Author Topic: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...  (Read 165799 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature EB0 to EB4 and SG variant basses...
« Reply #810 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »
If that's a 59/60 EB-0, it's been modified in the cutaway and horns.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #811 on: February 12, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
How can you tell - the dude never steps into the light.  There was one spot where I could see the horns; looked too close to tell.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #812 on: February 12, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
Definitely an LP Jr DC shaped EB-0.

From the same show. Better view on the EB-0

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 12, 2019, 07:09:04 PM »
Definitely an LP Jr DC shaped EB-0.

From the same show. Better view on the EB-0

I don't think so. There's no clean sweep of the curve, the horns aren't right, and the neck pickup isn't as big as the mudbucker but there's no evidence of the cavity being larger.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 16, 2019, 04:36:31 AM »
Rudy Sarzo jamming Crazy Train on an EB-3 with Phil X (they speak fondly of that bass):

Here he switches to an EB:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #815 on: February 16, 2019, 05:55:14 AM »
The sound of that EB befits the song Paranoid perfectly. Makes me wonder if Geezer Butler used an EB in the studio for the original recording?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 16, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
Rudy Sarzo is on the cover of the February Bass Player, although at this point the March issue may already be out.  I bought it several weeks ago, but still haven't had a chance to look at it very much. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 16, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »
That original EB/EB-1 sounds great.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:40 AM »
Mine sounds a good deal brighter/more middish, not as subwoofy. The way this thing sounds, it might as well be a 69/70 RI with the classic mudbucker. But maybe they dialed it that way because they didn't know any better.

This is more like it ...

And Bob Daisley played his EB-3 on Crazy Train with a pick (he plays with a pick nearly all the time, the ability to do that got him his first decent job with Rainbow) - which made all the difference and on a short scale possibly more so than on a long scale - thru a Marshall with heavy distortion.

Decades later, when Ozzy Sharon had the bass parts replaced, it sounded like this, courtesy of the guy who is now doing service with Hetfield & Co.:

Both tracks have their charming and human inaccuracies, I don't want to turn this into a slagging match between the two Roberts, they are both excellent players. For my taste, the bass sound it too distorted in both cases. I know it's uncool, but I don't like distorted bass! :-\
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:19:19 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 18, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
I have no problem with Trujillo's and Bordin's playing (they're both fine musicians) but I'm still glad I bought the two first CD remastered Ozzy albums before the overdubs were made. As much as they tried to replicate the bass and drums it's not the same, but most of all it was such a douchey deed appearently out of greed and/or grudge held by the manager/wife.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 18, 2019, 02:34:16 PM »
Considering the bass alone is leaving much out of the equation. Jack was playing through a Hartke with his typical upside down smiley face EQ. Unless Jack's tech modded the hell out of the pickup or electronics, if you plugged that same EB in to a Fender bassman or a Sunn 200s or 2000s and cranked it up, you'll most likely hear mudd city. Rudy was playing through some sort of solid state Fender amp it seems which will just amplify the low end if it isn't cut from the eq and give you none of the pleasing overdrive a tube amp can provide. It's not distortion, it's overdrive and playing a vintage EB without it is like buying a Ferrari and never going faster than 55mph (88 kph).
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 18, 2019, 02:58:06 PM »
I think people should know, if they shell out over $10,000 for a 1950s EB, they shouldn't expect it to sound like Jack's from the Royal Albert Hall. Here is something more realistic.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 18, 2019, 03:30:29 PM »
The single coil EB/EB-1 doesn't sound like a mudbucker. Maybe it ought to -- same number of windings on the same form -- but it doesn't.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 18, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
Admittedly, I've never played a first generation single coil EB. My impression from recordings is they're more alike than different. For example, Felix would have used his fifties EB on Leslie West's first solo album and that sounds much like the same tone as he got on subsequent  albums done with his reissue. The bass he used at Woodstock was also the 50s version and that brought the mud even before it started raining. Then again, Doug Lubhan got a much more defined sound from his EB than I would have expected on Doors tracks like "Strange Days". It also wouldn't be surprising if the variation in pickup winding times could be a contributing factor. It couldn't have been so precise a process in Kalamazoo.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 18, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
 "... and that brought the mud even before it started raining ...".

:rimshot: Brilliant!

The 50ies overwound single coil pup (let me tell you, it doesn't like neon light bulbs close by!) sounds a lot hoarser than the true mudbucker of the 69 RI and it doesn't have quite the subwoof might. My 50ies one used to belong to Pappalardi and he built a push/pull vol. control in it that alters the sound between the natural 50ies sound and something more akin to how a 69 RI would sound.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...