Author Topic: Going to Zappa Plays Zappa Tonight  (Read 1754 times)

Muzikman7

• View Profile
Going to Zappa Plays Zappa Tonight
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
Saw Frank many times. This will be first time seeing Dweezil's band they are going to play the entire "Apostrophe" album with video interface of Frank playing with the band celebrating Franks 70th birthday.
Tony

patman

• View Profile
Re: Going to Zappa Plays Zappa Tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
A good friend who I trust told me that Zappa plays Zappa was the best Rock and Roll show he ever saw.

YMMV

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
That sounds AWESOME! I saw Frank do most of the Apostrophe songs in '74 with George Duke on keys & Ruth Underwood on percussion.
Saw him with his Low Budget Orchestra do a few songs from Apostrophe tooo
Sure would be cool to see Jack Bruce playing on the title track!  8)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
saw Frank 13 straight years on Halloween at the Paladium in NY.  AWESOME.    Actually one year matbe 2 he had  2bass players the whole show.       

heard this show is tremendous and Dweezil is great . 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:38:06 PM »
saw Frank 13 straight years on Halloween at the Paladium in NY.  AWESOME.    Actually one year matbe 2 he had  2bass players the whole show.       

heard this show is tremendous and Dweezil is great . 

Now THAT'S a band with 2 bassplayers I'd have loved to see!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »
Are they planning to do UK shows...?

Saw FZ on two tours - all at Hammersmith - the first time as the four piece (Eddie Jobson with the stunning Bozzio/O'Hearn rhythm section - just FZ on guitar - awesome) that toured for Zoot Allures and then the shows where they recorded some of the basic tracks for Sheik... Adrian Belew played some solos and all basic guitar with FZ strapping on the guitar just to play the solos - not a chord to be seen - a lot of conducting, mind you... again with Terry Bozzio and Patrick O'Hearn and...

TITTIESANDBEERTITTIESANDBEERTITTIESANDBEERTITIESANDBEERTITTIESANDBEERTITTIESANDBEER...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:11:57 PM »
Lucky bastards, all of ya.  >:(
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:55:28 PM »
I just got back good show but it's just not the same without Frank I got to give credit to Dweezil for keeping the music alive though. They played "Keep It Greasy" and Dweezil asked the females to come up on stage to dance my sister and her best friend danced on stage aside from the dance Dweezil called them giant women because they were tall than he was. If you get the chance check them out. In regards to the Paladium I was at a bunch of those shows in fact the last video showing a Halloween gig I can be see during "Muffin Man" in the audience.
Tony

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »
Saw many a Zappa show from the early 80's, which is  probably my least favorite years for him.

Wish I could have seen early Mothers & the George Duke line up, which was the best musically to me.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:19:15 AM »
I just got back good show but it's just not the same without Frank I got to give credit to Dweezil for keeping the music alive though. They played "Keep It Greasy" and Dweezil asked the females to come up on stage to dance my sister and her best friend danced on stage aside from the dance Dweezil called them giant women because they were tall than he was. If you get the chance check them out. In regards to the Paladium I was at a bunch of those shows in fact the last video showing a Halloween gig I can be see during "Muffin Man" in the audience.

i was at that show   :)
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
Lucky bastards, all of ya.  >:(

Whilst waiting at the bar at the Rainbow Theatre in Feb '77 between sets (Clover and Lynyrd Skynyrd) I was talking with sincere admiration to an American that had seen the Allman's shows at the Fillmore, recorded for that album - he'd also been at Woodstock and his lasting impression was, "The stench..."
Backstage at Reading in '83 I was talking to a Texan and he was discussing seeing his heros - Hendrix and Allman...
The 2nd player in my present band is 65 - he's seen pretty much every blues and rock guitarist that has ever played the UK - saw Hendrix several times...
I gave away a ticket to see Ozbourne with Randy so I could go to someone's 18th on Blizzards 1st tour... never did see Randy...
I declined the chance of a gig with well known singer - never met him - decided my apprenticeship was more important...

There will always be those that have seen what you may regret not having seen...

There will be those you talk to in the future that admire/envy you for who you may have seen...

Enjoy every sandwich... ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:41:06 PM by Kenny's 51st State »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 04:15:04 PM »
dweezil to me is like frank sintra jr.  :P
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
i was at that show   :)
I wish I knew would have said hello I had a Santa hat on sat in seat H-L 16
Tony

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »
dweezil to me is like frank sintra jr.  :P
  like I said it wasn't the same. Dweezil is keeping the music alive so he deserves credit for that but Frank was all together different. I enjoyed it and probably go again.
Tony

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 12:34:55 AM »
enjoy the show!i saw frank zappa in 1974 i think it was at auckland town hall after the weather stopped him playing at western springs stadium.terry bozzio ,roy estrada,napoleon murphy brock,dont remember the keybord players name-err actualy i think it was andre lewis.very good concert!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:46:50 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.