Author Topic: Classic rock lost diamonds  (Read 6401 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Classic rock lost diamonds
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 05:51:21 AM »
Maybe with Billy Squier it was more that the song and video sucked? I seem to remember it getting regular rotation on MTV and the radio but I've never cared for it. It is a cheesy video, but no worse than a ton of others that came out in that same time.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 08:15:44 AM »
I love that Squire video.  :D Pretty bad by ANY standards. Definitely cause for career death. Halford may be gay, but he never did any of THAT in a Priest vid. LOL! Stroke me, stroke me! STROKE!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 12:42:56 PM »
I love that Squire video.  :D Pretty bad by ANY standards. Definitely cause for career death. Halford may be gay, but he never did any of THAT in a Priest vid. LOL! Stroke me, stroke me! STROKE!

True, but "Turbo Lover" has never been the same since...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I've just gone digging in the collection... found some Billy Squier, some Elton John, some Judas Priest, there's even a Scissor Sisters CD (really like Return to Oz and It Can't Come Quickly Enough...); make that 2; I've downloaded a number of Nasty Habits stuff, too... really rate Jill Sobule's off-the-wallness (Mexican Wrestler and San Francisco are particular faves) - there's more than one or two Queen records in the collection...

Sexuality has never been an issue with me - it's simply the music...

Sometimes, post out-of-the-closet, it's quite humerous to read the lyrics...

I remember my rather naive younger sister walking through the house when she was leaving her Bay-City-Roller's years behind her singing Tom Robinson's Sing If You're Glad To Be Gay and explaining that it was not entirely about being overtly happy... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Because he was gay and could not live up to it or because he was straight yet saw himself saddled with the image?  ???

When Halford came out, it didn't hurt his career. Leaving Judas Priest did (and hurt theirs). And heavy metal is much more straight-macho than AOR hard rock ever was. Handled properly, I doubt it has to be such a career killer, even back then. You can credibly sing love and sex songs without using the words "she" or "her". Steadfastly straight people buy Elton John CDs without giving a damn.

It had nothing to do with sexual orientation.
It had everything to do with the fact that the video was incredibly silly - even "gay" - to use a very un-PC synonym. I can almost guarantee you that if "Living After Midnight" had been blessed with a video that featured Halford prancing around his apartment in a ripped pink t-shirt, singing his heart out, Priest would have suffered a similar fate. Elton John, Freddie Mercury, etc. played up that aspect into campiness. Squier's music was considered hard edged, "tough" rock up to that point, and the visual didn't reinforce the perception. After that video he lost his street cred.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 02:15:58 PM »

Aint that the truth. I think I recall Halford himself saying that in retrospect, the Priest catalog is full of gay imagery - lying beneath the surface in his lyrics. Victim of Changes indeed.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »
Hey, I like Turbo Lover, sort of like Judas Priest pastiching Billy Idol.

I've seen Squier live (with the great Kenny Aaronson on bass) and though he was first and foremost a gifted musician cranking out his pop rock. There was nothing very male or unmale about him. I think his songwriting went down the drain with the Emotions in Motion album though. And even his career-ruining vid is nowhere as camp as the stuff Hall & Oates regularly did.

When Halford outed himself in the early nineties it was about as much news to me as Liberace saying he likes the company of men. Anybody with eyes, ears and a lyric sheet could have realized even in the seventies, long before Robbie went Village People in his biker outfits, that Herr Halfors is a very gay man, but one that doesn't take himself too seriously.

And I love the Scissors Sisters, have the new album reserved for me at my CD drinking hole, will pick it up at the weekend. "Don"t feel like dancing" was so utterly brilliant and contagiously catchy a tune.

BTW, the vid Halford did in his musically interesting, but ill-fated Two project with Trent Razor pretty much told all about what Rob considers good sex.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
I think both Uwe and I saw the same tour - supporting Whitesnake? - I even saw the gig in Germany (Dusseldorf)... went down well (pun intended) with the brits in the crowd, and there was a few hundred...

Regarding Mr Halford... when Hell Bent For Leather came out, the US marketing campaign went like this - "Judas Priest Are Bent, Hell Bent For Leather..." At that point, not (publicly) out in the open, that advertising campaign just would never have worked in the UK... someone who is bent is slang for being gay, even today, amongst those wonderfully unenlightened souls... :rolleyes:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »

Aint that the truth. ... Victim of Changes indeed.

:mrgreen:

I loves me some Priest but listening to those lyrics sure takes on a different character since he jumped out of the closet! I guess there are some who may feel different about Rob now (and may have not given Priest a chance back in the day due to his orientation), but I don't buy the idea that it would have stalled or killed their career. I knew something was up with Freddie from the first Queen poster I ever saw (with him fiercely prancing around in hot pants), but it didn't change anything once I heard enough of them to realize how great a band they were. If anything, Freddie's inward issues and struggles brought a depth to his music that may not have been there otherwise. Listening to Innuendo and especially Made in Heaven are almost a spiritual experience to me because of how bare Freddie's emotions are laid out in those tracks.

Regarding the 'bent for leather' quote, I can just imagine what a laugh that ad campaign must have gotten out of Rob. If not then, certainly in hindsight!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 11:57:06 AM »
There was no mistake in that campaign - we call it a p*ss-take... ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 12:11:45 PM »
Were you guys deaf or what?  :mrgreen: In the whole Priest CBS catalogue there is not one song that contains "she", "her", "woman", "babe", "girl", "honey" etc. We're talking dozens of albums!!! It was SO conspicious.

Now the pre-CBS song "Victim of Changes" does contain the lines "whiskey woman, don't you know that you are driving me insane" and "once she was beautiful, once she was mine, changes come over her body ..." etc, but the explanation is easy: That song was co-written by Al Atkins, the first - straight - Priest singer before Halford joined. Same applies to Rocka Rolla (with a yery young Rob with girlie locks and absolutely no chest hair!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0iX2q4pw8&feature=related

It was all clear long before he did those mannered announcements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NomJuAkoA&feature=related

or revealed recreational details of his life:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...