Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99555 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
Grizzly's benchtop overarm pin router is lightweight but they do make a heavier duty floor model. It's over 2K though, if you really want one you're probably better off looking for a used one. CNC has made used pin routers less valuable.

Obsolete equipment is always a best buy.  For around $1k you can get a heavy duty Delta overarm.  Of course you need 3 phase power or a convertor ;D
Quote from: gearHed289

link=topic=4598.msg72945#msg72945 date=1287078685
The second pic is of a replica that I believe somebody on this forum owns. Note the Warwick bridge/tailpiece. I LOVE that bass!

I also love the pin router. That used to be my favorite tool when I still worked out back here at the flight case shop. We got a 12' x 5' CNC router about 3 years ago, but the pin router still sees plenty of action. Mostly for custom foam cutouts.

DC-10's bass maybe?  I'm going with the whotabs Jaebird since it has the most complete set of pix and there's actually one of JAE with that one and its case.  They're very close except for the bridge and slightly smaller bottom horn on the JAE.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:40:04 AM by dadagoboi »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 02:09:39 PM »
From what I know, all the PC's used original Gibson body hardware... mine varied as she had PC pups but original bridge and tail...

:popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »

After seeing this picture I decided this is the one to do.  I'm trying to keep everything in proper proportion, if you see anything that doesn't look right please point it out.  The total length of the bass is 46 1/2 inches (1.18 m).  Neck dive should be minimal.  I'm figuring weight at around 8.5 lbs

Second body with hornectomy, control cavity and dummy cover, compared to original.  Upper horn shape needs some work

Pup cavities and P/G layout.  Dummy bridge

Mockup of P/G, pups and knobs, the bridge pup ring is an actual Gibby. It's easier to drill the mounting holes for the bridge/tailpiece before separating them.  This is the one off Fenderbird 2010.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
She's real purty ;D

Fleet Guitars

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:29:54 AM »
Coming along nicely...

crikey, you work quick... :o
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
You asked for input? ;D

The original's pickguard was more organic in nature on the up and lower bouts - above and below the neck.  Lower bout should be less bulbous and the upper should be a bit more - to my eye.  The origian has a very graceful curve thing going on as moves around the heel of the neck.

Also, the top edge of the guard is too close to the top of the body by about a 1/2"

Other than that it looks great!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:51:36 AM »
Coming along nicely...

crikey, you work quick... :o

Yeah, this one won't take 26 years.  I also promised I'd have some ready to ship around Thanksgiving.

You asked for input? ;D

The original's pickguard was more organic in nature on the up and lower bouts - above and below the neck.  Lower bout should be less bulbous and the upper should be a bit more - to my eye.  The origian has a very graceful curve thing going on as moves around the heel of the neck.

Also, the top edge of the guard is too close to the top of the body by about a 1/2"

Other than that it looks great!

Thanks Buzz,

All noted...I may have to bring in a Czech consultant. ;)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
Thanksgiving's less than six weeks now... Czech consultants...? there goes the project... ;D

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »
Yeah, this one won't take 26 years.  I also promised I'd have some ready to ship around Thanksgiving.

Thanks Buzz,

All noted...I may have to bring in a Czech consultant. ;)

Hey, I can be "Czech" if I get a consult fee  :P

Speaking of Czech - one of my fave all time billboards if is for Shiner Beer and was posted on I-10 around Kerville -

"Shiner Beer, Our beer runs through thousands of quality Czech's everyday!" ;D

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 04:48:21 AM »
Thanksgiving's less than six weeks now... Czech consultants...? there goes the project... ;D
Did I say Czech?  I meant Czinch.

Hey, I can be "Czech" if I get a consult fee  :P

Your czech is in the mail. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 07:25:19 AM »
Very Nice ! My stalled JAE Fenderbird  :sad:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »
Looking good, Scott!  Maybe this build will inspire you to complete it.  This is my only project right now, I have a very simple life so I can put in 4 hours almost every day.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
4 hours a day ! oh I wish ! With family, work and the band I get distracted easily.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »
Geeeeeeeez.  4 hours?  You're a lucky guy!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
The last job I had was working as the sound man at the Whisky a Go Go in 1977.  Since then I've been self employed.  First as a handyman, then a cabinet maker and finally a furniture designer. I quit designing furniture when I walked into Target, Walmart and Sam's and saw things I designed that had been knocked off by them after receiving samples from the factory I worked with.  Why work for free?  I'm divorced, my kids are grown and I receive a laughably small SS check every month that completely covers my nut.  Everything I have is paid for, including my doublewide.

Designing and building basses gets me out of bed every morning.  I don't know how far I want to take it but right now it's a lot of fun.  The plan is to build some JAEbirds and see what the response is.  It's taken some time to get into the rhythm of physically building something again, for a while I thought my patience was completely shot but it's coming back.