Author Topic: Covers?  (Read 5022 times)

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
Covers?
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »
Can anybody sell me some covers for this piece o crap? At least the neck pup cover would be great.
Then I wouldn't be so embarrased to be seen with this thing ;)

Fleet Guitars

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Covers?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:27:19 AM »
 Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll make it easy for ya why not just sell me that piece of crap? Problem solved. ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »
Very nice! I don't remember seeing this one before. What's the story?

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
This was part of a trade with Baz, for my Beloved DR201. He posted about it here before the trade, I believe, with many pictures.Maybe he remembers the thread and can freshen my mind about it.
It was a broken neck, beat up,hole where the jack was- with a little plastic PG or something. Original finish, possibly. Just not much of it!
There is one error, the fingerboard is not finished on the sides. OOPs.
That makes me an unknowledgeable re- finisher, according to Baz......... :-\
Fleet Guitars

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Dammit!!!! You F'ed it up!!! Now you have to strip it ALL THE DOWN to the wood, and start all over!!!!!!! LOL Yeah, I also heard that there were many variations on how these damn things were painted!!!!!! Headstock matching body, headstock raised part black, sides to the fingerboard, sides to the top, etc. It's all over the place. But I always like Overand Watts white headstock thunderbird!!!! (like the way i back pedalled out of that one???)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »
I don't remember that one either - did you refinish it?  Looks great to me!

For some reason, I really like the covers on the both the reverse and non-rev.  They make for a comfortable "thumb rest" for me - I find that I tend to  straddle them - thumb on the neck cover, pinky on the bridge cover, and play above the bridge pickup.  I tried to like the covers on the jazz and ric, but ultimately had to ditch them because they get in my way.  Definitely a subjective thing, though. MMV

Too bad greatdealz is out of the neck covers.  Bought both of mine for ~75 - should'a grabbed some extras.  Didn't realize I'd develop a functional fondness for them.

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:33:39 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll make it easy for ya why not just sell me that piece of crap? Problem solved. ;D

Don't think I'm driving through Harrisburg anytime soon, though!!!! (itsa yoke) ;D
Fleet Guitars

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
Dammit!!!! You F'ed it up!!! Now you have to strip it ALL THE DOWN to the wood, and start all over!!!!!!! LOL Yeah, I also heard that there were many variations on how these damn things were painted!!!!!! Headstock matching body, headstock raised part black, sides to the fingerboard, sides to the top, etc. It's all over the place. But I always like Overand Watts white headstock thunderbird!!!! (like the way i back pedalled out of that one???)

You, Sir, are the epitome of tact after da fact!
Fleet Guitars

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
I don't remember that one either - did you refinish it?  Looks great to me!

For some reason, I really like the covers on the both the reverse and non-rev.  They make for a comfortable "thumb rest" for me - I find that I tend to  straddle them - thumb on the neck cover, pinky on the bridge cover, and play above the bridge pickup.  I tried to like the covers on the jazz and ric, but ultimately had to ditch them because they get in my way.  Definitely a subjective thing, though. MMV

Too bad greatdealz is out of the neck covers.  Bought both of mine for ~75 - should'a grabbed some extras.  Didn't realize I'd develop a functional fondness for them.

Precisely! Am hoping someone here actually did buy a few covers and will take pity on this po' boy!
Fleet Guitars

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:40 PM »
we need to get Mr. Mahlke to stamp some more.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »
I've seriously been looking for a neck cover for half a year now. It's ridiculous that I can buy a bridge cover for $15 off of guitarpartsresource, but the only neck cover I've seen for sale was going for over $100 on ebay UK, with no international shipping.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »
I've seriously been looking for a neck cover for half a year now. It's ridiculous that I can buy a bridge cover for $15 off of guitarpartsresource, but the only neck cover I've seen for sale was going for over $100 on ebay UK, with no international shipping.

The same bridge cover was used on a number of models, including EBOs, 'TBird' neck covers were specific to only Thunderbirds and Embassies.  When you compare production numbers of the models that used the same bridge covers to those of TBirds and Embassies it might make sense as to why there are so few neck covers available.   And even fewer repros.

Not a lot of demand, otherwise people who were making repros would still be doing it.

we need to get Mr. Mahlke to stamp some more.

Maybe someone who wants one could put together a group of buyers and provide him some incentive.  It  doesn't seem out of the question if he has the tooling already.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Guys, guys, guys, whats with this recent demand for these archaic bits of metal? They do nothing to enhance the playability of the bass, they just plain get in the way. Your Birds need to be naked and free to be all that they can. It's like trying to make love to a woman wearing a suit of armor. There I said it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:48:18 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:38:44 PM »
Guys, guys, guys, whats with this recent demand for these archaic bits of metal? They do nothing to enhance the playability of the bass, they just plain get in the way. Your Birds need to be naked and free to be all that they can, like trying to make love to a woman wearing a suit of armor. There I said it.

The reason most of them disappeared.  And why mine wait patiently in the case as they become rarer and 'more valuable' to be sold to some furriner when the dollar is worth zip and I need a kidney.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »
Guys, guys, guys, whats with this recent demand for these archaic bits of metal? They do nothing to enhance the playability of the bass, they just plain get in the way. Your Birds need to be naked and free to be all that they can, like trying to make love to a woman wearing a suit of armor. There I said it.

I actually like them!  Especially bridge covers, they work really well as a hand rest for the outside edge of my playing hand when I play pickstyle, at that point a pup cover is well out of the way so I like them too.
In my collection various basses have one, two or none - variety = the spice of life  ;) 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...