Author Topic: Beware of the seniors  (Read 3896 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Beware of the seniors
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
At my age, I can appreciate this.

Warning: NSFW due to language

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Beware of the seniors
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »
I'm on the fence about this. On one hand, I hate golf. And obviously some people take the game a little too seriously. It WAS kind of a funny gag, and an ingenious little scooper there to corral the ball. There is another version on YouTube that shows a closeup of the car.

On the other hand, I see Dave's point - if they make a habit of doing this, it could get old real fast. The second guy must have been a holdover from Cocoon...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:43:53 PM »
I would have smashed the car as well.  Golf is supposed to be relaxing, not a place for college kids to play with their younger brother's toy cars.  And old guy #1 has a point about the green - the course staff would be more pissed than the golfers if they saw the kid f**king with the greens that take so much care and attention to look so good.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
I'm not a golfer nor a fan of the game but if that was legit those kids got exactly what they deserved.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:48:24 AM »
My sentiments exactly.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:18:35 AM »
LMAO!  "Whoa.  This guy is fast!  He's still running."
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
As is our custom, I digress... ;D
Ya know what bugs me about golf? (and tennis, bowling as well) Why does everybody have to be quiet when these guys are taking a shot? Because they have to concentrate? Gimme a break! Hitting a 90 mph fastball requires concentration too, but nobody tells 50k people to shut up while the ball is put in play! Every other sport has cheering during the entire competition, not to mention obnoxious, beer swilling fans and gigantic PA systems. I say get some of that on the golf course and we'll see how good these guys are at hitting the little white ball. And what's with the "no spitting" rule? Again, in almost every other sport, saliva flows freely on the field of play - it's practically mandatory in baseball. It'll help water the green fer cryin' out loud. At least make it legal to launch one into the water traps every so often. Likewise, lets make sure the participants get to scratch periodically as well.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »
You don't have to like golf or its odd customs to appreciate this. They interfered in someone else's game. They have only themselves to blame.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:56 AM »
You don't have to like golf or its odd customs to appreciate this. They interfered in someone else's game. They have only themselves to blame.

Exactly.  It's not all that different than some jackwagon bolting across a football field or baseball diamond while the game is on.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Bitingly dissenting opinion ...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:26:29 PM »
This sounds a bit like if those old geezers had shot the kids "the kids would have only had themselves to blame".  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Big no. The resident attorney speaks. Using the toy car was a joke of candid camera ilk. You might not like the joke or think its funny. But it didn't do any permanent or material harm. The old geezers could have laughed it off, wagged their fingers at the kids and yelled "now have that toy car shove the ball back to its original position or we'll spank you and speak to your parents". And the kids would have probably done so. You know what, the old men could have acted as sports not as vicious idiots. The appropriate reaction would have been to pick up the car and holler good-naturedly at the bush: "Does that mean we get to keep this now or do you want it back?"

Smashing the toy car was ill temper and bad style by the bearded guy. But it gets worse: Attacking the kid with the club by the unbearded one was armed assault, nothing else. I would have indicted him for it, the f***ing idiot. What would have happened if the kid had stumbled, would it have been ok for the old, idiotic badger to hit him? Just a little, until he starts to bleed or completely dead? He did disturb their game you know.

An eye for an eye, a smashed head for a dislocated golf ball? You guys can't be serious about this. We're writing 2011 not 1811 where it was ok to hang someone for stealing horses. Or maybe it wasn't even ok to do that back then.

This has nothing to do with golf, college pranks, old or young. It has to do with reasoned, balanced reaction. You're expected to have that as an adult, more so as a pensioner. I find how the sour-faced unbearded guy/armed assaulter acted absolutely intolerable. Too bad he didn't have a heart attack while running. Or maybe he did. There is still hope.

I've done worse things as a kid or youth. No one ever attacked me with a golf club for it nor would I have thought back then or today that he would have had a right to.

Look and behold: Dave has started a political discussion.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:41:16 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Leave it to the lawyer to make sense.  Killjoy.   8)

Still, I see your point.  I don't have a problem with them busting up the car, but I can see that physical assault is taking it too far the other way.   I don't have a problem with practical jokes played on friends, but I tend to draw the line on unsuspecting bystanders.  I didn't even find all of Candid Camera that funny.   Some stuff was, some wasn't.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
"Leave it to the lawyer to make sense.  Killjoy.    8)"

You mean I was too heavy-handed?  ;)

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
Nope, just precise... ;D

Billy mentioned something that might be worth moving forward with...

Shooting, Archery, Golf... they are all sports that are essentially "solo" - the better you get, the more the inner-calm settles on you - that's the only way I can define it... to a lesser extent "one-on-one" (squash/tennis etc) requires a certain degree of concentration... "team-sports" are "dislocated-battles" - supporting the warriors who are your chosen heros to do battle with the arch-enemy; the wearing of colours; the battle anthems... it's tribal, it's WAR...!

My sport was archery with a "take-down" bow but I haven't done any shooting for about 10 years due to shoulder damage...

(can't stand golf) :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Bitingly dissenting opinion ...
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
Look and behold: Dave has started a political discussion.  :mrgreen:
Yay! :thumbsup: Welcome to the dark side, Dave!

Oh counselor...
What would the situation be if old guy #2 vapor-locked and croaked while chasing the kid?
Boy, we can turn ANYTHING into cannon fodder around here!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
Oh come on now, no one is advocating shooting them.

If the man had hit the punk with his club, he might have been charged with assault, depending on the venue and the prosecutor. But maybe not, since the punks ran out and confronted them. If he were charged, I can't imagine a jury anywhere in the US would convict him.

Nothing political about this.