Author Topic: Korean Warwick Star Bass  (Read 2696 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Korean Warwick Star Bass
« on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:49 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a new review-Warwick at home and I thought you guys would like to see some pics. It's the new Korean Star Bass of Warwick. In Europe the German one has a street price of around 3,000 euros and this one is less than half of it. Building quality is very good, it sounds as good as the German one, but it has no fancy woods, it has cheaper switches and pots and the finish is not perfect. It has some little flaws here and there. This is one of the first ones, so I'll give them the benefit of doubt.

It's available in 4 and 5 string and in sunburst, cream, black, gold and daphne blue.

Pics:
www.flickr.com/chrispdekker

Adam Clayton also uses some Star Basses and they made a gold one for him with one pick up at the neck.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Korean Warwick Star Bass
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »
Now that i like alot.    How does it sound?      I am ususally not a big fan of Warwick soundwise but this has potential....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:49 PM »
I reviewed the expensive German one some time ago and I love that bass (and the Gretsch White Falcon) a lot!

Neck pu: It's long scale and soundwise it's like a very good semisolid, but tight because of the long scale and a bit of the Warwick-growl mixed through the warmth and fatness.
Bridge pu: Very usable, like on the SG Reissue Basses. Fender P-ish, but woodier.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »
Seems expensive for a Korean bass. OTOH I'm not that familiar with how it compares to others in the European market, and we don't know yet how it will be priced over here.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »
With a little headstock re-shaping, I'd like it better, more "Spectoresque" and less "Gumby."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:33 AM »
There's a custom shop one on the Warwick website with vintage tuners. Looks more vintage and less Warwick.

Warwick has now the German basses, Chinese 'Rockbasses' with 'W'-logo and this new Korean series. Pricewise (in Europe) and qualitywise I guess you have to compare them to Lakland Skyline basses or a bit below Japanese Gretsches.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 07:23:08 AM »
The Skylines are also priced above most Korean basses in the US market, which might help explain why the company has struggled.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
Being as the title of this thread starts Korean War... I was really expecting some aircraft pics.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »
Well, that can't take long :mrgreen: