Author Topic: I more than kinda want this...  (Read 13392 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I more than kinda want this...
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2010, 04:23:23 AM »
As Status Quo here amply demonstrate:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2010, 04:50:56 AM »
A great example.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2010, 06:15:02 AM »
My god Quo sound like a bloody cabaret act without the Coglin Lancaster rhythm section.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2010, 06:24:27 AM »
True, I miss them both. Lancaster's combination of root note eighths with his little idiosyncratic fills was like no other. Quo can still entertain live, but in the seventies they were awe-inspiring and Lancaster was a large part of that. I also miss his gruff vocals.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 04, 2010, 07:51:33 AM »
John Hartford was another one...sort of like Jimi Hendrix only on fiddle and banjo...just played some harmonically out-there stuff and made it sound "traditional".

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
You're taking one Creedence song which is not typical of their catalog. Even so, it sounds to me like John Fogerty self-consciously pretending to be a folkie, certainly not even remotely like traditional country music.

Consider that CCR's best known covers are of Marvin Gaye and Little Richard. Not Lefty Frizzell and Webb Pierce.

Come to think of it, though, self-conscious pretentiousness is what John Fogerty does best.  :P

P.S. I never knew that anyone considered John Hartford anything but a pop artist. NTTAWWT.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2010, 09:17:58 AM »
The pop artist thing with John Hartford was a very small percentage of what he did...although with his TV show and everything, it got the most exposure.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
How about a bit of the Ozarks...

Still have the vinyl for this; not a perfect version of the song but is available on CD these days...

Saw them do this live way back when, full jug band version, with a bowed saw... love it or hate it...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
You're taking one Creedence song which is not typical of their catalog. Even so, it sounds to me like John Fogerty self-consciously pretending to be a folkie, certainly not even remotely like traditional country music.

Consider that CCR's best known covers are of Marvin Gaye and Little Richard. Not Lefty Frizzell and Webb Pierce.

Come to think of it, though, self-conscious pretentiousness is what John Fogerty does best.  :P

P.S. I never knew that anyone considered John Hartford anything but a pop artist. NTTAWWT.

Must be an Australian thing but here their biggest hits were Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising, Out My Backdoor and Who'll Stop The Rain.

Digresion our specialty!

Hornisse

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
I can't stand Fogerty anymore.  He wouldn't even perform with his old band and the R&R Hall Of Fame induction......

Creedence Clearwater Revival was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993. John Fogerty refused to perform with his former band mates and fellow inductees Stu Cook and Doug Clifford during the musical portion of the induction ceremony. In place of the surviving members of CCR, Fogerty recruited session musicians on drums and bass

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2010, 07:46:52 PM »

John Hartford was a Bluegrass artist who happened to write a great song that was covered by a pop artist.

And a Steamboat Captian. He would take the Julia Belle Swain up the river and give free concerts off her deck.

Oh, and  Put a Spell on You by Screamin Jay Hawkins is more like it:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »
John Hartford was a Bluegrass artist who happened to write a great song that was covered by a pop artist.

And a Steamboat Captian. He would take the Julia Belle Swain up the river and give free concerts off her deck.

I did see him playing banjo and fiddle on TV, the music struck me as pop. OTOH only seeing someone on TV and only hearing his music that charted can give a wrong impression.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2010, 03:54:34 AM »
I can't stand Fogerty anymore.  He wouldn't even perform with his old band and the R&R Hall Of Fame induction......

Creedence Clearwater Revival was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993. John Fogerty refused to perform with his former band mates and fellow inductees Stu Cook and Doug Clifford during the musical portion of the induction ceremony. In place of the surviving members of CCR, Fogerty recruited session musicians on drums and bass

They certainly seem a dysfunctional bunch and I can't say that everything I read about Herr Forgerty endears him to me. This article here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival

- though Wikipedia - is the best I have read on the CCR-internal issues in a long time. Seems like John Fogerty was a prat as a young man and the others haven't forgotten that and that they also resented him for plain bad bargaining with Fantasy Records/Saul Zaentz.

Reminds me a bit of the ongoing embitterment of Paul Weller with the other two ex-Jam members though he has Foxton play bass on one track on his recent solo album which might indicate some relaxation in the feud.

Dissolved or separated bands Bands can be as petty as estranged couples: When Steve Morse-era Deep Purple sold T-shirts with the Machine Head sleeve (which shows a blurred reflection of the whole 1971 line-up including Blackmore), Blackmore intervened demanding royalties for the use of his image on an to all intents and purposes already historic album sleeve on a garment. That was petty. As was new Deep Purple's reaction: They brought out the Machine Head T-shirt in a new version with Blackmore's image removed. As if Machine Head had been recorded without him.  :rolleyes:

I can never bring myself to hate for long anybody I once had a close relationship with (at worst I turn indifferent eventually) and marvel at people who can (there seem to be a lot of them even among my relatives and close friends!). At one point, it is always water down the bridge for me and while I can be nostalgic about the good things in my past, I never dwell much on what went wrong. Probably comes from being a middle child  8) :-\ 8) and always rationalizing that the fact that your older and younger brother see more attention than you is not per se directed against you personally, but that there might be objective reasons for how other people, in this case your parents, act!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:59:54 AM by uwe »

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »
I've gotta admit I never heard of John Hartford before I read his name here. So I looked him up. What a guy! What an entertainer! And such a tunesmith! I am not very good, well, not good at all, with these computers, so I can't do this the way I would have like, as with Quo here above, but I will give you this here link with Hartford, that also includes the bass player Roy Huskey Jr. I think it's absolutely astonishing! Gonne me some records by that guy. Watch and enjoy:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2010, 04:58:05 AM »
Wow! It worked! It ain't me, babe, no-no-no! It's the fantastic Outpost that made the Youtube clip work! Wow! And wow, again!