Author Topic: What's your favorite bass overdrive / fuzz?  (Read 16803 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: What's your favorite bass overdrive / fuzz?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 05:00:50 AM »
Hmm, OK. Mine doesn't seem to need to be on full to get distortion.  Depending on what tubes I use it starts to come in when I turn up the Drive knob to about 2 o'clock.
Digresion our specialty!

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 06:01:22 AM »
Hmm, OK. Mine doesn't seem to need to be on full to get distortion.  Depending on what tubes I use it starts to come in when I turn up the Drive knob to about 2 o'clock.

Sorry, I meant with "real" amps :)

This unit was so designed that the power amp breakup is much sooner (it is just an 8W amp.......). Would love the addition of a phase inverter for some more "real" and mellower overdrive......

(which is impossibe as the only reason this baby sounds so good is the phase inverter stage)
Full one pelvic bass shaggin'

Technophobia; pedals and more

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 07:08:12 AM »
Ahh OK gotcha now   :)
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
Well, the SD-2 has come in and I've finally had a chance to play with it for a few minutes.  So far I'm liking what I hear, although it is AGGRESSIVE!  Dang, even on minimum settings this thing sounds off.  It doesn't seem to have a tone-suck problem (although that's from minimal experience) and I'm thinking it may replace my ODB-3.  I'll bet it would cut through pretty darn well...and that's what I really want.  Seems like most distortion units end up sinking the bass into the sound and leaving no note definition at all...I think MAYBE this one can avoid that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »
I mostly use the Crunch setting but that has a very annoying high pass filter on it; I modded mine to become a BasScreamer (tubescreamer for bass) and that is, to me, ideal for this channel!

The other channel I use mainly with both pickups (on a 2 pickup bass) wide open. It needs the bite of the bridge but also needs the bass of the neck. But yes, the Lead is gainy!

I like the crunch so much that I sometimes use it without a clean blend box :) and that is something weird for me!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
I mostly use the Crunch setting but that has a very annoying high pass filter on it; I modded mine to become a BasScreamer (tubescreamer for bass) and that is, to me, ideal for this channel!

So - just in case - what did you do to modify it? I'm curious....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bernardduur

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »
So - just in case - what did you do to modify it? I'm curious....

Mod A; more clarity;
Replace C34 / C13 / C9 / C18 / C43 and C22 with it's better quality replacements

Mod B; tubescreamer:

- Remove C36, C46, C47 and R49; replace this with an 1 uF NP cap (the start of C36 and the end of C46 are so close you can fit in a cap quite easily)
- Replace D4 with a silicon diode
- Replace D6 + D7 with one 1N400X diode
- Replace C28 with a 220 nF cap
- Replace R37 with a 4.7k resistor and run one end to Vref (which is on one side of R51; close. You can use the leftover traces of D6 / D7 to overcome the small distance without short circuiting
- Replace C12 with a 1 uF NP cap

PLAY!!

For guitar I would recommend the change of C28 to 100 nF

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2008, 05:03:11 PM »
Thanks!   Maybe I'll take a look inside and see if I can identify the parts referenced...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 06:52:18 AM »
Well, the SD-2 has come in and I've finally had a chance to play with it for a few minutes.  So far I'm liking what I hear, although it is AGGRESSIVE!  Dang, even on minimum settings this thing sounds off.  It doesn't seem to have a tone-suck problem (although that's from minimal experience) and I'm thinking it may replace my ODB-3.  I'll bet it would cut through pretty darn well...and that's what I really want.  Seems like most distortion units end up sinking the bass into the sound and leaving no note definition at all...I think MAYBE this one can avoid that.

It most definately does - that's what I like about it.  I find the lead setting allows for more distortion while retaining that note definition - though it is gainy as Bernardduur m,entioned (but that's what the individual channel output level knobs are for).  The crunch setting I only like if the drive isn't set too high on it (Like 1/3 or less).  Otherwise it getts a little too loose and fuzzy - especially with the low end on my Gibsons.  Another cool thing to try, a bit over the top though, is the dual setting - the pefdal can run the signal through BOTH channels.  If they're set up as I described (crunch not driven hard, lead driven hard but with level down) it can be some pretty rich and creamy distortion you get - especially if you put that signal into a tube amp.

(mine's not modded at all).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
Yup, the SD-2 is going to replace my ODB-3.  As you say, the Lead channel seems to retain note definition while giving a wild distortion.  Dang, I have the effect on minimum and it's still sounding like a chainsaw on speed!!!  I also find that it's sensitive to dynamics - give a note extra impact and it really responds.

I won't get a chance to rehearse with the band until the 22nd, but I'm looking forward to it.  I may raise some eyebrows.  I even got the extra footswitch (Ebay) so I can switch between Lead and Crunch if needed.

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2008, 06:53:30 AM »
Because I like bringing other peoples opinions to the table...

Saw this in my email from Bass Player Magazine:
http://www.bassplayer.com/article/overdrives/dec-06/24670

A whole article with a comparison of some Overdrives & Fuzzs.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 04:13:02 PM »
Got a chance to use the SD-2 in practice last night....and I'm still liking it.  I played my new Epi EB-3 through it, and found out that there's s BIG difference in sound if I solo the bridge pickup through that SD-2.  There's still a little loss of note definition, but setting the effect with a bump in gain seems to counteract that.

thijs

• Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • TresHombres
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
The best thing to me is the Xotic Bass BB pre-amp. This thing boosts and drive's like hell... and it's got perfect eq.