Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 165827 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #960 on: December 08, 2020, 08:43:18 AM »
Jance Garfat (who died in a motorcycle accident in 2006) played his EB-3 (I believe it was even an EB-3L) for a long Time with Hook (which I loved and love),

by the time they turned disco/country-pop/white soul he played an Ovation Magnum.

He joined Dr Hook for their second album "Sloppy Seconds" (staying with them until they dissolved in the late 80ies) and his click bass sound was all over it - the first time I actually registered a bass as something audible (Nancy Sinatra's These Boot Are Made For Walking excepted), it was this track here (and back then  - I was 12 - I actually thought it was "drums" when a friend playing the record to me asked me what instrument that was playing the bass intro lick :-[ ):

I still tend to play this lick to this day when entering a major chord  :mrgreen: - though I'm these days not sure whether Ray Sawyer (the person most people perceive to be "Dr Hook" and the main vocalist when he was in fact neither) rather than Jance might have played it on the album version too. Here Jance plays acoustic guitar to it for some inexplicable reason - and I've never heard/seen Sawyer play bass before though he obviously seems to know what he's doing:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:54:13 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #961 on: December 08, 2020, 09:35:46 AM »
Never ceases to amaze me the things you are or are not into; this one I wouldna have guessed. I dunno how you ever thought that was drums tho. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 17, 2020, 09:58:16 PM »
Rinus Gerritsen playing a 1960 Gibson EB-0 in a 1975 promo video for the Golden Earring "To the Hilt" album.  I don't know what he was actually playing on the album, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this bass, though. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #963 on: December 18, 2020, 02:47:43 AM »
He brought it along at the book release party in 2016

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 18, 2020, 05:50:42 AM »
He used to have a site where he talked about what basses he played on each album.  I don't remember him mentioning that bass.  I was surprised to see it in that promo video.  It looks cool, though.  BTW, I just ran across this interview.  But since it's in Dutch, I can't understand most of it--just bits and pieces. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 18, 2020, 08:37:00 AM »
He brought it along at the book release party in 2016

Pretty good photo for a caption contest.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 18, 2020, 10:02:36 AM »
Sure is!
"Rob is pointing out the ding neat the strap button."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #967 on: December 18, 2020, 10:10:46 AM »
He used to have a site where he talked about what basses he played on each album.  I don't remember him mentioning that bass.  I was surprised to see it in that promo video.  It looks cool, though.  BTW, I just ran across this interview.  But since it's in Dutch, I can't understand most of it--just bits and pieces. 

Very nice. Enjoyed watching that. Rinus can talk for hours. He is full of rock n roll anecdotes. But always in a very down to earth humoristic way.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 18, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »
Very nice. Enjoyed watching that. Rinus can talk for hours. He is full of rock n roll anecdotes. But always in a very down to earth humoristic way.

Yes, definitely an enjoyable interview even though there was much I couldn't understand.  I'm sure I could get more out of it if I watched it a second time. 

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #969 on: December 19, 2020, 03:35:56 AM »
Mr. Basvarken: cool vid of Stereophonics. I saw 'm live a lot, but never with this bass. I always liked Richard Jones' playing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 21, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me the things you are or are not into; this one I wouldna have guessed. I dunno how you ever thought that was drums tho.

Je suis eclectic, Jake, didn't you know that?! Or as my wife puts it "wantonly indiscriminate to shameless in your mishmash of musical tastes". Her pet theory is that I only do it to escape any kind of compartmentalization and to confound people.  :mrgreen: I certainly bring all Amazon algorithms to their limits. They never know what to make of me. To this day, I buy some CDs just because I like the "cover" art.

There is not a single song/form of music I used to like as a 14-year-old that I don't still like today. Over the decades, other music has entered my vast taste vaults as well, but never via displacing music I already liked before. It just gets more and more - diverse and in quantity.

About 20% of my CD purchases (I disdain other forms of media, for quality of sound CDs are still the benchmark among widely available media forms) cover bands I don't even like (knowing that before the purchase), I buy them for educational and analytical purposes. Another 30% are sheer curiosity and knee jerk impulse buys.

I'm as much a music scientist and anthropologist as I am emotionally attached to some music. Listening to music can both be a cerebral exercise and an emotional experience for me. Some bands can even do both.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:51:28 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 26, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
Aussies. With an EB-3 and a backing vocalist.

Sometime in the future he would meet up with these two brothers here ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 27, 2020, 07:37:52 AM »
Some nice shots of Tiran Porter playing a slot-head EB3L in this... fairly certain that bits of this have been posted but not sure if whole show...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvBLZV1Rf1s&ab_channel=RedPlanetRock
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #973 on: December 27, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
Je suis eclectic, Jake, didn't you know that?! Or as my wife puts it "wantonly indiscriminate to shameless in your mishmash of musical tastes". Her pet theory is that I only do it to escape any kind of compartmentalization and to confound people.  :mrgreen: I certainly bring all Amazon algorithms to their limits. They never know what to make of me. To this day, I buy some CDs just because I like the "cover" art.

There is not a single song/form of music I used to like as a 14-year-old that I don't still like today. Over the decades, other music has entered my vast taste vaults as well, but never via displacing music I already liked before. It just gets more and more - diverse and in quantity.

About 20% of my CD purchases (I disdain other forms of media, for quality of sound CDs are still the benchmark among widely available media forms) cover bands I don't even like (knowing that before the purchase), I buy them for educational and analytical purposes. Another 30% are sheer curiosity and knee jerk impulse buys.

I'm as much a music scientist and anthropologist as I am emotionally attached to some music. Listening to music can both be a cerebral exercise and an emotional experience for me. Some bands can even do both.

Your eclecticism is one of the things I enjoy about you.

The algorithms all seem to think I am a woman, so I'm confusing them too.  Frankly I don't think they're too smart; if they got a person pegged, then, well:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:47:42 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 27, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
Shameless self-promotion, I used my '62 EB-3 for my band's new music video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-rDjhR1q2c&ab_channel=Hair