Author Topic: Ice & Seattle do not mix  (Read 1454 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Ice & Seattle do not mix
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
& busses

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Ice & Seattle do not mix
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »

I can't tell which of my fair city's several hilly neighborhoods that footage is from but the camera doesn't really show how steep the grade really is - look close! The weather last Monday 11/22 was somewhat deceptive in that it snowed without sticking most of the afternoon, then about 3:00 it got very cold, very quickly resulting in icy streets - note the all wheel drive SUV slipping while attempting the grade! Seattleites often get ridiculed for poor snow driving skills but since I too had to be out in it that night getting home from work I can honestly say it was an ugly night to be out! I drive an all wheel drive Subaru and let me say I've never been more happy about owning that car than I was last Monday! My commute is normally 6 miles 15minutes, Monday took 3 hours 15minutes - I passed countless front or rear wheel drive cars/vans, pickups and tractor trailer rigs that had stalled and wrecked or had run out of gas. Temps were down in the teens by the time I got home, I LOVE MY SUBARU!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
I think a lot of people do not realize is that AWD ect only works when you are accelerating. Braking is not AWD. Also only dedicated winter tires are good on ice. Most all wheather tires do well in snow & rain, but not ice. That scene could be any city with an icy hill. I guess here they salt BEFORE the temperature drops.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »

This is the first year ever that Seattle is using salt solution - evidently it wasn't going to do much good tho as the temps were below it's effective range. I have some short steep hills on my commute and easily get down or up by putting the car into first gear - even going down a steep grade you have give the car some throttle!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »
salt works well in northeast but is destructive...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
Snow and London don't mix - the east side of the M25 (120 mile ring road) has had traffic stuck on it for most of today - virtually nothing on my side...

Scotland, Wales and North England have born the brunt of it - a major portion of the Highlands has been cut off from the south... not quite Day after Tommorrow though... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:27:33 PM »
Yikes! That's an awful feeling when your car is going sideways and there is nothing you can do. I'm happy Chicago is flat and well-salted. Great video though.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »

Because of the physical geography Seattle traffic is almost always a bitch - throw in some hills, snow and driver inexperience ( often winter goes by with no snow) and you get disaster, some commuters needed 10 hours to get home that night, many ran out of gas while waiting for jackknifed tractor trailers and city buses to be removed. After I got home and started watching the late news I thought myself fortunate to be home!   

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:34:07 AM »
Yikes! That's an awful feeling when your car is going sideways and there is nothing you can do. I'm happy Chicago is flat and well-salted. Great video though.

So true, once you start sliding its over for the most part. ABS helps though.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »
When I was a student at Wazzu (in a town that's just about as hilly and steep as downtown Seattle) we used to wait for the first good snowfall, then watch the Seattle and California kids sliding all over the road while the Eastern WA kids just drove around them.  It's amusing at times to watch others being helpless in conditions that don't bother you a bit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:09:26 AM »
Careful with those platforms, Mark!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »

After my 3 hour and 15min drive 11/22 I was really very happy to be home with a safe, undented car! The Subaru always goes in the garage at night and for kicks I took a quick cell phone pic before going inside for the evening.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:00:17 AM »
Fräulein Rommel does gardening work too - the perfect spouse!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
Fräulein Rommel does gardening work too - the perfect spouse!  :mrgreen:

Indeed I do!

I would have made somebody a very good wife  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »

I would have made somebody a very good wife  ;)

Somehow that seems like the setup for a comment similar to the Robert Bloch quote:

"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf."

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."