Author Topic: Metallica bassist helps recover Jaco's Bass of Doom  (Read 2089 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Metallica bassist helps recover Jaco's Bass of Doom
« on: May 29, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »

METALLICA's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"Jaco Pastorius has long been regarded as one of, if not the, most influential bass guitarist of all time and as some of you may know, is Robert's [Trujillo, METALLICA bassist] personal hero. So upon overhearing a phone conversation that Jaco's legendary 'Bass of Doom' had resurfaced after being missing for over twenty years, but was tied up in an ugly legal battle, Robert instinctively offered to assist the Pastorius family in its recovery. The happy ending is that the bass is with Robert and the Pastorius family...a true piece of musical history.

"Like so many other musical greats, Jaco Pastorius died young, only 35, but his legacy has lasted the test of time. With his pioneering techniques, charismatic and outrageous stage performances and his unmistakable singular style, Jaco left behind a musical legacy that has continued to inspire and influence ongoing generations worldwide. Through his critically acclaimed self titled solo debut album, his work with break-through fusion/jazz group WEATHER REPORT, whose 'Heavy Weather' album is one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time, and his collaborations with singer/songwriter Joni Mitchell, Jaco's reputation and influence grew to permeate many musical styles and genres.

"The legendary 'Bass of Doom,' nicknamed by Jaco himself, is a 1962 Fender jazz bass that Jaco removed the frets from and refinished the neck with boat epoxy. This customized bass was the only fretless instrument Jaco ever recorded with throughout his career right up until it was stolen from a Manhattan park bench in 1986. Despite repeated attempts from friends and family to locate it, the whereabouts of the famous bass remained unknown until it showed up in early 2006 in a small guitar shop on New York's West Side. Unfortunately the owner of the shop refused to return it to the Pastorius family resulting in protracted legal squabbles. Almost two years passed before Robert was able to jump in and help make it possible for the family to settle out the case and regain control of their father's prized bass.

"When asked about his getting involved, Robert commented, 'I felt a strong sense that it was the right thing to do for Jaco, and the family, whatever it took.'"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140849

I just hope it's not one of the 'road worn' reissues!

Hornisse

Re: Metallica bassist helps recover Jaco's Bass of Doom
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
That was a cool thing for him to do.  The bass is basically rebuilt because Jaco had smashed it into several pieces.  A guy in Florida did the rebuild and it has a top and back of laminate flame maple to hold all the chunks together.  The neck was rebuilt too.  Jaco was happy with the bass but then it was stolen before he passed.  It resurfaced when some guy brought the bass into a NYC shop and they bought it for $400.  I heard they wouldn't even give the bass to Jaco's family.  I guess Trujillo had to lay out some big $$ to get the bass back for them. 

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 02:24:40 AM »
Cool... hopefully alls well that ends well...

Nice to have such an instrument back in the family; a bit like Berry's Tractor...

A big thumbs up for Mr Trujillo...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 03:19:16 AM »
I don't know what the background was, but if that bass wasn't stolen from Jaco, then the shop acquired good legal title to it and was under no compulsion to sell what Jaco had purposefully smashed to even his family. And if the bass was stolen and there was evidence for that, then there was no need to call the Metallica bassist for help.

Don't get me wrong, Robert's intervention was nice, but for the shopowner to wait for the right price to come along perfectly legitimate.

Will now the Fender Custom Shop smash Jazz Basses to smithereens and then reglue them together?

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:31:06 AM »
Your wish is our command... (as long as the price is paid...)  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 06:12:47 AM »

Will now the Fender Custom Shop smash Jazz Basses to smithereens and then reglue them together?

Uwe

Its the only honorable thing to do.
Digresion our specialty!

Hornisse

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
I don't know what the background was, but if that bass wasn't stolen from Jaco, then the shop acquired good legal title to it and was under no compulsion to sell what Jaco had purposefully smashed to even his family.
Uwe

True.  But as the case with most of these Vintage Guitar "experts" (sharks) they new exactly what they had and offered the schmuck $400 for a bass that had a neck plate of 1962 vintage. 

http://www.ricksuchow.com/press-group-233.html

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Laws covering situations like this vary from state to state. Even if Jaco had personally reported it to the police as stolen (and we don't know if he did) it's quite possible that the shop owner had legal title to the bass. So it's nice that this is resolved.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:43:14 PM »
No real pictures of the bass. I assume its the one from Bass Player mag with the flame maple laminate on top of the body? They had a big article about it several years ago.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
Trujillo is AWESOME!

I was just remembering lately that he was given a million bucks when he joined METALLICA before even playing a gig or recording with 'em!!
He can afford to do this favor for Jaco's family.
Wonder who'll be PLAYING it? Is there a Jaco jr.?

I just got a very colorful hat like the one Jaco's wearing in the photo above. :D
Hope to play more like him & Trujillo someday!!
He's Tony Franklin's hero too & Tony is one of my favs!!!!!!
You can really HEAR Jaco's influence on Tony; a lot more so than Trujillo.
Still, nice gesture, Robert! Thumbs up!!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 12:55:10 PM »
there is a jaco jr kind of.....his name is Felix -   fodera player met him a couple years ago at fodera's 25th anniversary.  very laid back calm guy.  must have mom's genepool.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
Felix certainly could play it, but I'm guessing that the family wants it as a remembrance, not as a player.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »
I remember one of Jaco's Jazz Basses (not sure if this one) sitting in the window of "WE Buy Guitars" on 48th St. in NYC in the mid 1980s for sale....think it was in the $3000-4000 range.