Author Topic: DeArmond Starfire #2  (Read 18171 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
DeArmond Starfire #2
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:11:34 AM »
Picked up a 2nd Starfire yesterday. Had to rail all the way down to Dordrecht where I met with the seller who came up to Dordrecht to cut down my travel time. Took me a little under 3 hours to get there, that's about the limit for me where puplic transportation is concerned .....  ;)

She'll be on the rails again to Gouda this friday. PeterB's gonna fit her with ChiSonics and give her the standard CTS pots & Switchcraft jack-out upgrade.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: DeArmond Starfire #2
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:20:10 AM »
Nice!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:20:15 AM »
Nice score!

I do think putting Chi-Sonics in this bass is going to involve some routing...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:52 AM »
Not if you use their special PUPs for the Lakland hollow-body  .....  ;) Peter's done it before ....

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:56:28 AM »
What a (black) beauty... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Fierce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
Picked up a 2nd Starfire yesterday. Had to rail all the way down to Dordrecht where I met with the seller who came up to Dordrecht to cut down my travel time. Took me a little under 3 hours to get there, that's about the limit for me where puplic transportation is concerned .....  ;)

She'll be on the rails again to Gouda this friday. PeterB's gonna fit her with ChiSonics and give her the standard CTS pots & Switchcraft jack-out upgrade.

Lovely looking guitar sir

I also have a Starfire in sunburst, and am wondering about what you mentioned above? Are you able to provide more info on ChiSonic's and what the upgrades were in reference to?

I was considering selling my guitar as it doesn't get played often enough, but now I'm intrigued!

Thanks in advance

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
The sunburst was just as an example with regards to the ChiSonics. Mine is the black one on the top of this topic. PeterB's still busy fitting her with the CSs but I trust they will sound lots better than the standard GoldTone RIs, which don't really cut it IMO ......

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
Nice grab!

I still need to work on my 67 starfire II. I was fortunate to get a pair of dark stars . A couple place have said Hammond has not been active lately . I hope all is well he makes a nice pip.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:40:05 AM »
Lovely bass, congrats!
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
The sunburst was just as an example with regards to the ChiSonics. Mine is the black one on the top of this topic. PeterB's still busy fitting her with the CSs but I trust they will sound lots better than the standard GoldTone RIs, which don't really cut it IMO ......

the single coils or HB's??  Hanson not selling the HB right now....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Watcha gonna do with the pickups that come out?  Ought to fetch $$ on Ebay.

If I didn't have a set of Gretsch Filtertrons to go in my Univox hollowbody, I'd already have PM'd you about them.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »
the reiisue guild pups are not very good.  I have a SB Dearmond starfire that i was going to Darkstar but that looks like it will not happen so i am thinking about the chisonics.  These guild/dearmond pups show up on ebay for about $50 each from time to time.  IMHO the are  better than the univox ones (at least the 4 univoxes i have - but they are all the black ones - single coils) but not sure they  are worth replacing them with....

the guy from Eastwood guitars is always selling the single coil hiflyer type for about 20-25 each.

I have the same gretsch pups from ebay you have.  i haven't used them yet.  Mine are on the weak side and i think they are actually guitar pups...

You should do a comparison of the ebay pups and the new orange thing pups. (i still haven't gone to GC to try and get one)    my guess is they are very different....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:08:59 PM by jumbodbassman »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »
the single coils or HB's?? 

They're singles .........

the reiisue guild pups are not very good.  

the guy from Eastwood guitars is always selling the single coil hiflyer type for about 20-25 each.

The GoldTone RI PUPs are way too weak IMO. The Eastwood P-90s are great ! A guy on the Dutch Bas Forum has put a pair in an Eastwood Classic and the reviews from other bass-players are borderline ecstatic  ;D. Those PUPs are the main attraction on the Hi-Flyer IMO .... I did own a long-scale 1st series version .......

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 01:57:48 PM »

I have the same gretsch pups from ebay you have.  i haven't used them yet.  Mine are on the weak side and i think they are actually guitar pups...

You should do a comparison of the ebay pups and the new orange thing pups. (i still haven't gone to GC to try and get one)    my guess is they are very different....

I thought those Ebay Filtertrons were the same pickup as the ones Dr. Bassman has used.  I could easily be wrong!

I'm working on a way to mount the Filtertrons in the pickup rings on the Univox to give them a test drive...probably won't get to it any time soon, though.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
I thought those Ebay Filtertrons were the same pickup as the ones Dr. Bassman has used.  I could easily be wrong!

I think they are the same ones he's using. They're not guitar pickups.