Author Topic: Alembic pickup question  (Read 1347 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Alembic pickup question
« on: April 10, 2011, 05:35:11 AM »
My local guitar shop has an old Yamaha bass with Alembic active P-bass pups in it. Anyone know anything about those pups?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Alembic pickup question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »
IIRC Hieronymous does, and maybe Hornisse.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:32:27 AM »
Those are probably the Alembic Activators - they made/make them in various form factors (p, j, ric, soapies) for retrofit into other manufacturer's basses.  The electronics that come with them have the preamp and low-pass filter similar to the Alembic basses (minus their "q"/resonance control, IIRC, which is used to accentuate midrange frequencies).

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
Yeah, what he said!   ;) 

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:58 AM »
what they both said....  I have those pups in a few basses.  very bright sounding but pulling back on the tone can get you sound decent thump.  Tone circuit will actually giv you a wah effect as you pan down.  Not sure if you  will like them or hate them.  I personally think they are great aftermarket pups.  very expensive.   a new set will go for about 600...

i assume they look like these but just the p ...

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
Yes, that's them (minus the gold fill in the lettering). Harry's wants $199 for the bass... I'm considering taking the risk and pulling the Alembics out and selling them.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:53:22 AM »
There was some discussion here about used pricing on Activators:  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=3655.0.  Looks like ~275-300 is maybe what you could expect to scrape off of that setup.  Maybe more.  What model Yamaha is it?  That could be a sweet deal if the bass is worth the effort...

Also, I noticed on their site that the "q"/filter-resonance feature is optional on the Activators - so you might find them with that feature.