Author Topic: What's your favorite bass overdrive / fuzz?  (Read 16801 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: What's your favorite bass overdrive / fuzz?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 06:15:19 AM »
It's hard to Google B:ass Master. Who's the manufacturer? A direct link maybe?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 06:52:33 AM »
http://www.malekkoheavyindustry.com/

Note that the "B:" isn't really part of the name.  :D

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 04:34:27 PM »
I've got the B:assmaster. The thing about the Ed Friedland video is that he just has the gain cranked, but to get the octave effect, you have to set the gain to just the right point, then the higher octave jumps out. The Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz sounds almost the same. It's like the Octavia that Hendrix used. It also helps to turn the tone down and use the neck pickup. Here's a clip of the Black Cat version: (Melody Maker bass for the solo, Fender Mustang reissue doing the bass part). I can't say that this is the way it's "supposed" to be used, but, well, I think this is the way it's supposed to be used. Here's a clip of the Barker: - this one is three tracks of Guild Starfire I, one clean, two through the B:assmaster. It's kind of a weird sound - brassy actually describes it pretty well, which makes sense of the "brassmaster" name. But to get the octave, you are basically on the edge of the sound petering out too.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »
I love my Black Big Muff

But everyone at Talkbass raves about the B:ass Master.

Ed Friedland did a review on Youtube somewhere
  I use a soviet Black big muff for live and recording, I love it. I have a reissue  USA big Muff at the rehersal studio that I don't really care for. I also have a Goya tone tube distortion but it has to many knobs and the words on the controls make no sense to me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 06:35:43 AM »
I've got the B:assmaster. The thing about the Ed Friedland video is that he just has the gain cranked, but to get the octave effect, you have to set the gain to just the right point, then the higher octave jumps out. The Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz sounds almost the same. It's like the Octavia that Hendrix used. It also helps to turn the tone down and use the neck pickup. Here's a clip of the Black Cat version: (Melody Maker bass for the solo, Fender Mustang reissue doing the bass part). I can't say that this is the way it's "supposed" to be used, but, well, I think this is the way it's supposed to be used. Here's a clip of the Barker: - this one is three tracks of Guild Starfire I, one clean, two through the B:assmaster. It's kind of a weird sound - brassy actually describes it pretty well, which makes sense of the "brassmaster" name. But to get the octave, you are basically on the edge of the sound petering out too.

Are you saying you like the Black cat better?

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 10:54:41 AM »
Are you saying you like the Black cat better?
No sorry, I should have been more clear - so far, to my ears, they sound almost identical. Pretty much anything I said about the B:assmaster goes for the Black Cat BOF and vice versa. I like both for what they do, but I don't use them as traditional fuzzes, I use them for the octave up effect.

And I forgot to mention, that effect is really only noticeable from around the 10th fret up.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 03:01:14 AM »
The B:assmaster sure looks nice!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
Much less than what the original Maestro would fetch!

I'm amazed at what some of these old pedals go for now-a-days.  The nice thing about a new one is that the semi-conductor components probably have a better signal-to-noise ratio, and you don't have to worry about replacing old dried out capacitors, cleaning pots, etc...  to get it in top form again.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 12:25:21 PM »
My Technophobia BasScreamer Deluxe has finally arrived. I've used it a couple of times at rehearsal and I can say it's a keeper.
With the clean blend you don't lose any low end like you would with other "normal" overdrive pedals.
I use it to give the Orange AD200 a little of the "sweet drive" that an Ampeg V4B has when you push it a little.

Plus the extra boost option comes in handy when you need to push the sound over the edge for a wild fuzzy part in a song.

nofi

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
in the pursuit of tonal and spiritual purity i use no effects. ;)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 09:58:56 PM »
in the pursuit of tonal and spiritual purity i use no effects. ;)

Same. Well the tonal part at least.

However I recently bought an SWR IOD preamp which uses 2 EL84 tubes to blend in output stage style overdrive.
Still getting used to it but getting some pretty cool tone happening so far.
Digresion our specialty!

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 02:05:15 PM »
My Technophobia BasScreamer Deluxe has finally arrived. I've used it a couple of times at rehearsal and I can say it's a keeper.
With the clean blend you don't lose any low end like you would with other "normal" overdrive pedals.
I use it to give the Orange AD200 a little of the "sweet drive" that an Ampeg V4B has when you push it a little.

Plus the extra boost option comes in handy when you need to push the sound over the edge for a wild fuzzy part in a song.

I'm still waiting for one. Good too hear they are worth the wait. :)
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »
I started using a 1960's Univox SuperFuzz, which is one of the "holy grail" fuzz pedals that now brings silly money on Ebay.  Problem was that although I liked the sound solo, when I used it in a mix all the note definition disappeared. I simply could NOT tone it down enough so that i had any definition to the notes at all. The bass just turned into "woof, woof" in the background.  I never have come up with an adjustment that I like when playing in a mix.

Here 'tis:

And yes, I still have it. I'm just not using it at present.

I replaced it with a Boss ODB-3, and with the blend control on that pedal, it's working out pretty darn well.  The adjustments are touchy, but once I got it set up right, this pedal is working for me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
I have the boss overdrive as well. It is a nice low noise pedal. I used to have an MXR Distortion that was nice, that was given to me. It died a long time ago.