Author Topic: Not a guitar but its 'lectric  (Read 1223 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Not a guitar but its 'lectric
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:58:45 PM »
Hi guys I lurk here quite a bit and know a several of your from other boards (some happily in the past)  8)
I finally finished an EUB and I'm tough enough to take hits as I'd like some honest critics.

The bump in the back of the neck is a ref point for a "D" neck.

YES it does really look better live than in photos. . .I have made this to be a mule to test things on.  I am not an upright player or a builder, but it sounded like fun so I made several Piezo's to try and wired it with 1/8" jacks under the neck and beside the bridge for easy changes.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not a guitar but its 'lectric
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »
That's rather amazing... I'm forever surprised and impressed by the skill and inventiveness of the guys that post here. I hope you know you know you need to post sound samples now. ;)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
Very cool!  Can you explain the "D" neck thing?  Sorry, I'm not an upright guy at all so I'm totally clueless.

Did you find some plans somewhere or did you just find something to measure and just winged it ?

Yeah, and sound samples would be nice!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:01:01 PM »
Thanks Guys!
I just sort of faked it after looking at every EUB website I could find.
The "d" neck thing can also be an E flat neck... basically, it is where the neck on an upright swells to join the body of the bass.  So that woithout frets it provides a red point.  On an upright it is about 7 inches or so deep so I whittled a pocket where the D note on the G string would be....7th fret  ;) and in this bass it works so that when my thumb is in the pocket there my index finger notes a D.

I'm not an upright player either but I want one to play and critique this one for me.  I like it but what do I know?

After years of watching Bill fix and build and Karl Hoyt make some nice pieces I thought I'd give it a try. 

Of yeah it is a 41.8 - 42" scale so it really is HUGE.
Thanks again.

Rob

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
very different... well done...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:50:27 AM »
Wow, that is so cool!  Nice job.  I'd love to build one eventually myself.  I've flirted with an full size upright, but really don't have the room or patience for one.  I could get into learning on something like this.  So you did this without any plans?  I would think getting the neck angle right would be a real challenge.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:22:30 AM »
No doubt about it that thing rocks!

Every upright bass player I have heard (in my community) would be much better off with something "lectric" like this.

I'm sure a standard upright can be amplified properly but I have not seen it in any of the "kick and stab" joints I have to play  ;D

Cool ideas to make it more friendly for non-upright players.
Bring on the Nubiles

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:01:16 AM »
Mom said.... ! I love this . Keep us posted . I have plans somewhere to build a stand up bass with a galvanized wash tub for a body.  I may lean in this direction . Maybe its the green ... :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed