Author Topic: serial vs parallel ohmage reading  (Read 909 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
serial vs parallel ohmage reading
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:27:24 AM »
Just spent a weekend swapping speakers, horns and wire harnesses between two cabs. Both Avatar. One is 4 ohms one is 8 ohms.

The 8 ohm has two  4 ohm speakers wired in series. When I measured the cab omhage after the transfer, I noticed my standard run-of-the-mill ohm meter showed showething like 8.9 ohms. Not a big deal, but usually cabs on the meter measure below the stated amount. s does the 4 ohm cab. But is that only for parallel wiring?

I'm just paranoid I did something wrong. But it sounds fine....

Thanks!!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: serial vs parallel ohmage reading
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
You might find the info here:

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »
Thanks. But pretty sure I'm OK there since I carried over the wiring, horn and crossover.

I'm wondering if serial wired speakers tend to measure differently with a run-of-the-mill-autoparts-store ohm meter versus parallel wired speakers.

Fer instance, I have some older JBLs rated at 8 ohms each but they meaure at 5 on the meter. Newer speakers closer to 7. Just curious if there is something similar with wiring patterns.

Thanks brother!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »
Just spent a weekend swapping speakers, horns and wire harnesses between two cabs. Both Avatar. One is 4 ohms one is 8 ohms.

The 8 ohm has two  4 ohm speakers wired in series. When I measured the cab omhage after the transfer, I noticed my standard run-of-the-mill ohm meter showed showething like 8.9 ohms. Not a big deal, but usually cabs on the meter measure below the stated amount. s does the 4 ohm cab. But is that only for parallel wiring?

I'm just paranoid I did something wrong. But it sounds fine....

Thanks!!

the ohms are the target of the range.  many speakers will be + or - .  you should be fine.   BTW I love my Avatar cabinets and just hiund up with dave about 10 minutes ago as i was ordering some covers...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM