Author Topic: Stopbar tail piece for 3 point, anyone make a repro? worth it?  (Read 986 times)

Deathshead

• View Profile
Stopbar tail piece for 3 point, anyone make a repro? worth it?
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Hi there!, im new here but have made the rounds over the years on various other forums...

I have another epi les paul std on the way and im thinking about adding a vintage style tailpiece to the 3 point bridge setup, im thinking it might add a little bit tone wise and strings would also fit better.

I found a pic here of one mounted. 
Does anyone know where I could find one of these for a reasonable price?  Also, what are your thoughts on this mod? 

Thanks.
     Jason

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Stopbar tail piece for 3 point, anyone make a repro? worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:30:59 AM »
It doesn't really make much sense with the three point and looks cluttered to me. Japanese invented it on Ibanez and Greco TBird copies because they used drawings of TBirds from different eras to steal from.  :mrgreen:

It has its fans though here and they will make themselves heard, no doubt.

BTW: Welcome!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:37:20 AM »
Hi Uwe!, I have lurked around the Gibson parts for years, and you havent stopped making me jealous with your collection. :) 

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
 Welcome here Jason!

You might take a look at the projects thread as I belive one of our group has actually gone thru the great effort of making this part as a repro piece. Additionally Allparts may have made it too, tho I could be wrong there.
 Here's a Greco with one, as Uwe says from the factory that way.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:41:57 AM »
Hi and welcome! I think you can get one from Allparts, which looks slightly different up close (not enough for any layman to notice, I think). A proper vintage one could cost you $100 or more if you can find it. A repro from our own Dr. Bassman, if he has any available, will be a little less and brand new with no pitting. I have both and they're exact.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »
I'm not sure that you will achieve much difference in sustain with the mod... I played around with the set-up on my RD - thru the body, on the three-point, Badass (I), but to me it made little difference... I agree with Uwe re the looks - imo they look better with a two-point bridge...

The timbers do play with the sound, much more than any bridge ever would... finding what plays well "in your hands" is best...

Much of it goes with "feel" rather than "fact..."

Also depends if you are a "Chrome-Boy" or are your leanings more towards "The-Dark-Side"

Curiosity here and a general question, considering the "Chromies" out there... did Veleno ever make a bass...? (can't get more "chrome" than that...!)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
I've got 10 in the making now, but my machinist just can't get anything done in a timely fashion.  I'd like to find someone else, but the tooling up costs are way out there.  So, I just keep bugging him!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!