Author Topic: Rolling Stone Top Ten Bassists  (Read 9294 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Rolling Stone Top Ten Bassists
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »
How is it that Jamerson was left off the list? I realize that he was largely a studio guy, but... jeez!

Moved and Seconded!!!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
How is it that Jamerson was left off the list? I realize that he was largely a studio guy, but... jeez!

Because it's a reader poll. Your average reader has no idea about session bassists. For that matter, I'm sure there are successful session bassists we don't even know about.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 06:14:44 PM »
Because it's a reader poll. Your average reader has no idea about session bassists. For that matter, I'm sure there are successful session bassists we don't even know about.

Here is the same. A lot of great session bassists. My favourite Aussie bass player would be Michael Mathews. Mark may know him but I doubt anyone else would. Mores the shame. Amazingly tasteful, versitile and articulate player.
Digresion our specialty!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »

Yeah, I considered that, but one would think that many of those doing the voting are musicians themselves. Perhaps the RS readership has a skewed view of what makes a bassist great. I could accept people not knowing Joe Osborn, for example, but Jamerson's contributions have been extolled outside the "musician's bubble". Could people REALLY be more aware of Les Claypool?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
Yeah, I considered that, but one would think that many of those doing the voting are musicians themselves. Perhaps the RS readership has a skewed view of what makes a bassist great. I could accept people not knowing Joe Osborn, for example, but Jamerson's contributions have been extolled outside the "musician's bubble". Could people REALLY be more aware of Les Claypool?

I'd say Claypool is much better known. Jamerson really only has limited exposure among non-bassists, and most of that is limited to music forums. Plenty of musicians never visit online forums. Besides, I doubt that most of the voters are musicians.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:12 PM »
Carl Radle, anyone? I think he was a very good, and all-round, bass player. His work with both Delaney & Bonnie, and Derek & The Dominoes may not stand out in the way Entwhistles playing did, but he's rock solid, and at times even ingenious in his playing. Radle and drummer Jim Gordon were a dynamic duo!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:58 AM »
You can't expect session guys to show up in something like that. All the players nominated have a live reputation, in many cases even one that overshadows their studio performances.

As we all know, to coin a phrase, non-bass players don't notice a bass player by his playing unless he does something really outrageous, impressive or off the wall. And visuals are an important part of that, even if you are "just standing there", the solemn figure on stage like JAE. If people don't even see you as a bass player, your chances of getting noticed via your playing are pretty much zilch.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 05:03:18 AM »
Carl Radle, anyone? I think he was a very good, and all-round, bass player. His work with both Delaney & Bonnie, and Derek & The Dominoes may not stand out in the way Entwhistles playing did, but he's rock solid, and at times even ingenious in his playing. Radle and drummer Jim Gordon were a dynamic duo!

Radle's close to the top of my list with Andy Fraser and Duck Dunn among others already mentioned.

Chaser001

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 08:19:19 AM »
There was whining about this on TB, but I personally don't find those to be bad picks  (in general).  I'm also pleased to see evidence that not all the respondents were under 15...with people like Bruce, JPJ and Entwhistle in there, the respondents know something about classic rock.

I wasn't aware that this poll had been posted elsewhere.  The only other bass message board I go to is a British one.  Actually, I found this poll completely by accident.  In fact, I also accidentally discovered another top ten bassists list several weeks ago (that was not bad) but it had so much profanity in it, I decided to not post it. 

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Uwe: I don't expect anything concerning polls. Though I think at least Entwhistle is deserving of his place. But where's Larry Graham? He revolutionized bass playing on his own when I was a young man. And where's Phil Lesh and Jack Casady? They did the same, though in different spaces.

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 01:29:48 PM »
"In many ways,  Wooten picked up where Jaco Pastorius left off when he died in 1982."

LMAO. Wrong on the facts straight out of the gate. And why only electric players? For shame!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
I hear more Stanley than Jaco in Wooten. Jaco wasn't a very black-influenced or -inflluencing  player at all.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »
I hear more Stanley than Jaco in Wooten. Jaco wasn't a very black-influenced or -inflluencing  player at all.

Well, when I saw Jaco with Wayne Cochran, he certainly was then.  Very tight and funky.

I'd add the following to my list:
Gary Thain
Dennis Dunaway
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 04:24:38 AM »
I never found Jaco sounding "manly" on bass. He was clever and fast and accurate, but always a little adolescent "I can do this". If Stanley Clarke plays something, no matter how fidgety and off the wall or twee it is, it sounds manly to me. Testosterone bass.

But I'm also in the minority of players who were never at any stage in their development influenced or impressed by Jaco. I appreciate how good he was but never in my worst nightmares would I want to sound like him. He always sounded like there was something wrong with his amp or his pup. Jaco's funk, btw, seems to me to be more inspired by the playful over-embellished style of the Tower Of Power guy than, say, someone like Jamerson.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 07:36:30 AM »
Radle's close to the top of my list with Andy Fraser and Duck Dunn among others already mentioned.

Fraser and Duck are in my personal Top 3 with Casady. Other than The Ox winning, the RS list doesn't hold much water for me .......

He always sounded like there was something wrong with his amp or his pup.

As Cookie Monster once said to Animal: Rahhhhhhh, you're my kinda guy ......
Experience is the ultimate teacher