Author Topic: 1st build - hybrid  (Read 9970 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: 1st build - hybrid
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »
I haven't put any strap buttons on yet because I want to give the sides another shot of Poly, but from all indications of how it sits in my lap, it's gonna dive.

Edit:  I put strap buttons on. I moved the back button up towards the E string, and the balance isn't too bad.
Doesn't dive nearly as bad as I thought it would and with a wider strap, it'll be alright.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:57:33 PM by ack1961 »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
Dat's the coolist baby !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 12:47:36 AM »
Nice, how does the mudbucker sound in that position?

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »
It's not as hot as the Telebass HB, but it's surprisingly brighter than I was expecting.
Solo'd, it's pretty snarly and even with the original .33uF cap it's got a pretty good range.

Where I really like this bass is both pickups on and about 40% rolled off the tone knob.
I'll try to post some sound clips.

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »
Oh yes please post some clips. I thought mudbuckers where much hotter than 7ender buckers...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2010, 12:55:56 PM »
It's not as hot as the Telebass HB, but it's surprisingly brighter than I was expecting.
Solo'd, it's pretty snarly and even with the original .33uF cap it's got a pretty good range.

The output of each pickup is about the same. The mudbucker has a stronger fundamental and fewer mids and highs but you have it in the bridge position which picks up less string movement and less fundamental. So it doesn't sound as hot. The Tele Bass HB has a very loud midrange which comes across as hot in either position.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
The output of each pickup is about the same. The mudbucker has a stronger fundamental and fewer mids and highs but you have it in the bridge position which picks up less string movement and less fundamental. So it doesn't sound as hot. The Tele Bass HB has a very loud midrange which comes across as hot in either position.

Thanks, Dave.
Can you explain the difference between a "fundamental" and "midrange" to a layman?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »
By fundamental I mean the fundamental frequency of a note, also called the first harmonic. Low end is generally considered the fundamental and lower harmonics (multiples of the fundamental frequency), highs are the upper harmonics, midrange is what's in between.

The Gibson mudbucker was designed for "pipe organ lows", as Bill Lawrence put it, without much regard for mids and highs. The closer a pickup is to the bridge, the less the string movement over the pickup, and as a result, it doesn't pick up as many lower frequencies, which is why any pickup sounds brighter in the bridge position. With the Gibson, its power comes from those lows, so in the bridge position it won't be as strong sounding because its mids and highs aren't that strong. Hope that makes some sense.

Sometime you might also want to look up Fletcher-Munson curves.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2010, 06:47:26 AM »
By fundamental I mean the fundamental frequency of a note, also called the first harmonic. Low end is generally considered the fundamental and lower harmonics (multiples of the fundamental frequency), highs are the upper harmonics, midrange is what's in between.

The Gibson mudbucker was designed for "pipe organ lows", as Bill Lawrence put it, without much regard for mids and highs. The closer a pickup is to the bridge, the less the string movement over the pickup, and as a result, it doesn't pick up as many lower frequencies, which is why any pickup sounds brighter in the bridge position. With the Gibson, its power comes from those lows, so in the bridge position it won't be as strong sounding because its mids and highs aren't that strong. Hope that makes some sense.

Sometime you might also want to look up Fletcher-Munson curves.

That was a great explanation, thanks. 
The electronics portion of this build was very interesting, although I really just slapped it together.
I'm going to read more material so I can make more educated decisions on the electronics for my 2nd build.
Thanks again.
Steve

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »
Thinking of something a little different for the headstock logo for "AckBass":

or something like this on the headstock:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:50:37 AM by ack1961 »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
LOVE IT!!!

Bill is my hero.    :-*
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
Bill is so cool. I love it...it's purrfect.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
Definitely like the cat...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »
Very cool, it's the "cat's meow!"
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 08:04:37 AM »
Go with Bill!  I assume that's where the "Ack" moniker came from?