Author Topic: Classic rock lost diamonds  (Read 6402 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Classic rock lost diamonds
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »
Rhinoceros  - very little you tube stuff.. mostly from the runion in 2009.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_Hqe5NFl8&feature=related
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »
Rhinoceros?  They're considered one of the original super groups.  There was a really cool article on them in some publication like Atlantic Monthly way back when that went inside the group and what life was like.  Pretty cool for the time.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 01:03:53 PM »
Mark I was thinking the same thing. I've already messaged him and told him about Buffalo. I see he has the Coloured Balls album there.

Also Rob might be interested to see that he has a Mothers Finest album there. I downloaded it and played in my car on the way to work this morning. Its from 1983. At first I thought it was too Disco sounding for me to enjoy but apart from a touch of 80's production ( :puke: ) Its really quite funky. Not as Rock as the other stuff I've heard.

Thanx for the head up on this excellent blog /site

That 1983 album by MF isn't exactly their (mothers) finest hour. I have it on vinyl but never play it.

But the other stuff he's got is great.
I've downloaded their very first album, which I wasn't aware of. Great soulful stuff!! (think young Tina Turner) And I hear some lyrics that showed up in later MF songs.
And I downloaded the self titled album (from 1977) that I always thought was their debut ( I had it on vinyl but I lost it somewhere over the years...)
I also downloaded the "this is not a bootleg", which sounds like a bunch of demo tracks, but still excellent.

The guy also has Sweet'd Buster up for download. A great Dutch band with an excellent bass player called Herman Deinum. This guy is the living proof that bass playing with a pick can be groovy as hell. Do yourself a favour and download the album. You'll love the bass playing!

Going to dig deeper into this site, see what I can find   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:18:51 PM by Basvarken »

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »

The guy also has Sweet'd Buster up for download. A great Dutch band with an excellent bass player called Herman Deinum. This guy is the living proof that bass playing with a pick can be groovy as hell. Do yourself a favour and download the album. You'll love the bass playing!

Going to dig deeper into this site, see what I can find   :thumbsup:

I was going to ask you about these guys. 

As for pick players, Allen Woody convinced me of that years ago ;)  I struggle with a pick and these days even though I do play a couple of songs with one I'm too lazy to practice the technique up to an artfull level.

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 03:23:34 AM »
Presume you meant St Holmes... works with him from time-to-time these days iirc... the most common story from the time was chemical related reasons

To me, the biggest loss was Rob Grange... I know he's not your favourite human being (Uwe on Nugent) but give this a listen... this was a three piece linup prior to his breaking through in '77, recorde in '74 iirc - both the Discreet LPs are stunning lost works, imo... you can find them both on one CD if you keep a search for them but OOP...

Stranglehold with St Holmes singing.... Grange is playing a P here but he was playing a Tele when they played London for this tour... The late Cliff Davies (from If) on a single bass drum kit (went to double on the next tour) and some dual lead work...

I have no issues with Nugent at all as the musical artist he once was. Great guitarist, tasteful too, but lousy bandleader. I have issues with the ultra-rightwing buffoon he has become, he makes current Lynyrd Skynyrd sound like reasonable people which compared to him they certainly are. It's ok to be politically conservative, but please give it some thought.

I have those two early Nuge albums - originally as a double album in the seventies and more recently the CD release. And the Rockpalast gig was nothing but impressive. I also saw Nugent around that time in concert with Widowmaker opening. He was great then and the band hugely impressive. It all went pear-shaped when he started singing. I would have preferred it if Derek St. Holmes would have sung, say, Cat Scratch Fever.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 05:36:27 AM »
Ted was pretty adamant about substance use. 

Has this always been so? Journey to the Center of the Mind seems involved in the psychedelic culture of the day as does Why is a Carrot More Orange Than an Orange, another track from that album. Steve Farmer had to be a tripper.

One of my favorite from Ted:

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
Has this always been so? Journey to the Center of the Mind seems involved in the psychedelic culture of the day as does Why is a Carrot More Orange Than an Orange, another track from that album. Steve Farmer had to be a tripper.

One of my favorite from Ted:

My guess is that once it became Ted Nugent & The Amboy Dukes, he took full control of the band.  BTW - my info comes from his cousin.

Another side comment, the back side of Migration (I think) had "The Inexhaustible Quest for the Cosmic Cabbage", which some of you might hear familiar themes.  That song borrowed from Rites of Spring, and used the same sequence that King Crimson borrowed for "Lark's Tongue In Aspic, Pt. 2"

"Papa's Will" was always my favorite.

nofi

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »
mitch ryder's "Detroit" band. only good for one record,though.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 01:21:48 PM »
Here's a clip that I think fits in well in this thread.
One of Holland's lost rock diamonds:
A song by a Dutch Hardrock band called Teaser.
It's from their self titled album that was released in 1978.
Teaser was the band of Adrian Van Den Berg. A later incarnation of this band became known as VandenBerg.

The lead singer of Teaser was Jos Veldhuizen. His raspy voice could later be heard in a band called Flavium.

I always thought Teaser were Holland's answer to Bad Company.
(Decennia later Adrian Van Den Berg played on Paul Rodgers album Muddy Water Blues)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:51:32 AM by Basvarken »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »
mitch ryder's "Detroit" band. only good for one record,though.

Mitch had a couple of smokin' hot bands. An old buddy of mine,Harry Phillips, was playing keyboards in Detroit . He also played in one or two versions of the Detroit Wheels in the real old days. In the old Detroit Wheels , those guys played some kick ass greaser/soul rock and roll that was some of the best stuff that ever came out of Detroit... IMO 8)
Rick

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 07:07:56 AM »
One of the best, I thought was Billy Squier's band, Piper. Their debut is still a fave of mine - a combination of Stones-y rock and Raspberries power pop (they even covered "The Last Time"). Saw them opening for Angel - great band!
No vids on the Tube, but a couple of audio entries...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLiSQIYQ0nU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV4bRPHUqXo&feature=related
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 12:44:34 AM »
Any mention of Billy Squeer here cannot go without a renewed glimpse at this masculinity-enhanced vid:

Très cute!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:57 AM »
Any mention of Billy Squeer here cannot go without a renewed glimpse at this masculinity-enhanced vid:

Très cute!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

...and by his own admission, a career-killer.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »
Because he was gay and could not live up to it or because he was straight yet saw himself saddled with the image?  ???

When Halford came out, it didn't hurt his career. Leaving Judas Priest did (and hurt theirs). And heavy metal is much more straight-macho than AOR hard rock ever was. Handled properly, I doubt it has to be such a career killer, even back then. You can credibly sing love and sex songs without using the words "she" or "her". Steadfastly straight people buy Elton John CDs without giving a damn.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 05:42:13 AM »
Since we're listing rock diamonds, I thought this one would be appropriate.