Author Topic: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?  (Read 12804 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: The Who At The Super Bowl - PinoBird?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 11:48:25 AM »
Hell, we have someone here who does exactly that at every show (even in that hot leather skeleton outfit)!  ;)
Curt was first on my mind, Hell I could do a better job than Pino.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
it seems like cover bands and tribute guys are the ones most interested in playing songs like they were recorded. i doubt the who at this point could even duplicate their tunes exactly.

Scott, you Really think you can do a better job than Pino? this one leaves me speechless.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
With all humility yes.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
Zak's history with Keith is well known to Beatle nerds everywhere. Last night I mentioned on a post elsewhere that Ringo's genes and Keith's enduring teaching influence have combined to make Zak one of the greatest rock drummers working today. The demand for Zak as a drummer in and among England's big bands is the same as it is for Josh Freese in the U.S. Zak nails it in every band he works with.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
Considering all the Thunderbird parts that John hoarded for the Fenderbirds, there's a 50-50 chance that those are originals - IMHO.

I'd be pretty certain that a couple went "missing" and ended up on mine...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »
AWESOME show! The cimbals are BADASS!
Sad indeed that you can't hear the freakin' bass tho!!!! Fokk!
That is just WRONG.

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
it seems like cover bands and tribute guys are the ones most interested in playing songs like they were recorded. i doubt the who at this point could even duplicate their tunes exactly.

Scott, you Really think you can do a better job than Pino? this one leaves me speechless.

Thanks for the props Scott!
...and yes, I would say Scott would play The WHO better than Pino.

Pino is a great session player… I actually LOVE his playing on Pete Townshend’s solo tune “Give Blood".
...some of the best fretless playing on a rock tune, IMHO.
But he heavily lacks while playing with The WHO. Funny thing is that from what I read,
when Pete asked him to play with The WHO in 2002 he told Pino that he would have to play much louder than he had in the past… guess he didn’t listen.

…And personally, as far as WHO Tribute tunes go, as for me, I only try to religiously duplicate one song as it was recorded, and that is The Real Me.
I’ll be 38 in March and have been worshiping at the alter of Entwistle since I was 15.
I have countless bootlegs that I’ve played along to… so I can honestly say that when we perform I have a large number of bootleg versions to delve into… I think it also keeps it fresh. I love studio WHO, but am obsessed with "LIVE" WHO.

Alright… that’s my 2 cents.
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »
If you noticed, Pino's bass even had Gibson-esque knobs instead of chrome P-bass knobs or thinner, top-hat jazz knobs. There are even three of them-- perhaps the original Thunderbird circuit as well?

Not that it mattered. You couldn't hear him. Personally I thought the entire performance was pretty embarrassing for the Who, and I consider myself a pretty big fan. They did their best but you just can't be the voice of youthful rebellion at 60 years of age. I'm glad Pete didn't placate his image and break his guitar; what a hollow gesture that would have been (even though that whimpy Strat deserved it).
Half-speed Hawkwind

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 04:50:57 PM »
I'm glad Pete didn't placate his image and break his guitar; what a hollow gesture that would have been (even though that whimpy Strat deserved it).

Well, at this stage of the game, the Strat might be sturdier than Townshend.  And, you guys do know that Daltrey is something like 5'3", right?  Pete isn't much bigger.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
I thought the whole thing was sad except for the Tbird pups.

Yeah, I was let down too - very sad for me.   Perhaps Robert Plant has the right idea :sad:

Hornisse

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »
I thought they looked and sounded like a couple of old farts.  I nearly spit my drink out when they both yelled, "Sure plays a mean pinball" as they sounded like my old man impression....... :bored:

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »
I am left with a "so what"!!! i can't do what i did 40 years ago and they are still rockin. i have trouble doing once what i used to do all the time and i'm still rockin. (maybe just a bluse-ing! but what the heck) yeah Roger is short and Pete is short and deaf (not sure if he has had Kochlear implants or not!) and i know he can't hit the riffs like he used to because he can't hear them, nor Roger the youthful scream but they are The Who and i still connect :popcorn:
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
First I want to say I love The Who, second I don't hate Pino. As a life long fan of The Who and to be honest the demographic they are playing to they need to get it right. As the customer we decide what flys and what doesn't. They can make these, what could be there last performances a real tribute and testiment to their body of work ,instead we get watered down Kareoke versions of the songs. I don't care that Roger can't hit the high notes anymore, he still sings with conviction and Pete still seems to muster the aggression that drives him, neither are pitch perfect but at least it is real. I smiled ear to ear over Zak Starkey, clearly influenced by his Dad and Keith but yet making it his own. Pino should follow Zaks lead.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
i never took it that way Scott. all i remembered was a trip to Pittsburg Kansas in a black hearse to get pizza with a couple of nice girls with poofed out hair and listening to KC AM radio "i can see for miles" and i smiled. they are The Who, i'm not.  my hats off to you for being the artist you are and playing as you do when you play classic rock.  it is the same as my critique on Led. if i did not like them i would not have researched the origins of their music.

as for me, i'm still trying to hit some of those 16th notes Geezer hit and i'm still missing a few of them once in awhile. ;) ;)

and i like your original stuff too!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:48:38 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 01:21:48 AM »
I hope we get some answers about the bass. My colleague just interviewed Pino. Too late to ask now...
Fender made some P90-Strats for Pete. Will this be the first 'official' Fender/Gibson bass clone then?

Zak: I saw him with The Who and Oasis and he's great. Love him.
Pino: I guess The Who could have asked any bass player of a Who coverband, even playing the 'right' basses. But I think it's not okay to try to replicate the old sound. This is just a new 'Who' or 'The Two' as some people say. Like it or not.

I do like 'm but of course I prefer any DVD with JAE and Moon over any new DVD.