Author Topic: End of the world  (Read 1713 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
End of the world
« on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:41 PM »
OK OK I know we are happily a no religious topic zone here but I have to paraphrase a conversation I read today on an "End of Days" website. Mostly because while I respect other people rights to their own beliefs I have to admit I have trouble with the doomsdayers and see them as just a bit silly.

The current batch believe that the beggining of The Rapture will start on 21st of May 2011.

On the site I was browsing an atheist posted a long rant about why he thought it was all a load of hogwash.
A doomsdayer replied with a whole lot of biblical quotes and the usual expected rhetoric.
Then a third guy chimes in and says "Can I have all of your money and stuff? Thanks."

I was both killing myself laughing and annoyed with myself for not thinking of the same idea.  ;D
Then I cleaned up the coffee.

Please dont comment on the religious aspect of this. The fun was in the comedy of the guys clever response not the topic of their conversation.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: End of the world
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:50 AM »
 :mrgreen:

The doomsdayers are 100% correct in their analysis that the world will come to an end. Sometime.

As to ascribing a concrete date to it, I personally feel with all doom respect that they have been very much in the trial and error phase for the last few milleniums, but as earth's lifespan, i.e. that of our solar system wanes, it is only a question of time until they get it right. Like chimps - excuse the anti-creationist slant of this remark -writing the bible. If you wait long enough.

That said, when the world comes to an end on 21 May this year, you can all have my basses. First come first get!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 05:30:39 AM »
Apparently it takes 5 months for the whole "end of the world" process to complete so that takes it to October 21st. Uwe count me in, that gives me 5 months of playing  your basses before oblivion!   :thumbsup:
Digresion our specialty!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 05:44:49 AM »
On Rotten.com, one of the narratives outlining the fundamentals of one of the world's major religions says we should "look at the apocalypse as a cosmic reboot."
I rather liked that.

Apparently it takes 5 months for the whole "end of the world" process to complete so that takes it to October 21st. Uwe count me in, that gives me 5 months of playing  your basses before oblivion!   :thumbsup:

Well, my birthday is October 24 and I'll be pissed if I don't make it!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
Yeah, that's a bunch of hogwash. The world won't end until late 2012. I forget the exact date, but I got MY information from some people who really know ;D
Rick

Chaser001

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:53:57 AM »
I looked up the guy making the 2011 prediction.  He has a radio station which I used to sometimes encounter in the 1980s when I was learning Portuguese and diligently trying to find Portuguese stations on shortwave radio.  I didn't realize that he had turned all that into a religious cult.  Apparently, he started moving in that direction in the late 1980s. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
Wait a minute, I thought it ends Dec 21, 2012!  I wish they would all agree on a firm date so I'd know exactly when to cancel Netflix and stop buying underwear.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 06:57:54 AM »
I wish they would all agree on a firm date so I'd know exactly when to cancel Netflix and stop buying underwear.

Bravo!!!!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:26:42 AM »
Same as the date of my last car payment.
That figures  :rolleyes:
Dyslexics untie!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »
I figure that to make all events balance in the cosmos, the Cougs will win the Rose Bowl before the clock hits midnight.  If I'm right, we're all safe for a couple more years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »
Will Michael Stipe still feel fine?

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
I figure that to make all events balance in the cosmos, the Cougs will win the Rose Bowl before the clock hits midnight.  If I'm right, we're all safe for a couple more years.

I was using the Detroit Lions as my measuring stick, and according to either date posted, the Lions would HAVE to be the winner in next years Super Bowl. Yep, it looks like a pretty safe bet. Even if Hell freezes over first, the outcome should be the same (according to my detailed calculations).  ;D
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
Never thought of Neil Peart as a seer...

the 21-12-12 (or 21-21-12 to the Yankees - works both ways for Rush fans ;D) comes from Mayan prophecies doesn't it...?

All will come to thee who waits...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
Even if the Mayan prophecies are true, it has been proven that they read the calendar wrong so the end could now be considered December 21st, 2012 give or take 50 years or so.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »
... and lets not forget how they screwed up the Gregorian calender on the switchover...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...