Author Topic: Another (alleged!) move  (Read 13116 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Another move
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 05:33:17 PM »
Is there any other kind...? Genuine bottled for Tesco's brand, too, Bluey... (Strewth...! some folks...) :mrgreen:

OK firstly you poms need to learn that just like falling down with a pint of beer without spilling it is a required skill in both our countries, spilling or in this case spraying (ie wasting) good wine is simply unacceptable. More practice is what I prescribe sir Kenny.

While on the subject of Tesco Reds it might interest you to know that due to the wine glut here the quality of the wine being sold to be rebranded has gone from what you would expect from a $5-10 bottle of wine to (in some cases) up to  $25-30. I know this because a lot of the Adelaide Hills and Barossa growers who would normally sell their wine under their own label have been selling it in bulk to large companies like Tesco just so they can be guaranteed a set payment for a given vintage. This has become more important to them than trying to get better prices but risking having a warehouse full of higher rated labeled wine in an over competitive market. Interesting times. I cannot begin to describe the quality/price that we are getting here as cleanskins (unlabeled bottles of wine). Fantastic in some respects but not good in others.

Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 07:09:44 PM »
Wine is OK on the rare occasion when I'm in the mood for it (usually with food), but most of the time it's a second choice to a good Microbrew.

Fortunately, I live in the town called "The Napa Valley of beer".....

http://visit.ftcollins.com/visiting/
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
Wow that looks like a really beautiful town Al. Right next to the hills and with plenty of water and very picturesque. Colorado is definitely one of the places in the US that I would love to have a look at.

And dont get me wrong, I love a good quality micro-brew myself. Its just that living here is what I would imagine living in the Nappa would be like in the sense that wine is so prominent that its virtually impossible to ignore. We have just grown up with it as normal. Actually Knappstein wines in Clare and Saltram wines in the Barossa make two of the best beers I have ever tasted, not to mention their wines of course.  :)
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 05:10:27 AM »
Dave, we want a pic of you (and the dog) before the house, preferably doing some typical suburban chore (lawn-mowing, throwing sticks for the dog, admonishing the neighbors' kids that no ball playing of any shape or form, much less adolescent sex is allowed on the Westheimer premises). Otherwise it doesn't exist and you're still in New Braunfels!!!

Anybody can claim that he moved to Minnesota, in line with this forum's high scientific standards we need palpable proof. Get that camera out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:02:38 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Another (alleged!) move
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:19 AM »
I'll try to remember to do that Wednesday when a friend is coming over to visit and help me with some things. Or I could use the self-timer then rush to get the dog and the lawnmower in the pic.  :P

Electrician should be here any minute for the service upgrade, power will be off longer than my laptop battery will last.

In the meantime, here's another Elkhound doing a garden chore.  ;)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
At least you dont have a lazy cat!

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 12:16:36 PM »
Sorry to see ya go Dave.  I was hoping we could hang out at Bass Emporium one day when you were in Austin.  You are right about Austin.  I'll have been here 29 years this November and there are a bunch of places I miss.  Club Foot, City Coliseum, Palmer Auditorium, Cannibal Club, Beans, Workhorse Guitars, One World Music, Treasure Tracks Records, Steamboat, Westgate Mall, The Backroom, Aquafest, and the list goes on and on.......

You miss Westgate Mall? I used to live right across the street from it and never went there!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »
Anybody can claim that he moved to Minnesota, in line with this forum's high scientific standards we need palpable proof. Get that camera out.

I can vouch for the fact that Dave moved here (Minnesota). I live less than 10 miles from where he now resides. Although I have not seen him in person, he knows too much about the area to be a Texan!
My dream retirement job has always been to get three gold teeth & be a Walmart greeter. Hope I raise the bar a bit in the next ten years.  ;D
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 01:48:04 PM »
Well that's disappointing, I've met Dave but had no idea he was a "foreigner".
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Hornisse

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
You miss Westgate Mall? I used to live right across the street from it and never went there!

There was a very cool record store at the Mall as well as a nice Ice Cream stand.  The old video arcade was cool too. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »
Although I have not seen him in person, he knows too much about the area to be a Texan!

Could be a sleeper... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »
After all they always said that the South would rise again. Who knows what he is doing up there ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 05:55:26 PM »
The south did rise again, Walmart took over the entire country. Maybe Dave was a spy for the north, retired & came back home!  :-\
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
Not the best day to have my electrical service upgraded: got up to 89 F, near tropical humidity and no breeze. No power for seven hours. But I can't put in A/C without it. I'm bushed. Two months until cooler weather!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
Find the biggest de-humidifier around and blast with ceiling fans.

Or if the AC will be in tomorrow, hopefully you'll be cooled....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."