Author Topic: Got my new Bachbird but the headstock CRACKED!!!  (Read 2700 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Got my new Bachbird but the headstock CRACKED!!!
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
So, my first Bachbird arrived at my doorstep about 25 minutes ago and I can't ell you how excited I was. The bass looks great but one major problem............ the headstock is CRACKED!!! What a huge bummer. I just e-mailed Rob about it. I really, really hope I can get this resolved with no problems. I'm a little worried with it being international shipping and the language barrier. I really don't want to have to pay for shipping again. Has this happened to anybody else? What a drag. 

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: Got my new Bachbird but the headstock CRACKED!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:53:26 AM »
I went through Rob the first time and never had any problems. Good luck!
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »
One thing I'd mention is to save all the packaging. Get pictures of it (the packaging) from all sides as well in case you have to make a claim with the carrier.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
Cool, I will. There was no real damage to the box though so.... It's that damn t-bird neck that was designed so crappy and fragile. I really hope this is not going to be a problem, I really couldn't afford to buy this bass to begin with so I hope they don't try to charge me anymore money.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »
Looks like you got the most authentic T-Bird clone of all of us.  Bummer news.  Good news is that your cover is packed and ready to ship as soon as PayPal makes the transfer.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
Yeah, it just figures that of all the people that have ordered these basses I am the only that received one with a cracked headstock. Just my luck. I don't mind waiting for another I just hope that it won't be a huge ordeal and that Bach will be cool about it.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
It sucks when you wait that long. My box looked like it was danced on by gypsy's!I was amazed it was not trashed.
Definitely take pics .  Hang in there
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »
That's a bummer hope you get it sorted out.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 02:23:51 PM »
I am terribly sorry to hear this.
The bass was perfectly in order when it left the office.
I am 100% sure about that because I gave it a complete set up: intonation, trussrod.

I will contact DPD first thing monday.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »
Bummer!!!   :-\
Was it double boxed & padded thoroughly??

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »
It was not completely double boxed. It had two layers of cardboard on both ends though. It was padded but I feel that there could've been more support under the neck. There was support right where the nut is, where the headstock meets the neck but I feel that it would have benefitted from having support beneath the middle of the neck too.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »
My first BaCHbird arrived with a huge crease in the box right in the middle of where the neck was. The bass was undamaged though.
The question is, are you going to get yours fixed or send it back? If I were you, I'd get an estimate, file a claim with the shipper, get it fixed and get a new one. Seriously, you will love that bass!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »
Rob has contacted the shipper, let's give things a chance to get worked out.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
Right on, daddio.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Yes, yes, I know he has contacted the shipper and hopefully it will all get taken care of. I don't want to give anyone the impression that I haven't already spoken with Rob or that he was not being responsive or helpful. Sorry, if anyone thought that.

Yes, I would definitely like a brand new. I just figured that I bought a brand new bass (which doesn't happen very often) so I would like a brand new bass with no issues/repairs. If I was buying something that was vintage or rare then I would consider keeping it because of the rare factor and not being able to find another one but if it's brand new and another one is available then I would definitely not settle for one that was broken. Also, as we all know, T-bird necks are extremely fragile to begin with and playing a brand new one already worries me so starting off with it cracked is not such a great idea. With my luck I will get a new one and end up breaking it on my own at some point anyway. Ha..ha.

Obviously, if there is an option to get a new one and keep the broken then of course I am all for it but I don't want to start thinking that way and get greedy about it. I would be happy with one that is in good condition. I'm not sure how that stuff works. If the shipper reimburses you when a guitar is damaged what happens to the damaged guitar? I have shipped and received a bunch of guitars over the years but I have never had this happen to me so I don't even know what happens in this situation.