Author Topic: BluesHawk Bass  (Read 27357 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: BluesHawk Bass
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
I think I am going to have to build it myself, as it looks. He was just too unenthusiastic about it.

Found a away to do the blue color without having to use binding.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing/Colors,_stains/a-blueguitar_2.html

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
I agree with shadowcastaz that poplar takes paint exceptionally well. But it's not easy to get it to stain evenly because of the greenish striping it often has. Are you talking about a stained maple top and a painted back?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 04:43:46 PM »
I was thinking staining the whole thing as I also found out the guy who painted my Fenderbird is no longer doing jobs for people.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
I'm no expert, but the Guild M-85 and Epiphone Rumblekat seem to handle pretty well.  I would think that using ultralite tuners would help the balance.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
BluesHawk Ripper & G-3

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »
I have some clear blue that reranch sells. I have not used it on a project but it looks great on their site.
 as far as small body and  long scale neck dive, I have a genesis epi bass that  is pretty balanced and the body is about 2/3 of a ripper in  size, but it is thick

the allan woody  balanced fine
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »
How is that Genesis bass?  I've made a play for a couple of them over the past year, but had other priorities, and didn't feel like going that high on bidding.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 04:44:19 AM »
I also have an old no name short scale Fender Style Mahogany Bolt on neck from a bass project from college.

If I used that with the scratch built body it would be almost spot on with the guitar wood construction wise, then I could do something else with the Ripper.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
Yeah I picked it up a few years back right after I got my  Black ripper.Uwe wisely named them Jeckle & Hyde. i have not played it in a while,Its quite a plank. coil tap I believe. Time to get reaquainted ;D

Barkless, you planning a short or long scale, I forget ???

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
Here are my two choices- I have decided that I'm going to make a body and use one of these two necks.

Choice one - Long Scale Ripper neck-Looks more Gibson like but is different wood (maple) than a Blueshawk guitar and will most likely be pretty neck heavy?

Choice two - I have this old mahogany short scale 30" scale bolt on neck with a maple fingerboard, the downside is it's a Fender style headstock with string tree. I cut the Fender part off so its kind of a hockey stick affair right now. I could add to it and make it more Tbird or victory like, but still is different from the Blueshawk guitar. Right now it is a bolt on, but I would route away material from the heel and make it a set neck. It's also surprisingly a wide & chubby little neck, 1 5/8" at the nut and a thick volute between the headstock & nut. Intersting little neck though, It's virtually mint, from the early 80's

I have the Kahler much to everyones delight, but also have a Fenderish short scale bridge that came with the bass the neck came from.

I wish we could do polls here

What do you guys think would be better?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:59:00 AM by Barklessdog »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 08:29:40 AM »
I vote to go with the long scale neck.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 01:43:35 PM »
I vote long scale neck, cream pup bindings, no whammy bar. Sa=weeet!

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 02:13:06 PM »
I think the short scale headstock looks way cooler, and maple necks are gross to me. Use the trem too.
Half-speed Hawkwind

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 02:13:24 PM »
I like mahog ,But.... It would do the brand justice to make it long scale. You could do 2 bodies and  set it up both ways. Cant be that much more work.  ::)I like the cream binding etc. It would look great!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »
You could do 2 bodies and set it up both ways. Cant be that much more work.

Yeah, I can make all screw ups on first one, then throw it away!

A lot will depend on when I get the blue prints and lay it out. I have to use the Kahler, it's a Barkless Dog thing (like a dog that licks his arse all night long!). I am going to need the extra room behind the bridge saddles for a Kahler. The BluesHawk Body is one inch shorter than the LP so to make it long scale I might have to make the body a little bigger.

I absolutely love the Ripper's neck, but a Mahogany short scale set neck is very Gibson (not in looks) as well and more in keeping with the guitar's construction, but it's a wide little chunky guy, almost RD/P bass like.

Laying it out should help determine the outcome.