Author Topic: Cooking fun......  (Read 1281 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Cooking fun......
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »

A little Holiday cooking fun on New's Year's Day.

A simple stew made with Guiness Extra stout (who knew you could actually cook with it, much less drink it! I always thought it was left over road repair tar.) as part of the gravy. I'm such a domestic dolly sometimes, I should have had my maid's outfit on  ;)

First saute some onions and garlic in a dutch oven.

Then brown some stew meat in small batches

Return all the meat to the pan and coat with flour - then add the Guiness.

Add the carrots.....

Let the stew simmer for an hour and a half, during the last 30 minutes boil some Yukon Gold potatoes. and add some prunes to the stew.

And when they boiled enough drain, add butter, garlic, basil and milk + elbow grease.

And serve with beer......In this case I've decided to attempt to drink the Guiness Extra Stout as well  :o
 :toast:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Re: Cooking fun......
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »
Some crusty bread and you're good to go. I made a batch of crock-pot stew last Thursday.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:45:41 PM by Muzikman7 »
Tony

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »
Now I'm hungry!  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
DANG!!  Menu inspiration while-U-wait!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
First saute some onions and garlic in a dutch oven.

Looks great, Mark, but really? A dutch oven? You need to keep that to yourself!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »

Not *that* Dutch oven Denis........ The other Dutch oven.  ;D

I'm surprised no one has commented on the changing levels/types of beer in the glass  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
Not *that* Dutch oven Denis........ The other Dutch oven.  ;D

Oh sure, so you say!

I'm surprised no one has commented on the changing levels/types of beer in the glass  ;)

No comment needed. Everyone recognizes the requirement for imbibing in tasty beverages while cooking!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »
I was sold up to the prunes :P  I know that they balance out the beer and add some zip to the stew but I just can't get past prunes!

We all have our phobias ;D

I did Google "Dutch Oven" and was relieved to find out it was not a sex act :)

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/dutch+oven

I guess I've led a sheltered life :rolleyes:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:41:26 PM »
Sure looks tasty. It looks like a lot of work, which justifies drinking the rest of the Guinness.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
sounds like a wonderful recipe. here is a very simple one to enjoy with a late night comfort cocktail. preferably a warm one.

take a ripened pear and simply cut it in half and core it like you would an apple. put a tablespoon of a good EVOO in an egg skillet like i have which has a thick bottom that will evenly distribute the heat from the burner. warm the olive oil and skillet and drop in the pear halves open side down cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until the face of the cut surface is carmalized on a low heat. the olive oil will soften the pear as well as combine with the nautral sugars in the pear to make a delightful sweet taste. when serving i sometimes cover the pear with a bit of cinnamon or molasses serving with a fork along with a hot toddy or warmed whisky or brandy.

one can make this with a firmer pear, just peel it and look for a texture change like an onion. the body of the pear will start to turn translucent like a cooked onion and when the color/texture change hits the top of the pear, it is done.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:32:10 AM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW