check. We do however managed to get sound checked by 12:00 during sound check to the Nw you can see the sky darkening............... another band of thunderstorms is heading for us. While the stage manager is telling us to quick get changed and on stage I am busy putting my basses in cases and breaking out the plastic to cover my rig. My leftover plastic I gave to the drummer and he was able to cover his kit................................ not that it did much good. The wind had picked up and it was raining steady, then it really hit high winds about 50 mph the stage was directly into the wind, it came right at us there was no place to hide. I just stood there and did my best to keep my rig covered. For reasons I do know Tony our gutairist had left his guitars out, So for a second week his guitars were dreanched as was his rig...........................he just stood there in shock with a wet ciggy hanging from his lips.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Same old song and dance. SOAKED again.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:22:11 AM »
 We did have use of the drum riser but the roof was leaking right over it ! Sp we opted to put the drums on the floor. We even had trailer with ac, leather couches, food and the whole 9 yards could have been a great gig !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
Hmmm... that does't sound too good Scott.

Did you guys hear about the disaster at a Belgian festival last week?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »
 I had heard about it but that was the first video I have seen.........................terrible.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:28 AM »
Holy crap, Rob! That's some powerful footage.

I did hear about it, but the stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair (death toll now 7) pushed it out of the news here.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »
Rock and Roll is not all fun and games. It can be downright dangerous!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »
Glad no one was hurt at this festival.

Yet we all can't live without the rain ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »
Get a bunch of cheap bungee cords to wrap around and hold the plastic over your amps. They will hold much better than duct tape and won't leave a mess. They also come in VERY handy for various tie downs.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:56:20 PM »
Get a bunch of cheap bungee cords to wrap around and hold the plastic over your amps. They will hold much better than duct tape and won't leave a mess. They also come in VERY handy for various tie downs.
I have some in the van I just couldn't get to them !

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »
I always kept a set in my gig cable bag (PA/power/extra guitar cables etc)before I went 8x10's exclusively. That way, they went to the stage with me. It was a necessity when I was using a PA 18" sub cab underneath my Gibbie 4x10 because the 18" would literally walk around, even with the head and other cab on top. I had to bungee the whole mess together to keep it from falling over. With the bungees, it only moved a few inches forward over the course of a show.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »
These stage collapses are a little unnerving considering, like many of us, I'm on a portable stage just about every weekend during the summer.  >:(

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
There was a tornado warning in effect and one did touch down not to far from us.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
That sucks Scott, I'm not playing golf with you!  :-\
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 07:02:57 AM »
That sucks Scott, I'm not playing golf with you!  :-\

"I'd keep playing - I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite awhile."
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
You're gonna end up with webbed feet at this rate, Scott... :o

We've got nothing but (deleted before anyone mentions the "P" word ;D) here so the Indiana incident never made it across the Pond...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...