Author Topic: VINTAGE VOX CLUBMAN BASS Short Scale  (Read 4197 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: VINTAGE VOX CLUBMAN BASS Short Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
I love it! Great details!! Nice shape...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
That is a really pretty bass...with styling that's a very nice reflection of its times.

Must ....say....no.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:38:56 AM »
I don't even recall ever seeing one of these ??? There used to be a store around here when I was growing up that was like a freakin' Vox factory. They had a huge inventory of everything Vox had. I don't know how I missed this one ???
Rick

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:59:23 AM »
we had a big vox store in atlanta in the sixties. did vox have some kind of mini chain going on.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »
we had a big vox store in atlanta in the sixties. did vox have some kind of mini chain going on.

There were a lot of Voxes (Voci?) in Central Florida for a while in the late 60s.  The Royal Guardsmen (local band that did 'Snoopy and the Red Baron') were completely Vox equipped and there was a music store in Ocala IIRC that had tons of Vox stuff.  But that was the Italian stuff.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:07:53 AM »
Mid-late 60s Vox was shipping tons of stuff to this one local store and sponsoring several of the hotter local bands. It was like  almost every band that was pretty good was playing Super Beatles.  Some old buddies of mine were blowing them up with such regularity and wheeling them in and out of the store so often that the store couldn't even keep track of it. When they finally shut their doors and went out of business, I had two buddies who were sitting on about a half dozen Super Beatles that were never paid for. Vox was so thick in this area I can't even think of where you could buy a Marshall around here in those days. I remember only one place that sold Sunn and a couple that sold Ampeg or Fender. There were very few places that sold any quality big rigs other than Vox and this area (Detriot) and this is a pretty big market. There were a lot of oddball brands,  most of which are dead and gone, and didn't ever sell a whole lot. If you wanted big stuff, you bought Vox.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »
These weren't that common in the US even in the heyday of UK Vox basses. Nice example.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 07:33:14 AM »
IIRC the vox stuff was sold at a baldwin piano dealer. WAY more amps and guitars than pianos.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:20:13 AM »
These weren't that common in the US even in the heyday of UK Vox basses. Nice example.

Most of the stuff I remember were the odd shaped guitars and basses and a very short list of more traditional looking stuff.They even had some weird shaped drums that looked like they were half melted :o. Never knew anyone who bought, or even talked about buying a set of those strange things.
Rick

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »
Most of the stuff I remember were the odd shaped guitars and basses and a very short list of more traditional looking stuff.They even had some weird shaped drums that looked like they were half melted :o. Never knew anyone who bought, or even talked about buying a set of those strange things.
Rick

I remember those drums too!  The bass drum was teardrop shaped. . . were they called Trix?
Rob Francis

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:55 AM »
Don't remember what they were called, bad LSD would have been an appropriate name ;D
Rick

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:04 AM »
Don't remember what they were called, bad LSD would have been an appropriate name ;D
Rick
Telstar, made by Trixon for Vox.  Buddy Rich was an endorser.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=21148

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 06:01:25 AM »
There were a lot of Voxes (Voci?) in Central Florida for a while in the late 60s.  The Royal Guardsmen (local band that did 'Snoopy and the Red Baron') were completely Vox equipped and there was a music store in Ocala IIRC that had tons of Vox stuff.  But that was the Italian stuff.
I still have my Snoopy and the Royal Guardsmen lp :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
Those Vox Clubman basses are really nice (as cheaper gear goes).

I have this red '65 Vox Clubman and it really is a joy to play.  I used it the studio earlier on this year, and was very happy with the tones I was getting - a real contrast to the Les Paul bass I used the same day.

You have to watch old UK vox's - some have stupidly thin necks (like the Vox bassmaster) - too thin to play comfortably IMHO. Some are cheaper laminated wood (though clearly not the one in the OP, which has visible grain) and some are solid wood (mine is mahogany).

They come up a lot more (and go for a lot cheaper) in the  UK, but it's rare to see such a nice condition one.