Author Topic: EB 1 reuissue on the bay  (Read 3832 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: EB 1 reuissue on the bay
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »
Little over priced with the mod but I still like it, my finger is twitching.........................
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
Little over priced with the mod but I still like it, my finger is twitching.........................

Man, I hate when that happens!!!   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:33:34 PM »
These were made in 1970 and 71, maybe into 72. With no Made In USA under the S/N, it's probably early 1970.

It's nice, but between the mod and the lack of the peg, no way I'd offer anywhere near $2.5K.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:02:48 AM »
The mod is at least tastefully done - he's basically turned it into an EB-1.3. Better than hammering a split coil in there ...  :puke:

The EB-1 RIs have been going up over the years - I think Jack Bruce playing an albeit fifties model of it at the Cream reunion (btw Clapton is pretty damning about that in his book at least as regards the American concerts) played a large part in that. Talk about missed opportunities, if Gibson had offered a limited run of 100 custom shop EB-1s, they'd be all sold by now no matter what the price.

That said, there is very little sound you can get out of an EB-1 RI that you couldn't get out of an EB-0, -3 or -2 of the same era. if anything, the EB-1 RI is even more subwoofy - to an extent where you are leaving the realms of  humanoid audibility. The fifties models otoh with their "humming coil" had a voice of their own (perhaps an early fifties EB-2 with the same pup could match that, but I've never heard one).

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »
Man, I hate when that happens!!!   ;D

Tell me about it.  I hit the bid button on a couple of those in the last year.  I didn't win.  I'm going to restrain myself this time.  I found out how much I'm going to owe the government for taxes this year.  ouch.  And I mean OUCH!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »
I love when you bid on something you where not really looking for, but can't pass up. You have to go through the stages of-

Lust-you know you want it, come on put a bid on it, you could always flip it if you don't like it

Greed - You can never have too many basses and make a bid

Fear-How are you going to pay for it if you win and tell your wife you bought yet another bass?

Rationalization - You could sell another bass or sell your dog to someone to get the cash, right?

Loss & regret-You only bid so high and lose, now you regret not bidding that $1.00 more

Denial - I don't have a GAS problem!

Acceptance-You accept it and go through it all again

« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:20:44 AM by Barklessdog »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 10:08:26 AM »
I love when you bid on something you where not really looking for, but can't pass up. You have to go through the stages of-

Lust-you know you want it, come on put a bid on it, you could always flip it if you don't like it

Fear-How are you going to pay for it if you win and tell your wife you bought yet another bass?

Rationalization - You could sell another bass or sell your dog to someone to get the cash, right?

Loss & regret-You only bid so high and loose, now you regret not bidding that $1.00 more

LOL! One bass at a time - err, I mean one day at a time...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »

Loss & regret-You only bid so high and loose, now you regret not bidding that $1.00 more

You need to get this put on a poster, and market it.  I'd bet you'd sell a TON of them.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:59:58 PM »
 We are in the middle of a move right now............................... buying anything would not go over well.  :-[

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:23:53 PM »
buying anything would not go over well. 

I can't remember a time when buying a bass ever went well.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:39:18 PM »
(btw Clapton is pretty damning about that in his book at least as regards the American concerts)

What's the story on this?
Half-speed Hawkwind

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:35 PM »
We are in the middle of a move right now............................... buying anything would not go over well.  :-[

We just moved.  My wife had never seen all the basses lined up before, although I've told her about every one.  You know the old saying about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 05:55:56 AM »
We are moving today. In the last few days of packing it has come to my attention that my daughter now has more gear than I do. THIS MUST CHANGE!!! I see a new purchase coming my way once we are settled! :mrgreen:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
We are moving today. In the last few days of packing it has come to my attention that my daughter now has more gear than I do. THIS MUST CHANGE!!! I see a new purchase coming my way once we are settled! :mrgreen:

Good luck with your move!  If you need help laying out a "music room from hell" let me know!  I have some background experience there...  :)