Author Topic: Hiwatt fun!  (Read 8023 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Hiwatt fun!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
Mad impetuous fool...  ;D

I don't really want to think too much about the value of mine... too scary, and potentially a one-off (if the wiring does not match a SAP or the Dave Gilmour model) as the name-plate has a differing model ID to anything else...

One of those links listed Stateside has gone for just short of $2200... and that looked in need of some tlc...

At a guess #4711 is 5 months younger than that baby you've got...

What's the serial numbers on Scott's and Birdie's...?

I'd recommend registering them with Mark Huss, though Gents...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
For that kind of money, I'd just go with one of these:
http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 05:08:34 AM »
 I paid around $1,500 (2,000 pounds) for my 1975 DR201 about a years ago. Mine is in nowhere near as nice a shape as Mike's, was his recovered ? Though mine does have the Slade  pedigree ;D I'll check the serial # today. It cost me about $150.00 to have it shipped over from the UK.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »
Thanks again to Scott for making me want something he has. Can you guys in the US keep a look out for one of these, new or used.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Those Reeves' look pretty faithful...

I guess it's like the difference between "vintage" or "clone"... iirc, there are two "Hiwatt" makers these days... It would be interesting to try an equivalent, side-by-side comparison...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
I'm sensing a tube amp in the Fraulein's future...  ;)

Yes indeed, this may cause Der Fraulien's fall from solid state grace! :D :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 02:44:03 PM »
Thanks again to Scott for making me want something he has. Can you guys in the US keep a look out for one of these, new or used.

Just as an FYI, the amp pictured is a DR103, the 100 watt model. The Reeves amp is a copy of the 203 which is a little beefier sounding and of course, twice the power. For the money, the Reeves is really a super bargain. With an older amp, you never know what you're getting into with a used one. Normally, I'm all for used amps, but Hiwatts are also famous with guitar players (Pete Townsend, David Gilmour) so the old ones also tend to have had lots of guitar 'amp techs' "fix" them over the years, AND used ones are pretty pricey to start out with.  Lemme put it this way... I used to have a Hiwatt DR103 (didn't want to part with it, but it couldn't be helped); I can fix them myself, and if I had the money, I'd buy the Reeves in a second.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
I could sell mine and get all sorts of goodies... not gonna though...  :P

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
I could also sell my Wizard Bass 400 serial #2 (Cliff Williams of AC/DC has #1) and buy some goodies, too, but it ain't going anywhere either.

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »
...For the money, the Reeves is really a super bargain...if I had the money, I'd buy the Reeves in a second...

My thoughts exactly, I just wish I had 2500.00. Would you recommend the Reeves over the new Hiwatts?
-Dave

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 02:48:52 AM »
Yes.  From what I have heard, the new Hiwatt lineup has serious reliability issues. I know the bass player from the Killers quit using their DR405's live because he couldn't keep a single pair working and he has an endorsement. If you can find one, Harry Joyce made his own DR103 "copy" for awhile, but he died shortly after starting production, so they are very, very rare.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 05:46:22 AM »
I've never had the opportunity to play a Hiwatt, but I did get to try the Reeves.  Beast! Beast! Beast!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:47 AM »

I have to say after looking at that Reeves that I'm quite impressed! Since I doubt Lull will sell the Hiwatt it may be the choice, plus it's 200 watts and has a DI.

I'm amp horny  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

bassvirtuoso

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »

...and has a DI.

I'm amp horny  ;D

That makes two of us...maybe I should move to WA...
-Dave

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
That makes two of us...maybe I should move to WA...

Trust me on this Dave.................It's way better than Nebraska. I've been to your neck of the woods several times.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...