Author Topic: Advice on selling a vintage Strat..  (Read 4296 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Advice on selling a vintage Strat..
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
For my wife's best, and oldest, friend who has found herself in very hard times.  The Strat belonged to her late brother, a very well known, talented, and troubled musician.  She has held on to this guitar for probably 15 years now but now needs to sell it to survive.  I have not seen it yet but I have the serial number and I do know that it is a 66/67 made in Fullerton.

This is where I need help.  I've sold several things on Ebay and my auctions always go very well but I have never sold anything that could bring in thousands of dollars.  I feel confident that I can document this Strat properly and run a succesful auction but I'm wondering about payment - do I trust PayPal or should I set an escrow account?  I've thought about local consignment as well - anyone have any idea of what the going percentage is to consign a vintage piece?

Obviously I need to get my hands on the guitar and carefully disassemble it to document it and photograph it.  Her brother bought this guitar probably in late 80s early 90's from a well known shop in LA/Hollywood and she believes that she may be able to find the receipt of sell as well as the letter of provenance that describes this as once belonging to Robin Trower.

So, please, I'm open to any and all suggestions - I need to scrape every penny out of this sell that I can.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on selling a vintage Strat..
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
I suggest contacting Steve Fulton at Austin Vintage Guitar, at least to have it appraised, maybe to consign it. If you do decide to consign it, I think Austin would be a better market than Houston for something like this. AFAIK consignments will still run 20-25%. With the right store, you may still come out ahead of eBay.

If I were to sell anything like this on eBay, I would protect myself against claims by videotaping everything, including the packing process.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
Thanks Dave, I have a very good UPS store that I have all of my parts for work shipped to and I ship my used stuff back through the same store.  The only way a claim works with UPS is if UPS packs it - if they don't they have an out every time.  I think that a video is a good idea as well.

I just got pics of it and holy crap has this thing been played!  Mojo is an understatement!  Like you always hear - the good ones get played to death and the ones that where put under the bed maybe got put there for a reason.  From what I can see it looks like it was a sunburst with a white overcoat/primer and the top coat is Lake Placid blue.  I'll probably run it by Rockin Robin next weekend just to see what they think and see what they want to consign it.  The Austin thing does make a lot a lot of sense though - might give that a shot as well.  I just need to get the most money out this that I can for wife's friend - she getting very low on funds and things are getting desperate for her.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:01:37 AM »
Sounds like you have the shipping part covered. A camera is still handy to document the condition, show it's playable and complete, etc.

It's sad that she has to sell it. Sometimes it just has to be done.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »
Good timing. I gotta sell my Zemaitis ASAP tooo
I'm gonna insist that whoever buys it must come to SoCal & pick it up in person.
That's how I got it-by flying to NY & getting a seat on the plane for it!
No freakin' way do you trust any method of mailing a super valuable ax!
Tho I admit that I did when I was young & foolish. (a few years ago when I bought that '53 Gibson!)

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:17:13 AM by Dave W »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:56:21 AM »
Good timing. I gotta sell my Zemaitis ASAP tooo
I'm gonna insist that whoever buys it must come to SoCal & pick it up in person.
That's how I got it-by flying to NY & getting a seat on the plane for it!
No freakin' way do you trust any method of mailing a super valuable ax!

That really limits your market.  I don't have a problem with shipping any bass, provided that it's well packaged and fully insured.  Once it's paid for, it's not mine any more and I don't have a problem with shipping it any way the buyer wants.

I would NOT get on a plane to buy any instrument except perhaps a Stradivarius...but there are what...a dozen in the world?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
There were only (I think) 7 lefty Zs made, & (I think) 4 were acoustic guitars.

I'll soon be talking to a guy who sells vintage guitars & has sold thousands on ebay with 100% feedback.
He generally gets 30% but may take less for a super special one like this, his employee told me today.

Keep us posted, willya Lightyear?

I've bought a lotta stuff on ebay but haven't sold a thing. That's why I'm going to a broker.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:04:23 PM by Dave W »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »
That really limits your market.  I don't have a problem with shipping any bass, provided that it's well packaged and fully insured.  Once it's paid for, it's not mine any more and I don't have a problem with shipping it any way the buyer wants.

I would NOT get on a plane to buy any instrument except perhaps a Stradivarius...but there are what...a dozen in the world?

Ever seen the movie The Red Violin? All musicians should see it. EVERYONE should see it, in fact.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
Tough call for all concerned...

Buzz, if there is provenance would it be worth shooting Hard Rock a line...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:05:14 PM »
She can't find the letter that her brother got when he bought it from the shop in Hollywood - it would be hard to prove.  I'm going to try to get it appraised this weekend.  She's in a tough spot and I can not let her try to sell this thing on her own - she'll get screwed over big time. 

I'll keep you all posted and thanks for the tips.

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
I'd love to see it if you get a chance to post a pic!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:36 PM »
Just some additional thoughts re: Ebay, in the event you decide to go that route...  You could require that payment be made by bank wire transfer and indicate that you are willing to ship it via UPS w/insurance - just set the expectations in your auction terms that shipping is at the buyers risk, the insurance is there to mitigate that risk, and it is up to the buyer to sort out any shipping damage claim should the need arise.  Maybe offer local pickup as an option if they'd like to eliminate the risk of shipping it.

Obviously, those terms might be deal breakers for some but if you have a stellar track record on there and you give it the "Olivia's" treatment with the photos, then I'm sure it will get some attention.  I agree about videotaping/photographing the packing job- that could only help in the event of a claim.

In any case, good luck with it and I hope everything works out for her.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »
Just some additional thoughts re: Ebay, in the event you decide to go that route...  You could require that payment be made by bank wire transfer and indicate that you are willing to ship it via UPS w/insurance - just set the expectations in your auction terms that shipping is at the buyers risk, the insurance is there to mitigate that risk, and it is up to the buyer to sort out any shipping damage claim should the need arise.  Maybe offer local pickup as an option if they'd like to eliminate the risk of shipping it.

Can't do either of those anymore, eBay's accepted payments policy doesn't allow payment by bank wire transfer except for eBay Motors and certain industrial machinery, and the seller is now responsible for the merchandise until it's in the buyer's possession.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
Ugh- didn't realize their terms had changed re: wire transfers.  I personally wouldn't want to take Paypal for something like that.  Too much potential for someone to take advantage their "buyer centric" return/charge-back policies.  Might get it back with MIM parts...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »
The broker is gonna charge me 20% to sell my Z.
That will be fine if he gets me a good price for it.

Hope she finds that letter! Good luck!
I gotta dig up my letters & stuff tooo