Author Topic: Big Caps  (Read 999 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Big Caps
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
A while back I was in my F2-B preamp to fix what ended up being a broken solder joint on one of the power supply filter caps.  I really wanted to replace them altogether at that time, but the only high voltage electrolytics that I could find from my usual component vendors would have cost upwards of 80 bucks for the set(!).

Forward to just recently, and this thing's started humming something fierce.  I figured these 30+ year old caps finally gave up the ghost, so I went looking again and found a place called Just Radios (http://www.justradios.com/) who specialize in restoration parts for old tube radios.  Found a set there for just over $13, and their turnaround on the order was really fast.

Well, that fixed the hum and the old preamp sounds mighty fine once again!  Honestly I wasn't sure if/how these "cheapie" caps would compare to the rather expensive Cornell Dubilier replacements.  If any of you amp gurus have opinions on that, you won't offend me- might be good to know for future reference.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that source in case it helps anyone else. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Big Caps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »
I know I'm really pushing my luck with those in my Hiwatt, dated '69

I have a (reasonable) UK source, but time has...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:17 AM »
I just went wottheheck and had all of them replaced in my '67 blackface Bassman.  Had a grounded AC cord installed at the same timeb
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »
I've been in the habit of trying to plan ahead and replace the power supply caps whenever I have to crack something open for service.  This is the only high voltage device I've worked on, though.  Usually its old keys or effects, and their low voltage caps are easy to find at mouser, digikey, allied, etc...