Author Topic: 1991 Orville Thunderbird - UK seller - £695 BIN  (Read 6354 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
Re: 1991 Orville Thunderbird - UK seller - £695 BIN
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 01:01:36 PM »
Gibson were unable to use their own Gibson name in Japan and so chose their founders first name as the brand name, and so produced "Orville" and "Orville by Gibson" guitars in Japan. The latter being the superior range using genuine Gibson USA pickups and hardware.

Does anybody here know about the Orville name? Were Gibson really unable to use Gibson? and if so why not?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
I would assume they chose not to use the Gibson name to differentiate the Japanese from the American made Gibsons. Are there any Gibson branded guitars that are not made in America?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:20:41 PM by the mojo hobo »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »
I would assume they chose not to use the Gibson name to differentiate the Japanese from the American made Gibsons. Are there any Gibson branded guitars that are not made in America?

Bingo! They would not put the Gibson brand name on products made in Japan. There was nothing to legally prevent them from using it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
Blurb from the seller...

"It would have been made about 19 years ago ( serial  G01xxxx = July 1991) by Fujigen-Gakki as a Japanese made Gibson for the Japanese home market. Gibson were unable to use their own Gibson name in Japan and so chose their founders first name as the brand name, and so produced "Orville" and "Orville by Gibson" guitars in Japan. The latter being the superior range using genuine Gibson USA pickups and hardware."

I think Dave summed it up suitably unless someone knows differently...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »

It's certainly one of the better Thunderbirds one could buy, regardless of price.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »
In case anyone's interested, notwithstanding the TRC, that one's an Orville 'by' Gibson.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 04:56:53 AM »
I would have then thought they would just use Epiphone....

Funkster

• View Profile
    • JFHProductions
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:03:11 AM »
That's a sweetie,, I have a 89 Orville T-Bird and it Rock's!! Stomps all over my buds bran new USA Gibby..
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it. 
http://www.jfhproductions.net/
Henry

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:02:44 AM »
I would have then thought they would just use Epiphone....

That's what mine is.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 08:14:22 AM »
That's what mine is.

At some point in the 90's Gibson retired the Orville name in Japan and started using Epi. There's a difference though from the Epiphones the rest of the world gets (which were made in Korea and then Indonesia and elsewhere). The Epi Japan models were made just for the Japanese market. I had the same kind of bird Denis has and it was the same bass as the regular Orville bird. The Orville 'by' Gibson was the upgraded model, but they're both nice birds.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
At some point in the 90's Gibson retired the Orville name in Japan and started using Epi. There's a difference though from the Epiphones the rest of the world gets (which were made in Korea and then Indonesia and elsewhere). The Epi Japan models were made just for the Japanese market. I had the same kind of bird Denis has and it was the same bass as the regular Orville bird. The Orville 'by' Gibson was the upgraded model, but they're both nice birds.

Any idea what the upgrades were for the upper tier Orville over the regular Orville or Epi? The history and evolution of T-birds is fascinating!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 11:45:56 AM »

Mine's a bit different having chrome hardware instead of nickel. Also a custom 2 point and paint job.........  Courtesy of Curt (DC10Bass). I played this bass for 1 1/2 hours at rehearsal the other night - very nice! a bit tighter than a Gibson due to the set neck, and the pups had a nice, somewhat modern growl about them.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Any idea what the upgrades were for the upper tier Orville over the regular Orville or Epi? The history and evolution of T-birds is fascinating!

U.S. pickups and (I think) hardware. They also came without pickup rings.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »

Chrome covers aside, the pups on mine look very contemporary Gibson, dual coil.