Author Topic: RB Series, Anyone Got one?  (Read 1415 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
RB Series, Anyone Got one?
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »
I don't own many Fenders but these should do :)

I think there was a run of ten for the 1993 RB Series, if I recall from the neckplates...and they were all Jazz Bass bodies with figured wood and very figured necks with pao ferro fingerboards, no?

Well, oddly enough, the Prototype to the RB Series was actually done on a PBass Body!! Same Jazz profile neck with a pao ferro fingerboard though.

Burgundy Mist with a matching headstock....MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Possibly my favorite Fender color ever.

It actually has the designer of the RB Series' (Rich Briere) personal Fender SN# on the rear that all his one-offs had.

I've had this since around 2004. I happened to know Rich and he was selling off a lot of his rare personal Fender gear during a divorce at the time. We're also both big vintage SUNN fans as well.

Oh....and since Phil Kubicki was a longtime Fender employee, here are my Kubicki PBasses (Jazz profile necks) as well. The natural one laying down I sold to a former Ozzy bassist who just had to have it last year. It had a gorgeous Kubicki made PBass profile neck; bound ebony 'board and crazy birdseye figuring. The rest of the parts were late 70s Fender but a P/J PUP setup with two stacked pots for vol/pan/treble/bass and a 3 position toggle PUP selector, plus a Badass Bridge. Rod Schoepffer of Rod's Place 48th Street, NYC fame did the original build. One of his earlier customs but his name was on the headstock. He later designed for Kramer, famous players and other brands before passing away years ago. I was temped to hang onto it but M.I. really wanted it, so I caved. The nitro was crazy checked all over...very nice vibe to the bass. Was my "go to" practice bass in the living room for six months before I let it go.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:16:42 AM by mc2NY »

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: RB Series, Anyone Got one?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:07 AM »

Well, oddly enough, the Prototype to the RB Series was actually done on a PBass Body!! Same Jazz profile neck with a pao ferro fingerboard though.

Burgundy Mist Metallic with a matching headstock....MMMMMMMMMMMMM. Possibly my favorite Fender color ever.

That is beautiful. I don't care much for gold hardware but it just looks right with the Burgandy Mist.

rich briere

• "Do Unto Others"
    • View Profile
    • Rich Briere
Re: RB Series, Anyone Got one?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
I'm always grateful when I get questions on the RB Classic stuff. That P-bass with the Jazz-spec Neck is, to the best of my knowledge, a one of a kind and I planned on keeping it for myself. Once I reached 50 basses, I began keeping just those I used most often.....and a Burgundy Mist Relic Jazz took it's place. :)

Bass-ically Yours,
Rich
I've Always Found it Best to Use MY Name on Things I Write...It Cuts Down on the Confusion...... Bass-ically Yours.......RB