Author Topic: Good Ol' Classic Blues Songs  (Read 101448 times)

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

nofi

• View Profile

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Good Ol' Classic Blues Songs
« Reply #302 on: March 16, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXjg9wlIT8A&feature=related

houston stackhouse singing tommy johnson's "cool drink of water".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:39:31 PM by nofi »

nofi

• View Profile

nofi

• View Profile

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 16, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mABWR1jCmw8&future=related

more king biscuit boy with the ronnie hawkins band.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:37:40 PM by nofi »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »
Ol' Duane played on some Ronnie Hawkins stuff...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
ordinarily led zep would be a good band to include in 'the original vs redone' comparison. but since they 'stole' roughly sixteen songs without giving credit to the original artists, screw 'em. >:(

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »
Nofi,
King Biscut Boy with Crowbar WTF :o. I've been looking for that since the early 70s. There is a song on that called Badly Bent that I played for years. The guitar player I had at the time was a real stick of dynamite and he turned me on to the tune and he turned a few others on to it and I turned a few others on to it and so on. Anyway, there have been at least 20 or 30 local bands playing that song for 40 freakin' years and I only know two people who have ever heard the record...and one of them died two years ago. No one ever had the lyrics right, I had a few and made up the rest and another singer I know who learned the song from my old guitar player did the same thing and made up about half his own lyrics. Everytime I hear a local band do that tune I listen to see if they're singing my lyrics or his. I always track down the band members to see where they got the tune and it always comes back to someone I or my old guitar player crossed paths with. I found a few other versions searching on line a few years ago but I never heard the record and of all the people out there playing the song , I've never met anyone who has heard the record except my old guitar player and he never owned a copy. It's a kick ass fast past rocker of a tune(or at least I think it is). I searched for this forever just to see if I was anything close to the original , but no one in any record store I was ever in had a clue. I wasn't really sure it even existed. Part of the problem may have been, I always thought it was Crowbar with King Biscut Boy.
I think Crowbar was a band out of Canada , but I don't know anything for sure ???
Have you got a copy of this??? Where kind I find it ??? JEEZ , I feel like I'm about to find the Holy Grail ;D ;D.
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
Rick, the one album King Biscuit Boy did with Crowbar was called Official Music. It was reissued on CD in the mid 90s and it's still in print (or reprint). And it's on iTunes.

IIRC Crowbar were Canadians who had backed up Ronnie Hawkins.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
Rick, the one album King Biscuit Boy did with Crowbar was called Official Music. It was reissued on CD in the mid 90s and it's still in print (or reprint). And it's on iTunes.

IIRC Crowbar were Canadians who had backed up Ronnie Hawkins.

I've got to check this out. I said it before and I will say it again, This is the best thread ever ;D. I can't exagerate enough to tell you what a quest this has been for me. I just know when I find the original it will be nothing like the song half of Michigan has been playing for 40 years ;D. I've got a couple of arrangements that I've done from memory of something I heard on the radio and I will come home and hammer it out and think I nailed it. I polish it up and play it for years and pass it on to a lot of other musicians and then a couple of decades later I hear the original again and find out I pretty much wrote an entirely different song. A couple of them are my signature pieces and I get loads of compliments on my creative arrangements. Little do they know it's simply a case of F'd up memory ;) Thank you a million times, I've got to get on itunes and track this sucker down.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
I may still have the vinyl - I had a number of Crowbar albums... presently under a lot of stuff in the loft if it's still here...

Jozef Chirowski was a keys player with them - went on to work with Alice
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »
i have all the records. that is one thing in my collection that never changes

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
I hate to say it but I again forgot how to post a YouTube video. I'm surprised at how many great live Sonny Boy Williamson videos there are on youtube