Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 165775 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #1170 on: March 20, 2023, 09:53:15 AM »

DAMN!!  That young lady is SMOKIN' that bass!   I'm very impressed, that's fantastic stuff.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 20, 2023, 10:25:33 AM »
Long time crush on that one.
I just love the sheer joy she manages.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 20, 2023, 05:46:01 PM »
I have two of Kinga's albums. Her enthusiasm and love for playing bass are infectious + she has endless chops, but I don't hear anything new or particularly individual in her playing. Her style is a compendium of 50 years of jazz rock & funk electric bass playing. She has the rule book down pat, but she never ever breaks it. A bass Wunderkind, but not an innovator like Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Mark King, Nick Beggs, Mick Karn or Flea. And I went out of my way not to include a rock style bassist here (except maybe Flea, at least in part) because I understand that is not what she is about (or should have to do).

Or is "skilled, but not original" a dour old white man trope I've fallen into? Be honest with me.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:11:38 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 21, 2023, 05:02:33 AM »
I’ve only watched the occasional YouTube video , her touch is absolutely wonderful , and she’s come up with some great parts on “Wake Me Up” that never distract from the song. They’re a bit flashy , but I can forgive that. Her joy is contagious. And that’s what struck me.
What’s not to love. She’s more concerned about playing the song rather than putting her stamp on it , but the parts she’s altered fit like a glove.
Of the current wonder kids on YouTube she’s easily my favourite.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 21, 2023, 06:07:47 AM »
At her age, you must be comatose if you're not flashy. And her take on Wham! was good fun - especially how she somehow saw/heard the chorus as something sacred not to be messed with, reverting to root note every time. Cute. But less could sometimes be more to get away from that "my cascade of tricks"-display. To her defense: She's in a rut already. Her second album was less attention grabbing and flashy as regards her bass playing (some would say: more mature) and she immediately caught flak for that too.

Unfortunately, Jeff Beck has left us. He doesn't need any more youthful women bass players with an overabundance of chops. Same thing with Prince.

She needs to work within the context of a band where her bass playing is not the sole focus. Now if Flea broke an arm (not badly, just a little) and RHCP had imminent touring commitments ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:11:48 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 24, 2023, 06:34:14 AM »
Not a video, but this was posted in the Seldom Seen Old Pics of Famous Musicians thread at the Tele forum.

Suzi Quatro in 1973

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 08:13:20 PM by Dave W »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 24, 2023, 06:37:06 AM »
I have two of Kinga's albums. Her enthusiasm and love for playing bass are infectious + she has endless chops, but I don't hear anything new or particularly individual in her playing. Her style is a compendium of 50 years of jazz rock & funk electric bass playing. She has the rule book down pat, but she never ever breaks it. A bass Wunderkind, but not an innovator like Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Mark King, Nick Beggs, Mick Karn or Flea. And I went out of my way not to include a rock style bassist here (except maybe Flea, at least in part) because I understand that is not what she is about (or should have to do).

Or is "skilled, but not original" a dour old white man trope I've fallen into? Be honest with me.  :-X

Her web site says her music is Jazz Blues.  It sounds more like Blues Jazz to me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 24, 2023, 06:53:32 AM »
It's neither. It's essentially musicians' music elevator light jazz rock "have room to show off your chops" instrumental muzak, the kind of stuff that has been done since the 70ies. It's not so much songs as an instrumental setting to present the players to their best advantage.

Not that there is anything fundamentally wrong with that, it's a niche like many others.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:04:27 AM by uwe »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 24, 2023, 06:55:08 AM »
She's an excellent player, but her band should be called Vehicle.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 24, 2023, 07:04:59 AM »
You said it.  8)

And why does that jazz rock light stuff always have to be instrumental or if there is a voice it has to sound like a black one?

Waving the Purple flag here again, but there was one great exception:

Of course, that went commercially nowhere. Ian Gillan fans were baffled and Weather Report aficionados didn't want to contaminate their prized record collection with an album featuring an Ex-Deep Purple singer of all people. Plus it was 1977 and Punk ruled.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:13:56 AM by uwe »

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 24, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »
You said it.  8)

And why does that jazz rock light stuff always have to be instrumental or if there is a voice it has to sound like a black one?

Waving the Purple flag here again, but there was one great exception:

Of course, that went commercially nowhere. Ian Gillan fans were baffled and Weather Report aficionados didn't want to contaminate their prized record collection with an album featuring an Ex-Deep Purple singer of all people. Plus it was 1977 and Punk ruled.

Puppet Show
and Ian Gillan Band

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 24, 2023, 08:08:44 AM »
Is "Puppet Show" a band? Never heard of them.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 24, 2023, 08:28:47 AM »
Is "Puppet Show" a band? Never heard of them.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 24, 2023, 08:47:30 AM »
LOL, that is sooooo uncanny, I wonder whether they had Ian's jazz excursion with the IGB in mind! He got a lot of flak for it at the time (and never got invited to the Montreux Jazz Festval with IGB either). But Bruce Dickinson, look and behold, is a fan of it, so am I. That album was friggin' brilliant (though even in Purple circles hugely divisive).

Ian has disowned it and nowadays says: "Brilliant musicianship, but Christ there is not a single straight beat on the album!" The music was indeed the band's do (who were all Weather Report fans at the time), Ian just sang over it, but with his penchant for off-the-wall vocal lines I thought it worked well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:10:23 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #1184 on: March 24, 2023, 08:54:02 AM »
Not a video, but this was posted in the Seldom Seen Old Pics of Famous Musicians thread at the Tele forum.

Suzi Quatro in 1973

https://www.tdpri.com/attachments/1679649818609-png.1100422/

That's a great looking bass for her. Cute little thing. The bass too!