Author Topic: It's local  (Read 2207 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
It's local
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:31:32 PM »
...so I can save on shipping: 1965 Embassy

I'm sure you other local guys will beat me to it at that price.  ;)

Must be the celebrity DNA.  :-\

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: It's local
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Must be the celebrity DNA.  :-\

Are you suggesting that the fretboard might have some other type of "funk" on it, given Sheryl's "one square per trip" policy on toilet paper?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
Are you suggesting that the fretboard might have some other type of "funk" on it, given Sheryl's "one square per trip" policy on toilet paper?

In that case, I guess it's capable of producing the "brown note"...

Ah yes... rare like a Gibson Thunderbird, but equipped with "two Firebird bass pickups". Willie's must be breaking in some ex-GC employees.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:36:24 AM »
Nice bass nonetheless

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 05:49:37 AM »
Kevin Borden has a cool one for even cheaper!!!!
http://www.kebosbassworks.com/index.php?option=com_php&view=article&Itemid=60&catId=1

Interesting site, Baz!
He also has a refinned Kerry Green '66 NR: headstock repair, replaced this and that...
He has a '78 Mocha Brown fretless P bass that's just gorgeous!
For what he wants for those beat-to-shit Fenders, though, I should be able to triple my money on mine...  :P
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 05:52:53 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
I think Kebo started the site early this year. He's probably been in business all along. Just because his old partnership dissolved doesn't mean he ever stopped selling basses.

The finish on his Embassy is in nowhere near as good shape. IMHO both of these are likely to be sitting for a long time at those prices.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
I mentioned this one a while ago.  The Sheryl Crow selling point is just horrid.  But it looks nice in person. 

Willies has had some nice stuff over the years.  I preferred the guy who used to be up on University in what looked like a house, and died about ten or 15 years ago.

Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
I mentioned this one a while ago.  The Sheryl Crow selling point is just horrid.  But it looks nice in person.  

Willies has had some nice stuff over the years.  I preferred the guy who used to be up on University in what looked like a house, and died about ten or 15 years ago.

Pete Alenov. Pete's Guitar. He had an all-star clientele: Harrison, Clapton, Dylan etc. Died in a car accident.

His brother ran the Russian Tea House next door. It's still in business.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
I think Kebo started the site early this year. He's probably been in business all along. Just because his old partnership dissolved doesn't mean he ever stopped selling basses.

Dave's right, Kevin hasn't stopped selling.  That website is just the new business name he's been using since the previous partnership was split last year.  He's very active at the BABP forum (and offers a forum discount as well as giving members first dibs on new stock), and is constantly going to guitar shows and buying new stock.  The prices on the website are "list", not "street" prices - if you see something you like, drop Kevin a line and haggle.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:19:52 PM »
IMHO both of these are likely to be sitting for a long time at those prices.

About ten years ago you could get one for $1500. I think that is what George paid for his at Mikes Music long ago.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »
Pete Alenov. Pete's Guitar. He had an all-star clientele: Harrison, Clapton, Dylan etc. Died in a car accident.

His brother ran the Russian Tea House next door. It's still in business.

I bought my Les Paul Signature Guitar from Pete, just a few months before the car accident. He hit a tree just off of HWY 100 & Minnetonka BLVD. He was on his way back from a Jonny Lang concert, if I recall correctly. There was talk of George Harrison buying his shop, at least that was the buzz from the other local guitar shops.

I was at Willie's a week ago last Saturday, after the Anoka Swap Meet. First time in quite a while. Checked out the Epiphone, noticed that the '53 EB had sold... Nate had a very early Fender Broadcaster, he forced us to try it! It made me a bit nervous, even though it was worth a lot less than an original Les Paul. I see he hasn't listed it on his web page...
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 09:17:59 PM »
Maybe the Broadcaster will find its way into Nate's collection. His Esquires might need company.

I should stop in and see him, but Menard's and Home Depot get my spare dollars these days.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 06:39:38 AM »
I think we all thought that the Embassy that sold for $3900 last year was way over the top.  There are a few that still pop up in the $2500 range that aren't as nice as the two we've linked, but they aren't selling.  Even an Epi freak like me is NOT going to spend that kind of cash for an Embassy.  And my Tom Petersson selling point isn't that big a bonus. 
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty