Author Topic: Sansamp Leeds demo  (Read 4033 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Sansamp Leeds demo
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:15:44 AM »
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Sansamp Leeds demo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Those are some cool tones, but I noticed it never showed what the pedal was plugged into on either end. I'm a Sansamp fan, but the 'replace your old-junky-tube-amp with a single pedal' crowd gets old REAL fast. It's obviously based on a Hiwatt and it's well worth noting that the tones emulated could easily be duplicated by a single REAL Hiwatt amp without the pedal. ...now what WAS the amp it was plugged into????;)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:49:37 AM »
That's true, the guy tells nothing about the amp/guitar/bass he used. Its a new product, so that explains the lack of youtube videos for it, or clips in general. Anyway, it sounds interesting!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 01:40:01 AM »
I believe the SanSamp SVT/Fliptop pedal comes with a DI out soon. Maybe this one too?

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:33:31 AM »
it's well worth noting that the tones emulated could easily be duplicated by a single REAL Hiwatt amp without the pedal. ...now what WAS the amp it was plugged into????;)

I'm guessing that is was not plugged into an amp at all, but instead plugged straight into a computer and recorded. These pedals seem to be just the thing for home recording for people who live in apartments or who can't afford the space and cost to build a real home studio. They provide a reasonable tube tone without having to mike a cranked amp.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 05:49:55 AM »
I love the Bass Driver DI and the VT pedal sounds good. I can easily tell the difference between it and the real thing, but what it does, it does extremely well and for people who want a wide variety of different amp sounds without a wide variety of amps, it's super. I'm seriously considering getting that Leeds pedal just to see what it would sound like in front of my Ampeg, and Trace and Aggie tube poweramps.

I'm guessing that is was not plugged into an amp at all, but instead plugged straight into a computer and recorded. These pedals seem to be just the thing for home recording for people who live in apartments or who can't afford the space and cost to build a real home studio. They provide a reasonable tube tone without having to mike a cranked amp.

"Plugged straight into a computer" doesn't necessarily mean that is what the pedal sounds like. If that is the case, who knows what the sound of the interface or what kind of editing or plug-ins have been applied to it. A band I am currently producing recorded all their basic tracks live, and all the bass tracks were a DI out of the amp. The bass player had a passive OLP Musicman copy going through a Nemesis 200 watt combo, but by using plugins, on different tracks, his tone varies from P-Bass through a B-15 to T-Bird through an SVT, just by judicious use of compression and EQ.  Even my audio interface itself imparted part of the sonic signature, with a nice bit of warmth coming from the preamps.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 06:27:41 AM »
I'm not much of a pedal guy, but these days there are a lot of pedals and emulators on amplifiers that are pretty darn good.
The new Roland amps are loaded with a variety of emulations of favorite tube amp sounds . They have brought a lot of toobie lovers in to the solid state world. They may not be perfect but they sure ain't bad :)
Rick

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »
I don't buy into pedal hype that often, but this has actually made me want another Tech 21 pedal! Since I don't have the 2500.00 to drop on a Reeves...
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
I sure didn't hear anything I'd spend $250 for...or $100 for.

As far as the bass side, all I'd need to do is choose the right instrument and tweak the EQ on the amp...or use the Baddest Monkey pedal I already have.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 10:10:32 AM »
I will be getting one, I absolutely love my VT pedal, so with both I could have two distinct bass tones at the "stomp" of a switch.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
Since I don't have the 2500.00 to drop on a Reeves...

...can't believe I forgot to mention this until now: most Sound City amps are pretty much the same as Hiwatts (Reeves worked there first) and the ones that aren't just have a crappy active EQ preamp that is easily modified to Hiwatt specs. They're not quite the sleeper amps they used to be, but they are considerably cheaper than Hiwatts.

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
...can't believe I forgot to mention this until now: most Sound City amps are pretty much the same as Hiwatts (Reeves worked there first) and the ones that aren't just have a crappy active EQ preamp that is easily modified to Hiwatt specs. They're not quite the sleeper amps they used to be, but they are considerably cheaper than Hiwatts.

Hey, let me know if you ever see one for a reasonable amount around you...
-Dave

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »
There's never anything like that around here. I probably have more GOOD bass gear than every shop in town put together. I don't say that to brag, but to underscore just how rarely I encounter cool old amps nowadays. I won't go to the only shop in town that has vintage amps on a regular basis. The owner has lied to me too many times about things he had no need or cause to obfuscate. To put this in perspective, this is the store where I got my Sunn 2000S for $75 about five years ago, and there may be similar bargains in there now, but I will NOT deal with the guy anymore, nor would I reccomend anyone else do so. Your best bet is eBay, Craigslist, or the online music stores with searchable used inventories.

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Yeah...that's what I figured. Oh well, keep searching I guess...until April  ;)
-Dave

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 04:05:57 PM »
...can't believe I forgot to mention this until now: most Sound City amps are pretty much the same as Hiwatts (Reeves worked there first) and the ones that aren't just have a crappy active EQ preamp that is easily modified to Hiwatt specs.

That's come up on a few threads in the past, PBG... I started off on a Sound City (not including a ghastly 30w combo), and have used the cabs, and Dave, keep a search open, they do come up from time-to-time, but do expect to have to do some work...

Internally, they are very similar, just visually...

Mine died when a transformer decided to do a fire-works display... the cabs (a pair of slimline 412 open-backs) lasted some years more and looked quite cool with my Hiwatt - I regret their passing...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...