Author Topic: Jazzbird?  (Read 3550 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Jazzbird?
« on: January 06, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
I noticed this on the 4henry.gibson forum.
I may have missed the explanation if it was posted previously. If so I apologise.

So, what's the deal with the the bound jazz bass looking fingerboard? Was this a custom shop jobby or a mod or factory?

Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Jazzbird?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »

It belongs to Uwe.
He can tell the whole story behind it, one very cool 'Bird.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »
Sorry Mark, I should have mentioned it was one of Uwe's. Thanks.
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:01:41 PM »

I think it's way sexy! Love the binding and blocks, *sighs* the things Gibson could do in the hands of good ownership.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:56:49 AM »
Let's see, from memory:

It began life as a custom order for erstwhile Scorpions bassist Francis Buchholz in the early eighties. At a visit of his and Rudolf Schenker to Naziville  :-[ Nashville ze Germans did not like the original fin of the Bird (incidentally: full Korina, whether that was at Francis' request or whether they just had some korina lying around I don't know, he had been dabbling off and on with both Rev and Non-Rev TBirds in his career though he was mainly a P-Bass and later on a Warwick player). I assume that it was sunburst at the time, but did not feature the J-style yet and had different pups, possibly even pre-TB-Plus ones. This bass, with its large headstock, was probably built in advance of the Nikki Sixx-led resurgence of the TB in 87.

So the Krauts don't like it ("Vee haff ze vvvays to make you refin zis, Amerikaner!") and leave it at the factory standing in the rack and gathering dust, eventually even forget about it (because they lose another war or something or other). A young new luthier at Gibson called Phil Jones (not the amp maker) has some compassion and starts fiddling with the thing. He strips it (which was a lot of work he told me, the original fin had gone deep into the pores of the korina and korina is a pain to strip), rebuilds original 60ies TB pups from scratch and "jazzes" the neck up. (Phil Jones is today a boutique luthier und builds - you guessed it - luxury J basses, it was obviously in him already some decades back ...)

Come end of his tenure with Gibson, Jones (who designed the nineties LP bass line, the Blackbird, EB-650 and EB-750 and many others) was a master luthier there and had this Bird as his own private pet project. It was dear to him and he took it with him when he left Gibson come turn of the millenium. While he still smarts from his time with Gibson (and doesn't build boutique Gibsons today) that bass was only sold due to financial dire straits which is why it found its way to Gruhn, was discovered by Shawn/the Alembickerer who subsequently divulged his find to me ...

Der Rest ist Geschichte, thanks for listening!  

PS: Funny, I never saw it as a "Jazzbird", but that is what it is! And of course the original TB IV was Gibson's early answer to the Jazz Bass (the later one was the Ripper) in more ways than one. I always found it a little surprising that Jazz Bass players don't take more kindly to the TBird and vice versa. I can't really think of any popular bass player playing both though. My like for both models is certainly related. A single coil TBird could be something too, hmmmh ...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:23:15 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »
Nice story...

You should write a book about those beasties you've got... even if only for private circulation... high end photos...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:00:21 AM »
That is one gorgeous T-bird, and an interesting story, Uwe!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
Beautiful 'bird and great story, Uwe, thanks!  IMO the Jazz necks were a nod by Fender to what had been a Gibson guitar feature for a very long time, bound and blocked necks.  It's something they knew how to do well and should have been a no brainer on a Tbird.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 07:18:43 AM »
Since no one asked  :-\ in this fickle and superficial forum obsessed with (and easily diverted by) mere visuals, I won't tell you that the sound is not that hugely different to a standard maho Bird, a touch more middish, clearer and scooped, korina sounds a bit like a cross between maho and alder.

As you would expect from a bass owned by a luthier for many years it does have the neatest fretjob of all my TBirds though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:35:23 AM by uwe »

fealach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:52 AM »
That's a beautiful bass.  It is now my favorite TBird ever.  It always annoys me when I see a gorgeous Firebird with block inlays that they don't do this on the bass.  Funny that Gibson puts blocks on their guitars but not basses, while Fender likes to put blocks on basses but not guitars.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
I never realized that, but you're right. Curious.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
I always found it a little surprising that Jazz Bass players don't take more kindly to the TBird and vice versa

Puzzling indeed ! It's always the P players who'll start to dabble in T-Birds ( and some of them are lost forever  :mrgreen: ) If only my arms were a little longer .........  :sad:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:48 AM »
Nice bass!

And I guess the '76 T-bird is almost a singlecoil Bird? The two coils with blade in the middle are more stacked singlecoil than humbucker, I gues..

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »
They have a singlecoilish nature in sound, but not the forceful purity of what's on a Jazz.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:38 AM »
Nice bass!

And I guess the '76 T-bird is almost a singlecoil Bird? The two coils with blade in the middle are more stacked singlecoil than humbucker, I gues..

Depends on your definition of Humbucker...from word IQ.com
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Humbucker

Humbuckers get their common name because they amplify less of this hum (they "buck the hum"), since they consist of two standard single-coil magnetic pickups, usually side by side, with opposing electric and magnetic polarity. (This wiring is sometimes mistakenly called being wired "out of phase".) Common-mode signals, that is, signals that radiate into both coils with equal amplitude, tend to cancel each other out when they travel through both coils.