Author Topic: BluesHawk Bass  (Read 27360 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: BluesHawk Bass
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
I gotta say I think a rosewood board on a 30" mahog neck would be great on this bass.  I would be concerned about the neck heaviness of a long scale neck if the body is a bit on the light side.  I'm really liking the blue as well.  I'm thinking about ordering a set of plans for myself!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 05:00:53 AM »
I bought a chunk of poplar and it's surprisingly heavy! Not as light as you would have imagined. I also bought some slightly figured Hard maple that the lumber yard cut in half for free so I can have a book-matched Top!

I was looking not an overly figured, flame/curl piece as I like a more subtle look.

Got the Big D varitone yesterday and it appears he is using a different source for capacitors. I will have to send the pickups to Fralin so he can reverse the polarity on one and demagnetize the Dummy pup.

The poplar is kind of green. It's a single piece. Dave you said that blue dye does not turn out well with greenish poplar?

I could do transparent blue nitro, but I really like the look of a dyed top the way the grain pops. On the original it looks like Blue transparent Nitro instead of dyed, by the way the grain is somewhat hidden?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35:50 AM »
try some 2 part wood bleach to see if it lightens the green of the poplar. you could try a wash coat on a finish sanded surface( thinned) of flat white, wipe it off so the grain shows thru .  400 grit the raised grain  then try the blue dye.
Ive done this on maple and birch for a pickled wood look. shows the  natural grain. I can send a pic on maple if you like. The main look for your Blueshawk is the top, which should show the blue fine.Mike
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 08:57:06 AM »
I bought a chunk of poplar and it's surprisingly heavy! Not as light as you would have imagined.

It's typically about the same weight as alder, about the same stiffness but a little softer in surface hardness.

The poplar is kind of green. It's a single piece. Dave you said that blue dye does not turn out well with greenish poplar?

I've never tried dyeing or staining it, just painting it.

Poplar has a reputation for not staining well, but dyeing seems to be preferred and darker seems to work better. I don't know about blue, though. Do you really want to stain or dye two different woods the same color? There's probably a good reason Gibson usually doesn't match the tops and backs of LPs.

Here is a thread from Woodnet that might give you some ideas of what other people have done. If you want to keep the information, save it to your hard drive because all threads there expire after one year.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 09:12:37 AM »
back & front of a Gibson Blueshawk

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 09:28:09 AM »
Well, then, go for it. The reason I mentioned it is because it's usually difficult to get an exact color match with two different woods.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
I suspect Gibson Used Transparent blue instead of Dying it. The grain seems to be pretty flat when Compared to Dyed Blue tops. But maybe that is why the top & back are consistent?

I read that you dye the wood with water based, then sand it back and dye it again, to pop the grain. The seal & clear coat.
I would think the detail gets lost with multiple coats of transparent blue?
The transparent Blue I bet looks better for the poplar. Also notice how similar the mahogany neck & poplar body appear. A larger picture would be nice.

There is a difference in the quality of top woods from Gibson to a PRS!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 11:43:10 AM »
Looks like Gibson did not trust poplar for adjustable screws, notice the metal thread inserts in the body under the pickup.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 01:54:53 PM »
I like the threaded inserts. Its better quality,IMHO. Prs 10 tops are  beautiful, but you were doing less figure in your maple  which I totally understand. PRS vs.gibby very different finish process I believe. I wish I had a piece of poplar around to try the white wash i spoke of earlier. Im curious for myself now.   i think a friend sent me the Blueshawk drawings some years ago.Do you know if they ship in a tube? It would be easier for me to  find. I gotta finish  painting my family room or Ill be out in the rain , if you know what i mean....Im checkin on the plans.. BTW I have 3 gibson head overlays(plastic?) w/ gibby  name cut out no MOP. I was gonna use a  white concoction of some sort when I get to it. If you want one ,Id be happy to send u one.M

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 02:22:38 PM »
thanks!

Well laying things out the long scale neck is only about 1/2" or so longer than the short scale 30" !

I was shocked. they are very close to the same overall length.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:31:31 PM by Barklessdog »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »
short scale Layout pups & bridge

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »
ripper bridge layout actually gives me more room  for the pups due to the Kahler mounted closer to the end- still have about an inch left

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »
crazy short scale volute- I could take it down a bit- kind of a chunky little neck, but kind of cool too.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 02:30:22 PM »
Book matched top I just glued. I had the wood place sand both the poplar & top to size- they charged me $8.00

Cost of the wood - $ 40 + the $8.00 sanding.

They have huge pieces of Genuine mahogany, poplar, purple heart & bubinga like 10' x 4' x 2"

Not really highly figure but nice just the same has a bit of curly & flame throughout with out being crazy tiger like- they split the board to book match it for free!

great wood place!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:35:41 PM by Barklessdog »

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »
As tempted as i am to say go Mahog, Id save it for another funky project.  maybe a travel  fenderbird! what am i saying. ...... I really want to make a ripper/G3 clone like the one done by another member in gibby red, but you really got me thinkin about the BHawk. i love the  semi hollow belly . I miss my  alan woody , believe it or not. The thought of a  full scale , semi hollow gibby  keeps me awake at night . Im also restoring a guild Starfire at the moment so Im up to my ears, sort o speak. the 2(or 3,I loose track) semi's that Dr. Bassman  is workin on are an inspiration for all of us .
what ever you decide Im sure it will be awesome. While Im lookin for the Blueshawk plans, I hope I find some poplar so I can test the surface and report by week end.
my daughter called from Boston , she is at sox/yankees game , 4 rows  behind dugout. I did something good as a parent. she is a pissah!!!!!