Author Topic: gibson lp bass on bay  (Read 1419 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: gibson lp bass on bay
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »
An early one wizz ze evil twö-pöint. Moreover, one of ze clümsy pre-owners once yanked out the plug. With the control plate attached of course.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
Nicely roadworn...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 09:54:46 AM »
It always worries me when the do not have the rear headstock  / neck shot

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
It always worries me when the do not have the rear headstock  / neck shot

Agreed. If he's gone to the trouble to take 6 pics, why not in the most critical area for a mahogany necked Gibson? And he's silent about it in the auction text. Is he intending the "wear and tear" phrase to cover a headstock/neck break?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Agreed. If he's gone to the trouble to take 6 pics, why not in the most critical area for a mahogany necked Gibson? And he's silent about it in the auction text. Is he intending the "wear and tear" phrase to cover a headstock/neck break?
I agree. My 1st was a stripped (no electronics) which I put 2 gibby chrome hb's.Nice player, clean ,no breaks. My 2nd is orig w/ a  headstock repair. Once I played it I realized why some players like this bass. Once you dial it in to your rig,a flip of a switch gives you a diff. personality . The second one I stole @ $650.Lookin at one on evil bay, I feel even better.
I really should switch bodies  so the orig guts are on a non broken body.....then I think about all them wires & I get all cold & clammy :mrgreen:

This guy should show a pic of the back of the head.
I too like the mojo.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
I wouldn't even want to see the back of the head.

The body shows a huge crack. It isn't the sandwiched plate in the middle. That would've been a straight and even line. To me it looks a gaint fracture. 

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
The last thing I bought from Cananda, I shipped Fed-Ex & got nailed with huge duty fees. It was a Gibson GA-4RE so it was origionally made in the US. It was tied up in customs, they quoted me a price, after I gave them my credit card number they charged me about double the price I was origionally quoted! It would have to be extremely rare or cheap for me to do that again............... Still don't understand the charges.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
The last thing I bought from Cananda, I shipped Fed-Ex & got nailed with huge duty fees. It was a Gibson GA-4RE so it was origionally made in the US. It was tied up in customs, they quoted me a price, after I gave them my credit card number they charged me about double the price I was origionally quoted! It would have to be extremely rare or cheap for me to do that again............... Still don't understand the charges.

You probably never will, either.  When shipping between Canada and the US, ALWAYS use USPS/Canada Post  - one carries for the other once they cross the border.  FedEx and UPS make phantom charges for processing items in Customs.  Receiving an item in Canada with USPS I can expect to pay my regular HST (13%)  plus they add a 5.00 processing fee.  With FEDEX and UPS, I was hit once with an 88.00 brokerage fee on a 250 item.  The more expensive the item, the worse it will go up. 

That said, I'm not sure of any issues with shipping instruments and the Canada Post/USPS combination.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:57:41 AM »
The seller recomended Canada Post, but I went with Fed-Ex. I think I paid over $70 in fees for a $450 item. Live & learn.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:31:37 AM »
I'll never forget Granny Gremlin's EB bass that the headstock was held on with bondo.