Author Topic: Duesenburg Star Player bass  (Read 9653 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Duesenburg Star Player bass
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »
OK, I love the look and hollow body.  What can you tell us about them?  Also, anyone know why the pics on the German site show 2 pups and only one on the USA site?

Curious!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Duesenburg Star Player bass
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
Uwe told something about Duff playing this bass. In the next issue of De Bassist we have a test, but I didn't do that one.

I had a similar question. Until now I've only seen one pick up pictures while all specs say two pick ups. Strange! Even in there own brochures you see one pup and specs tell about two.

There's also a great new Duesenberg with spilt pick up. Love that one to.

About the bass humbuckers: I know a guy who bought one for a project bass. It's just a six pole guitar bucker!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »
I've played a Duesenberg once, but I can't remember how it sounded or felt! With VR, Duff plays mostly Fenders, a black Aerdodyne one,  his signature one in white and I think another signature one in black. They all sound similar, deep lows and snarling highs, hardly any mides so as to not get into the way of the guitars, he picks right over the splitcoil and must have the pups close to the strings, so its clacke-dee-clacke-dee-oooomph-oooomph all of the time. He probably switches basses because they have different tunings (they're all four strings). When he played the Duesnberg, he suddenly had rich mids and a more subtle, less focused low end plus the snarling highs were gone. He used it for the more ballady stuff only.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »
The Duesenberg design looks a bit like Darkstar's. Chrome and black. Maybe I'll put one at the bridge in my EB0 project.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:02 AM »
I'm more interested in the bridge - anyone got the down low on that?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »

Also check the bridge at the new Model D.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
As I remember things they came out with a one pickup 32" scale Star Bass at first. It was reviewed in a Swedish guitar mag which I subscribe to. When I looked again about 6 months ago I was surprised they now had two pickups and 30.3" scale. Right from the start Duff McKagan was promoting it with a two pickup model though. I like those a lot by the looks probably has a lot to do with the Art Deco-ish details. Have'nt had the chance to try one out yet.

Essential Tension

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »
I've played a Duesenberg once, but I can't remember how it sounded or felt! With VR, Duff plays mostly Fenders, a black Aerdodyne one,  his signature one in white and I think another signature one in black. They all sound similar, deep lows and snarling highs, hardly any mides so as to not get into the way of the guitars, he picks right over the splitcoil and must have the pups close to the strings, so its clacke-dee-clacke-dee-oooomph-oooomph all of the time. He probably switches basses because they have different tunings (they're all four strings). When he played the Duesnberg, he suddenly had rich mids and a more subtle, less focused low end plus the snarling highs were gone. He used it for the more ballady stuff only.

I saw VR on Thursday. Duff did play one of these on 'the more ballady stuff' - I didn't recognise it until I saw the pics here, I'd been wondering what it was.
DAVE

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »
I've culled the herd a little lately - offed a Gibson Ripper and Gibson RD, plus an Aussie Maton JB-4, and used some of those funds to buy a Markbass TTE-500.  Another significant portion of that GAS fund has just been applied to this Duesenberg Starplayer, which I scored from Switzerland at a relative bargain price compared to prices in the US or Australia ....

I played one of these in a store locally (the blue and white GT striped "Mike Campbell" signature version) and the build quality is outstanding, with a lot of tonal variety for a hollow body, which sold me.  There is a YouTube video of a guy test driving one of these that demonstrates the tone pretty well.

It has enough of a tone palette to cover my blues and classic rock gigs, and I might even sneak it onstage in some Stones tribute shows because the average audience member would probably think it looks a bit like a Framus LOL
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »
Those look very similar to Waterstone's 4-stringers. Where are the Duesenbergs made and if anyone has played both, how do they compare?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
Oh lordy, that Deusie is just freakin' gorgeous!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »
Oh lordy, that Deusie is just freakin' gorgeous!!!!

liking it... burp
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 03:43:05 AM »
Duesenberg is German and I think all models are made in Germany. I would love to have a comp striped one!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 08:11:33 AM »
I've always been immersed by the Duesenburg styling and build appearance.  I'd love to play one someday.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »
Mark how much did you get for the Maton if you dont mind me asking? Was it an 80's or recent model? I have a soft spot for them. I had a JB4 fretless for years and its the only bass I regret selling even though I struggled with the sound of the Dimarzio pups. A lot more options for pups these days.
Digresion our specialty!