Author Topic: Too many basses?  (Read 20538 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Too many basses?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
That must have been first production hiccups, mine was well set-up at a store that normally doesn't set up well at all. Might have been coincidence. One of the controls was a little crackly, but that bass has been around in that shop for at least two years (which is why they now cut price quite a bit). Outlandish design & not a name brand is a sure guarantee for slow-moving stock.

IMHO the Lace basses only exist as a platform - albeit an original one -to make those pups known to the wider public in an initial phase. Once those pups are accepted by other makers (some German boutique bass makers are using them), then those basses are going to disappear. What I liked about the Lace was curiously the hugeness of the neck - four- and five-string versions share the same mansize neck - and while I generally don't like wide necks, I liked how substantial this one sounded and felt. And the overall look of the bass reminds me of a "Back to the Future"-version of the Ovation Magnum.

As regards my collection ... - it is admittedly oversized, I have, however, been restraining myself somewhat this year ...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:52:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:37 AM »
Re the Lace being a 'platform'...that's what I thought.  I was disappointed in the overall package for ergonomic reasons: neck dive (no problem around here ;D) and difficult to play sitting down.  I like my setup very low, that may have been the perceived saddle problem.  Had some of the exact saddles already filed from another project so that was easily fixed. It was also the bolt on single pup version, I could have shimmed the neck. I sent mine back, ordered a Lace Bassbar and built a bass for the pup.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:28 AM »
Here's what I currently have:

'63 Epiphone Embassy (back in the fold after a 7 year vacation...)
'81 G&L L-1000
Epiphone ET-288M w/Bartolini's
Johnson Scroll Bass #66
BaCH TH-1
'68(?) Magnatone Hurricane
Epiphone EB-1 (currently residing with my son in corn country)
Bettie Page bass (mahogany Precision body, Lollar pickup, fanfret Novax neck)

Parts for the next fan fret project (some I still need to get) - chambered maple/mahogany body, Novax neck, Dark Star neck pickup, Ric bridge pickup.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2010, 07:05:23 AM »
Frankenstein P-Bird
1976 Thunderbird
1972 EB-3
1968 EB-0
1998 Epi EB-0
1970? Dan Armstrong
1984 Squier SQ series MIJ P-Bass
Squier Classic Vibe 60s P-Bass
1993 Fender J-Bass
2002 Fender J-Bass
1998 Fender P-Bass Special
OLP MM2
SX P-Bass
SX PJ Bass
SX 75 J-Bass
SX "57" J-Bass
Kramer Ferrington ABG
Ovation CC074 Celebrity ABG

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:41 AM »
I hear ya.  I had a daughter graduate from UT Austin 2 years ago.  And Austin City Council decided to raise property taxes yet again.  I paid nearly 4k last year!! (could have bought a bunch of basses :))

Yeah - ain't it a shame when silly things like property ownership eat into your bass budget???   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
I must have the least number of basses of anyone on this forum. But, I don't collect, they're not investments and I'm pretty unsentimental about them. As long as they do the job, that's ok; as soon as they don't, they're gone. Well, maybe not as soon as - after a short delay due to deeply repressed shreds of regret.

So there's an MIJ standard P that isn't going anywhere, it'll be cremated with me. A Dearmond Starfire that fills the semi-acoustic short scale slot, not that there is one, but I've convinced myself there might be. And a 51 RI P that's in the looks nice, plays well, but doesn't really sound right category, which is where most of my basses have ended up. If I buy the black Ripper that's chasing me, the 51 might well go.

The white Epi Tbird I was very excited about when it arrived, lasted to the first gig. Just wasn't me, I felt silly with it. I felt guilty about not giving it more of a chance, but it went to Australia for twice what I paid for it, so then I didn't feel so bad.

I'm a Gemini, does that explain anything? (provide scientific proof of course.)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
"I'm a Gemini, does that explain anything?"

Depends on which one of you two we ask.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:55 PM »
I'm a Gemini, does that explain anything? (provide scientific proof of course.)

I thought that meant I had to have as many different basses as posible. ;-)
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2010, 12:42:12 PM »
Nope... being another Gemini the conflict would occur with "which one should I use?" which is why I almost always take two (one each, of course) but being another small-herd person, less is safer - less choice... "decisions, decisions..."

Hohner Jack (potentially doomed to be defretted - I need a second one)
Gibson RD artist (defretted)
Peter Cook Custom
Squier Jazz

I have a major dilema at the moment - work is very quiet... I have two amps - a wrecked '68 Marshall (pending major rebuild costs) and a '70 Hiwatt (pending minor repairs) - I need to get a reliable back-up rig, so it looks like the Marshall's gotta go... :sad: again, a set of two items...

Re Eric's "Err... I'll get my coat..." - try and think of one of those moments when you really wish you hadn't said or done what you'ld just said or done... you know, when you wish the floor would open up and swallow you...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »

I think Al's question bears a little redress............

Could I have (too many basses) ?

No.......................  ;)

I love basses, if I could afford a larger collection I would unhesitatily continue buying them.

I still need an RD.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 01:01:08 PM »
You wouldn't want mine... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »
Mark having only ever seen pics of you with a T-bird I have a very hard time imagining you with an RD.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »
I'm a Gemini, too.

Perhaps that explains some things.

My wife says that when she married me, the one thing she was confident about was that life wouldn't be boring.  She says that so far, I've made good on that expectation.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »
Just had a read through this lot. . . . . . .

STREWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

There's some tasty stuff there!!

I think on sheer numbers, Uwe wins - We are not worthy!! :)

There is, however, one small question . . . . . How many have
you gigged, recorded or rehearsed with?
I have a hell of a job deciding what to take out - with your lot,
if you gigged every week of the year, except Christmas week - you
would need a break, taking a different bass to every gig, it would take
over three years!!!!!!!!!! ???

Answers on a post card! ;D

Cheers. :)

Now a little more wiser. . . . .

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:42 AM »
I am a Gemini also. Maybe that explains my compulsion to collect Gibson guitar and bass twins....  :o
The mating guitar is usually the more expensive of the two. I still need the Thunderbird / Firebird combo, that will cost me plenty for not getting them ten years ago.............  :sad:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!